Railroad Line Forums - SRMW's kit No. 240 HO Car Shop - Diesel Shop Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 126 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: Dragonborn ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SRMW's kit No. 240 HO Car Shop - Diesel Shop Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: River Dam Model kits - Assembly and review Topic Next Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit
Page: of 21

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  01:57:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg coming along very nice. The traveling crane looks really great.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  07:15:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's getting better and better all the time, wonderful work Greg.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  07:50:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic crane, Greg. I agree with Mike about not being able to see it. But, you know it's there, properly detailed.

George

Fly Army

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  08:12:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, looking at all your progress assembling and installing the overhead crane was a very uplifting experience.
It sure looks good!

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  08:49:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Bob, George & Bill, thanks guys for your nice comments, and for your continued interest in this build!

Greg

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  11:45:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outside of a great kit by Bob.

Your just doing an outstanding job with this. perfect coloring on the that moving crane!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  12:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, I started working on the clerestory and cutting out the cardstock roof panels for this shop.
The instructions tell us to cut out from the cardstock this clerestory spacer to use as a spacer guide for the 2 clerestory window walls.
I however used it in a different way, instead using it as a measuring device to cut out some 1/8" inch wood the same width as the cardstock spacer.
This allows me to use the 1/8" pieces to glue together the 2 clerestory walls the right distance from each other.
I used my 1/8" inch spacers along the top of the walls to keep them away from the trusses that this will sit on.
I did add one piece of 1/8" spacer blocks to either end at the bottom, making certain that they would not come in contact with the trusses located on either ends.
It also allows me to position the clerestory as one whole unit instead of 2 separate pieces.

Also by making the clerestory one piece instead of 2 separate walls, I think I can make the entire roof removable now.
I did have to sand these walls on their ends a bit to fit snugly between the front & back walls.
You will also notice that I painted all of the interior of the clerestory black, I could see the wood bracing through the clerestory windows, and that bare wood just didn't look right.
I was also able to paint over some light leaks around all of those windows.

The next thing I did was start to cut out the cardstock roof panels that go over top of the clerestory and the rest of the shop.
The shop is longer than the cardstock so you need to cut out 2 panels and join them together to cover the entire length of the shop.
I soon discovered that the kit doesn't have enough cardstock material to do the job as the cardstock panels are drawn up.
You need 2 panels like the one that I've cut out shown below on the left.
They only gave me enough to cut out one of those panels.

However there is a work around for this oversight.
The clerestory roof panels are also 2 separate panels that are not as wide as the lower roof panels.
So I traced the lower roof panel over top of the second clerestory panel and cut it out.

I would be able to use the cut off pieces from the cardstock to replace the clerestory using 2 separate strips of cardstock.
I will draw on the lines for the tarpaper roofing to match the other panels.

I also cut out the machine shop roof panel and test fit it in place.

That's all I have for now.
Next step tarpaper roofing it all!

Greg

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  12:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Outside of a great kit by Bob.

Your just doing an outstanding job with this. perfect coloring on the that moving crane!!

Thanks! Jerry.
The instructions make suggestions as to the colours that might be used on such a crane.
I decided to go with what I have seen in the real world.

Greg

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  7:28:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, I started this kit many years ago.
I got as far as painting the walls.
This thread will definitely help when I ever get around to finishing it.
Thanks for all the SBS's and how-to's.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  9:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Looks like you have the roof under control.

Removable is good.

Mike

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 03/13/2021 :  10:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg looks like you have the roof well in hand. Everything is looking very good.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 03/14/2021 :  4:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, Michael & Mike, thanks for your nice remarks and for taking the time to post them!

Rick, I hope this build will help you with finishing up your car shop/diesel shop kit.

Michael, I must thank you for getting me to think about making this entire roof removable, instead of just parts of it.

Mike, everything did work out, and I'm about to show you that!

Hi everyone, well the shop now has a roof on it!

I began by taping together all the roof cardstock pieces with masking tape on both sides of the joints.
For the clerestory roof I glued in place 1/8" sq. bracing on the undersides of the roofing panels to add some extra strength to this now removable clerestory assembly.
I also painted around all of the overhanging parts of the cardstock roofing panels with the black green colour I've been using throughout.

The rolled roofing is just brown kraft paper that you paint the opposite side that the lines are printed on.

I painted mine flat black, and a light gray colour.
The gray colour I hardly used at all, it's to represent recent repairs that have been done to this roof.

You then cut this painted kraft paper into strips. Use the whole strip, don't stop on those marked sidelines.

Then using the guidelines on the roof cardstock you start to glue down strip by strip. The instructions suggest using a glue stick to adhere the strips to the cardstock.
I also left about a 1/16" overhang on either end of the rolled roofing on the cardstock roof panels.

Upon completion of sticking down all of my rolled roofing and lightly dry brushing it with some white.
I located the roof vents and glued those into place as well.
So this is how the shop roof now looks!

Perhaps a few rust streaks running down from some of the vents might still be added, and some pigeons.
I've also been looking through the instructions about the the stone/concrete caps that cover the tops for the front & back walls, but I haven't found any instructions about those yet. I think they may have been overlooked, but those spots are really the only thing that really stands out now.
Nothing to them really just pieces of wood cut to the right length and painted and glued down.

However... that's all I have for now.

Greg

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2021 :  6:23:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Joe Rutter
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/14/2021 :  6:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joe Rutter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I admit it, I keep coming back for more and you never disappoint. Well done Greg. I canít wait to see it in person!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2021 :  7:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great.
How much interior detailing were you planning?
Seems like it will be difficult with the beams or are they removable too?

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: River Dam Model kits - Assembly and review Topic Next Topic: Choices Challenge: B&O Tower Kit  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.81 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000