Railroad Line Forums - Doom!... Despair!... and Ag-o-ny!
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 195 ]  [ Total: 195 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Doom!... Despair!... and Ag-o-ny!
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks Topic Next Topic: Figure Source Review
Page: of 4

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2021 :  09:56:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Tintic Range
Section Hand

Posted - 03/15/2021 :  3:37:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Confession time!
I'm 26 years old. Which, with all respect intended, makes me somewhat of a child in this niche.

However Andre's observations are correct. The "younger generation", while still obsessed with heritage units and GEVOs, is pushing against the "tradition" peddled by Kalmbach and other old heads in the hobby literature for transition era and contemporary modeling. We want something NEW. Something UNIQUE. Something that other people aren't doing. And 19th century is fulfilling that desire.

The folks crying doom and gloom about the model railroading hobby as a whole and claiming that there is "no market" for the steam era aren't looking in the right places. We're not that interested in swap meets. You want to find the rising generation? Facebook is one place. But also look at other communications sites like Discord and Telegram. There is a thriving community of people under the age of 30 who are collaborating and compiling information about the 19th century that most people would hardly dream of. The Railroads of the 19th Century Discord group has an archive of every paint color reconstruction ever made by David Fletcher, Andrew Brandon and John Ott. A library of open-source historic documentation. You want an engineering drawing? Somebody there probably has it. You need Baldwin paint styles? They got it. Rosters? A member with R&LHS membership can get you anything you want.

Unfortunately the manufacturers haven't picked up on this yet. Of course the old names like Red Ball, Silver Crash, Art Griffin, etc. have aged out, but there are others like B.T.S., Bitter Creek, and Crown Point Model Engineering providing even better products using laser cutting and 3D printing technology. Bachmann at least recognizes that their new tool 4-4-0s are hot stuff and announced new paint schemes on this year's production run. Now to convince other companies that we are worth investing in so we don't have to spend ten times the retail value of a box of sticks on ebay.

Edited by - Tintic Range on 03/15/2021 3:42:01 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2021 :  4:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said and encouraging Josh

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2021 :  4:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very informative. Thank you.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2021 :  6:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tintic Range

Confession time!

The Railroads of the 19th Century Discord group

Josh, I've installed the app and registered with Discord how do I find this group?

Bob

It's only make-believe

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2021 :  6:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I'm concerned, the last thing I, or the rest of the world, need is MORE social media. sigh...

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

OK Hogger
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2021 :  9:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tyson:

LOL! Yup!

Titnic:

Glad to know I was interpreting things correctly, for it does seem there are some from generations younger than mine that are interested in TOC19.

Dave D:

Whether we avail ourselves of it or not, those younger than we are migrating toward different social media formats than those us internet lifers (been online since the beginning) are used to.

Andre

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2021 :  9:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

As far as I'm concerned, the last thing I, or the rest of the world, need is MORE social media. sigh...

dave

It seems to be more secure than facebook but, we'll see...

Bob

It's only make-believe

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2021 :  9:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting viewpoints, on the status of the hobby. I'm old enough to remember Steam Engines pulling into the yard and roundhouse about 2 city blocks from my childhood home. My dad had been a gandy dancer on the C & O, and ended up working 43 years as a machinist at EMD in LaGrange, Illinois. Every week, the railroads were trading in Steam Engines to EMD and buying F-Units and GP's as fast as they were assembled. It was like seeing an elephant burial ground as engine after engine were dismantled and turned back into scrap iron. 40+ years ago, I built a 4-4-0 American engine in 1/8 scale 'Live Steam'. It took 9 months to built it using mostly handtools and the used Southbend lathe that I bought at an auction. The rules and regs were not as stringent as today, and I was able to weld my own boiler. I ended up selling that engine as well as some castings that I made at the time. Basically leaving model railroading in the rear view mirror of the vehicle restorations that became 'my new hobby'. Another 'old car collecting' is a dying hobby veil came over us. Well, that's not true. Hobby's are cyclical, plain and simple. If enough interest is generated in early steam, it won't happen overnight, but the manufacturers will follow the money. You can bet that they are watching those eBay prices and activity, and figuring a way into your wallet. If you live long enough, you'll see miniskirts and bell-bottoms make a comeback. CYCLICAL, remember that word when you think of any hobby. How many 'scrapbooking stores have you seen lately?

BTW another TLA.

[/ramble]

Jim

Take the red pill

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2021 :  10:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit dave1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If this era is big with 30 somethings can I get two votes because I'm over 60?

Dave Husman

Iron Men and wooden cars
Visit my website : www.wnbranch.com

Tintic Range
Section Hand

Posted - 03/16/2021 :  12:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the original topic of ebay prices, I'll admit that we (the young guys) are responsible for a sudden spike in prices for the Bachmann Norris 4-2-0s. A few weeks ago a member of the Discord group revealed that they are developing 3D printed conversion kits to turn them into a Central Pacific switcher, and we all made a rush on ebay to buy as many base models as we could. Almost overnight prices for the Lafayette, Pegasus and Prussia train sets jumped from around $80 to $150-$275. Oops.

There is definitely a disparity between supply and demand in this corner of model railroading.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2021 :  09:30:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

On the original topic of ebay prices, I'll admit that we (the young guys) are responsible for a sudden spike in prices for the Bachmann Norris 4-2-0s. A few weeks ago a member of the Discord group revealed that they are developing 3D printed conversion kits to turn them into a Central Pacific switcher, and we all made a rush on ebay to buy as many base models as we could. Almost overnight prices for the Lafayette, Pegasus and Prussia train sets jumped from around $80 to $150-$275. Oops.

There is definitely a disparity between supply and demand in this corner of model railroading.

Now some enterprising young modeler needs to design, build, and market a power unit for the 3D printed top ends and keep the price reasonable. That's how it has been done in the past. It's not rocket science.

Opportunity!

Jim

Take the red pill

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2021 :  5:08:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

quote:

Now some enterprising young modeler needs to design, build, and market a power unit for the 3D printed top ends and keep the price reasonable. That's how it has been done in the past. It's not rocket science.

Opportunity!

Jim

They are Jim. But; what's a reasonable price? And how do you get enough weight since you can't (yet) print metal.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2021 :  5:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28
They are Jim. But; what's a reasonable price? And how do you get enough weight since you can't (yet) print metal.

Bob

Looks like a need for a water jet or CNC mill for milling the brass frames. Don't know if lasers are capable of cutting brass. Or lost wax casting.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/16/2021 :  7:36:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

quote:

Opportunity!

Jim

Bob

That is where one needs to use that 'tool' between their ears. There are certainly prototypes for mechanical design work. Pricing comes during the development process. Having an idea of what you want to accomplish, and then figuring out what it will cost to do it. Almost every model engine in production right now uses metal parts for powering them, and a plastic shell. making a power unit that works for this application at a lower price is the requirement. Like I said, it's not rocket science.

Jim

Take the red pill

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: New source for 3D printed arch-bar trucks Topic Next Topic: Figure Source Review  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000