Railroad Line Forums - Remaking the Ridley Keystone & Mountain
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 174 ]  [ Total: 180 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Remaking the Ridley Keystone & Mountain
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: B&M Eastern Route progress Topic Next Topic: Looking for this roller set for Cobble Stone
Page: of 6

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2021 :  9:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in for one in the P-RSL Combine, please. I have my own mask....

Pete
in Michigan

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2021 :  11:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today was the day the last train ran over the RK&M Layout Version 2. The train known as the Final Flyer performed a photo run by at the Water Tower Diorama.

1of 2

New York Ontario & Western F3A (Stewart kit)

New York Ontario & Western F3B (Unpowered; Stewart kit)

Baltimore & Ohio Railway Post Office car (Athearn Blue Box kit)

New York Ontario &Western Coach (Bev-Bel/Athearn Blue Box kit)

Reading Company Rounded Roof Coach (Bev-Bel/Athearn Blue Box kit)

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/06/2021 :  11:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
2 of 2

Lehigh & New England Coach (Athearn Blue Box Lit; custom painted and decaled by others)

Central Railroad of New Jersey Coach (Athearn Blue Box Lit; custom painted and decaled by others)

Pennsylvania P54 Coach (Con-Cor)

Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines P54 Combine (Con-Cor unlettered; I added the PRSL and numbers)

Lehigh & Hudson River Cupola Caboose (Atlas Trainman)

Here is a video of the Water Tower photo run by
https://youtu.be/N1sfItc17U8

Lastly a video of the Final Flyer as it makes it last trips around the layout
https://youtu.be/O3QCaIkkoDY

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  09:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  10:04:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll swing aboard the caboose - it's been 50 years since I rode one.

James

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  12:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  12:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been watching your videos, Tom.

Bruce

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  10:25:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Got a good amount of demo this weekend. First was removing the Hunting Cabin

Before

After

Next came the rock face.

Before

After

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  10:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Now for removing the Grain Elevator. I tried to save as much as I could. The track, however could not be saved as it came up when I started removing the foam.

Before Grain Elevator isolated

The Grain Elevator removed

The area without the Grain Elevator

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  10:26:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Down to the wood

The Farmhouse waits for removal

Next up is finishing removing the Farmhouse and the foam on the first board. Then I will start working on the wood for the widening of the layout.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  08:32:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you planning to rebuild using the same "boards supporting foam" scheme?

James

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2021 :  4:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It was a struggle, but I was to get the Farmhouse free without too much damage. The road looks fine but it is not and will need to be removed or redone.

Here the one board cleared of foam. I still have some dried glue spots to remove.

After doing a measurement check on the board a problem arose. It is not 4x8 as thought. It is 4x6.5. This means there as currently situated there would be too much overhang on the near end of the table. Even adding the additional wood for bracing would not help. The solution is to move the table base which is an old drafting table I got from work when the office moved. I got four of them, all ones that were part of my squad area and used by me. Currently two serve as the base for the layout. One is my workbench. The last one is at the moment a junk collector. When the layout is fully realized it will the third table base.

In the meantime, I am going to bring in a piece of the pink foam and lay it down temporarily. I want to layout a couple of critical areas of the track plan to make sure they fit before cutting any wood or foam.

Another part of the project is to hang some new lights over the layout. They are in the box that keeps getting moved around.

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2021 :  4:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Are you planning to rebuild using the same "boards supporting foam" scheme?

At the present time yes. I will be adding extensions onto them using wood framing. The boards are not resting on the drafting tables. There is some space if I need to run wiring under the wood boards.

Some of foam boards may be reused mostly as gap fillers and the base for hills. If there are "good" pieces I might look at reusing them as part of the base.

My plan is to buy at least 4 new 4x8 2 inch pieces of pink foam.

Edited by - TomPM on 02/09/2021 4:29:11 PM

TomPM
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/10/2021 :  6:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit TomPM's Homepage  Send TomPM a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
New lights are up.

I still have some work to with hiding cords and such.

After thinking and possibly overthinking installing the lights I am happy they are up ad working. Took me a little while to figure out how to place them. Then I pondered whether to mount them to the rafters directly or on something else. Once I stopped overthinking, I decided to try one on the rafter directly. It worked out nice and installed the other five. Took me about 2 hours to do. I did not do them all at once. I did two then took a break to let my shoulder relax, did 2 more rested, and then the last two.

Edited by - TomPM on 02/10/2021 6:30:41 PM

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 02/11/2021 :  3:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom,
Wow, a lot of demolition work. Your making progress. When you get fresh pink down,
will it be a relief?

Scott

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: B&M Eastern Route progress Topic Next Topic: Looking for this roller set for Cobble Stone  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000