Railroad Line Forums - SRMW's kit No. 240 HO Car Shop - Diesel Shop Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 152 ]  [ Total: 153 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SRMW's kit No. 240 HO Car Shop - Diesel Shop Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Castle De Chanel Build ( A Castle on a Cliff ) Topic Next Topic: River Dam Model kits - Assembly and review
Page: of 21

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  10:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, Really nice assembly work and the careful work on all the windows.

A nitpick and a suggestion:
The color of the tissue paper covered panes looks great, but when backlit (the interior has lighting) They look highly translucent. For your time period I can't think of anything those panes could be other than stained glass. That would likely be more expensive than just plain glass, so not sure why it would be used.

I've seen lots semi-translucent windows on old factories and mills that seem to have been painted on the inside, probably to cut down on glare and heat from the sun after electric lighting was installed. Those panes sometimes
look opaque, other times brushstrokes are visible. Most I've seen are a pale, chalky looking greenish-blue, not pleasant colors like yours.

Trying to paint the interiors of those panes now would be a pain, but one possible solution might be adding a second opaque - or at least less translucent piece - behind them.

I've had good luck using a Scotch repositionable double sided tape (bought on a roll like regular Scotch tape) to put signs in windows. The two small signs in the window below were done that way. The tape isn't visible. It's been on the model for years and hasn't yellowed or turned gooey. Just a thought...

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  11:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've seen industrial buildings of that vintage with painted plywood replacing broken glass. I think this is because before WWII, they needed the daylight to supplement incandescent bulbs. But as fluorescent lighting was installed, windows were at best a way of keeping track of the weather, at worst a place where heat left the building in winter and came in, unwanted, in summer.

James

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  11:47:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce & Bill, thanks for your comments & for your posts.

Bill, I hear what your saying, however I do remember as a kid seeing coloured glass being used in factory windows like my shop has, at my father's GM plant where he worked in St. Catharines.
It may have been something other than glass, but you could definitely see light coming through it, and it wasn't a colour just painted onto the glass.
Perhaps my maintenance man had some old coloured glass that was used in passenger cars back in the day, but is not used anymore.
So he found this new use for it now.

Greg

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  11:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

I've seen industrial buildings of that vintage with painted plywood replacing broken glass. I think this is because before WWII, they needed the daylight to supplement incandescent bulbs. But as fluorescent lighting was installed, windows were at best a way of keeping track of the weather, at worst a place where heat left the building in winter and came in, unwanted, in summer.

James, I have also seen sheet metal & even parts of old metal signs being used to replace broken panes as well.
Thanks for your insights!

Greg

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  5:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOW, some real nice looking progress since the last time I stopped the shop.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

postalkarl
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2021 :  08:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have to agree with Bernd. WOWWIE!!!!

Karl S

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  09:38:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd & Karl, thanks for your nice comments, and for taking the time to post them!

Hi everyone, it's been a slow process but I now have all of my trusses and lights in place!
I started this by first gluing the first 2 trusses directly on the front and rear walls. The 8 x 8 posts being glued into the corners of this shop below the trusses.
Because I'm hiding my magnet wires behind the 8 x 8 posts it made this job a little more tricky to do.
I proceeded one truss at a time, and also one side at a time.
Allowing the 8 x 8 post glue to dry enough before flipping the shop over to the other side to do the next one.
I used a small weight to hold the 8 x 8 post down while the white glue set.

As you can see I also used foam pads to protect the exterior walls from being scratched or damaged in any way.
I also decided to change my lighting from 2 LED"s on each truss to just one LED in the middle on every other one.
There will be a working platform in the middle of this shop, so I wanted to provide lighting to this area as well.

Here's the shop flipped over to the other side as I continue installing posts & trusses.

This is how all of the trusses & lighting in place now look.

I also added 2 gooseneck lights to the front wall to illuminate the Canadian National sign.
Here's a photo showing how these lights look lit up!

That's all I have for now.
Thanks for looking!

Greg

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  09:50:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg a beautiful job with the trusses & lights. Love that sign great work.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  10:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry, thanks so much! I'm glad that you like it!

Greg

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  1:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Looking great, Greg.

Cheers, Mark.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  1:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

You light up my life with your neat work.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  1:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, Brilliant work!
The rail inside looks a tad oversized, but with the reduced interior
lighting no one will notice :)

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  1:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, Bob & Bill, thanks so much for your posts & nice comments!

Mark, just to follow up on your suggestion about using cheaper chalks for the mortar lines.
I found some children's sidewalk art chalks, and gave it another try.
It did work much better than my previous attempt, however it still lightened the overall colour of my bricks.
So I decided not to go ahead with it.

Bob, your neat work inspires my neat work!

Bill, you always make me laugh!
That little piece of rail, is a vital piece in my modeling tool box.

Just an additional note, I was so pleased not to see a trace of any wires inside my shop.
I think it will make a few people scratch their heads wondering how I was able to do that trick.

Greg

Edited by - Ensign on 03/10/2021 2:01:02 PM

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  2:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg very nice work on the trusses and the wiring. The CN sign looks great all lit up. Really like the shot thur the front doors.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/10/2021 :  3:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Truss-t you to do such a fine job.

Mike

Page: of 21 Previous Topic: Castle De Chanel Build ( A Castle on a Cliff ) Topic Next Topic: River Dam Model kits - Assembly and review  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000