Railroad Line Forums - SRMW's kit No. 240 HO Car Shop - Diesel Shop Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 180 ]  [ Total: 181 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SRMW's kit No. 240 HO Car Shop - Diesel Shop Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Castle De Chanel Build ( A Castle on a Cliff ) Topic Next Topic: River Dam Model kits - Assembly and review
Page: of 21

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/21/2021 :  11:48:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looking good!

diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie', until you can find a rock.

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 02/21/2021 :  12:17:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, David & Kevin, thanks for your posts!

quote:
Originally posted by mecrr

Greg, why did you seal the other plaster castings before glueing, unlike what you did with the machine shop?
David

The machine shop was self contained, so that was easy to put together first without causing me any problems(I hope) down the road.
I just wanted to get stronger glue joints on the walls that I could do that with before sealing them.
Whereas the other cast wall components will be combined with some wooden parts in the sidewalls and will be assembled with a slight setback from the front & back walls.
So once all of the other wall components are added and glued together it would make it very difficult to seal & paint those parts after they were assembled.
I also wanted to paint all of the wall castings at the same time to try and achieve similar looks & finishes on all of them.
So I figured I'd better follow the kit's instructions, in case I accidentally mess something up.
I hope that answers your question.

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 02/21/2021 12:19:36 PM

mecrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/21/2021 :  12:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got it, thanks Greg
David

A Maine Expatriate living in the valley of Northern California - Modeling in HO.
David Stickney

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 02/21/2021 :  2:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, this is today's update of this Car shop/Diesel shop build.
On the machine shop section of this car shop, I forgot to mention one more thing.
On the front wall D1 there is also a top cornice that needs to be sanded off, so that this machine shop sits tightly beside the main shop.
My pen is pointing to the cornice that I'm talking about shown below.

This is how it should look after sanding it off.

The instructions now tell us to now paint the perimeter of the inside walls 3 or 4 feet up from the bottom with black paint.
This apparently reduced the mess of splattering grease & cleaning fluids.
I used the short concrete wall castings as a guild for my painters tape to follow, while masking off these sections on the walls.

These are all of the walls sections masked off, that the instructions tell us to do.

I also masked off the brick detail on the front & back walls so I didn't get black paint on those areas as well.

I then spray painted those areas with flat black paint.

This is how they came out looking after the paint had dried, and I removed all of the painters tape.

I also decided to do the same thing to the machine shop walls.

I also decided now was the time to cut out the large front door openings before starting to paint the brick outsides of this shop.
To do this you use a razor saw to cut through the upright section on either sides of the door openings first.

And then to use an No.11 blade to score along the top of the opening.

Don't forget to be gentle during this process
and both openings came out nicely.

The next steps will be painting the brick textures on the outside of this shop.
So that's all I have for today!

Greg

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  3:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again everyone, well I have begun the process of painting my exterior bricks on the Hydrocal wall castings.
The instructions suggest using "Krylon" primer red in a spray can.
I looked for the "Krylon" brand here in Canada but could not find any in the 3 different stores that I went too.
So I'm just going to do my wall castings the same way I've done them in the past.
First I begin with a colour called "Georgia Clay"
I add a dollop of paint into a dish with a bit of water to help thin the paint out a bit and brush it on.
I try to avoid getting it on areas where it's not needed.

Just brush it on in the same directions as the rows of bricks.
And allow drying time between each coat, I let my first coat sit overnight.

This is how my walls came out looking after a couple of coats of paint were applied.

I then apply another colour over top of this one using the same brand paint but this time "Burnt Umber"
Same sort of thing, thinned down using water into a wash over top of the Georgia Clay.

This is how the walls looked after that.

I also painted the concrete foundation sections using "Poly Scale" concrete colour.

I will probably give these walls another wash of the Burnt umber, and then I will start to paint individual bricks different colours to make some of them pop a bit.
However this is all I have to show you for now.

Greg

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  3:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, and a nice SBS, Greg! Keep plugging!

Pete
in Michigan

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  3:49:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress, Greg. A couple years ago I built a garage with an exposed interior. I wish I had known about the black at the base of the walls. I think it will add to the look of the interior.

George

Fly Army

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  7:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is looking really good, Greg. I didn't know about the black on the lower portion of the walls. It makes sense.

Chuck

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  8:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete, George & Chuck, thanks for your posts!

I didn't know about the black being painted on either, so I guess craftsman kits are educational as well!

One photo I forgot to include in the last update was this one shown below.
As I mentioned to David, the sidewalls on this shop have a slight setback from the front & back walls.
So you end up seeing a small amount of the backsides of the front & back walls, after the sidewalls have been attached to them.
So I scrapped a bit of the bottom black off and painted the backside edges as I did the frontside bricks.

Greg

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  9:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Greg.

That wash of burnt umber worked well to dirty up the initial colour.

Cheers, Mark.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  9:27:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thatís a good brick color. Something to remember.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/22/2021 :  11:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I agree...the paints make a very good color for weathered brick.

David Guffey

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  11:31:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, Mike & David, thanks for your posts!

So this is how the wall castings now look after painting the odd brick here and there with various shades, and painting the stone foundation & sills and doors.
I did do another wash of the Burnt Umber over top of everything except the doors.
I also painted the bricked up rear doors and bricked up windows a rust colour to give them a slightly different look.
Since they were bricked up years after the building had been built, they could not find the right matching bricks anymore.

Greg

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  12:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW, you do such neat work Greg!!!!

GOOD SHOW !!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/23/2021 :  1:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the color Greg. And the other random bricks.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: Castle De Chanel Build ( A Castle on a Cliff ) Topic Next Topic: River Dam Model kits - Assembly and review  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000