Railroad Line Forums - J.D.'s Machine Shop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 153 ]  [ Total: 154 ]  [ Newest Member: Dragonborn ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 J.D.'s Machine Shop
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Westport River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: BCRR
Page: of 24

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  11:35:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would like to pose an idea to you guys about a possible change to J.D.'S:

First off sorry for the crooked photo; it was shot through the entrance. When I was thinking about machines for the Shop I found this "steam hammer" and decided to buy it because it was so much different from what I have seen in other shops. Compared to the other machines this thing is massive and I don't think that it can be done justice to in that small of a space. At the left end of the wall is an opening which I was thinking of building an addition to hold not only the steam hammer but also a scratch built forge crane and a coal forge.

Then the space on the side wall, where the hammer now resides, will hold the boiler and the vertical steam engine; which may require a second pulley line.

So I'm looking for any thoughts and/or ideas on the proposed changes. Thanks in advance for your input.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  11:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's worth looking at the East Broad Top's machine shop, see https://oldeastie.com/Shops/macshop.html and a book on same: https://www.amazon.com/Shops-East-Broad-Top-Railroad/dp/1461016126

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  12:42:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a power hammer in the Nevada Northern shops in Ely NV.

It's bigger than yours, but you might find other pictures on the web.

James

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  3:29:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave thanks for responding and for the links. I'll check them out.

jbvb thanks for stopping by and for the photo. The model is a scale 10 feet wide and about 10 ft. high and that's without all of the levers and such. The photo seems to have a lot smaller footprint. I've seen some photos of steam hammers and some are multiple stories high.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  8:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry,

I think an addition as you describe makes sense. I agree that the steam hammer looks out of place where you have it. I wonder how much room is needed around one. That might be a consideration.

Mike

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  8:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Mike. It looks to big for the space you currently have. I would build the kit first then an addition to the shop to hold it.

Roland

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/30/2021 :  8:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael and Roland thank you for your input. After looking at the space today I agree with you both. The vertical steam engine and boiler would look much better and more appropriate for the space. So I think that I will finish up my two other machines as well as the Shop in general then finish the steam hammer then start to plan the addition to not only fit it but also a forge crane as well as a forge itself. Thanks for helping me to confirm my thoughts for J.D.s.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2021 :  11:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Larry, I had to leave several pieces of machinery out of my shop because they were overpowering, I also used a small drill press instead of the large one I had for the same reason.
Sometimes its better to leave things out rather than overcrowd the area and detract from the overall look.

Karl.A

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2021 :  11:38:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry,

That's what the prototype would do, add a building to house the equipment. I always look at "plausibility" when doing something like that. Go for it.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Edited by - Bernd on 01/31/2021 11:38:23 AM

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2021 :  11:39:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Choices keep the mind working. I'd say outside for now! You might need a crane to use that hammer properly? Nice progress Larry!

Philip

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/31/2021 :  12:06:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that I have J.D.'s sorted out as far as how to move forward, here is what the Shop looks like with 99% of the detail parts added:

Since this is a really narrow wall I decided to forgo another bench and replace it with a trash can , barrel, and a pallet which was scratch built from scale 4x4's and 1x4's then a coat of A&I was applied. This gave me a little extra room for the machines and still keep a good distance between everything.

Added a second row of hand tools to the wall and stacked up 2 pallets in the corner. Made a mat from card and scale 1x4's given a coat of A&I then glued to the floor. Also made some pipes to go in between the bench and cabinet from a cut up bamboo stick then painted and weathered. Added another cross piece to the wall and put in 3 rods to hang some pulleys on which are not glued. The long third rod will have a couple lengths of belt hanging over it. This area is where the vertical steam engine and boiler will be placed.
The second photo was taken looking through the entrance. Made a clock and added a couple more signs to the wall.

Here is the other end of the Shop. Added a couple of tools to the wall so that there is plenty of room left to hold the tools that are on the bench.

This is what the area will look like with the steam engine and boiler in place; I think that it's a much better fit than the steam hammer and makes more sense. May have to move the boiler slightly, which will have a tee with one side going to the engine and the other going through the wall to the hammer. There is also some room for a stack of wood between the boiler and engine. Probably behind the hammer will be a horizontal water tank which come back through the wall to feed the boiler. The entry way through the wall is where an addition will be built to house the hammer and some other stuff.

That's where I'm at for now and I started the horizontal milling machine as my next machine for J.D.s.
Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/31/2021 :  12:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl thanks for the advice; that's why I decided to modify what I was placing in the Shop and go with another option for the hammer.

Bernd thanks. I posed the question to see if others had the same opinion as I had..and they did. The addition to the Shop seemed like a plausible solution to the situation.

Philip thank you. The hammer is large but is sized for a Machine Shop to make larger parts for locomotives such as driver rods and such. My plan, hopefully, is to scratch build a forge crane and also a forge itself or at least a forge oven.

I saw these comments after I posted another update so that's why it's a little out of sequence and thank you for your suggestions and opinions; much appreciated.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/31/2021 :  12:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems to me that the floor color would not be 'homogenous' throughout the shop. I'd expect to see darker areas around the machines, based on grease/oil staining and shavings that get worn into the wood. Similarly close to the tracks some dirt would fall off the cars.

Just a nit-thought....

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/31/2021 :  1:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You’re doing an excellent job populating the interior of JD’s.

Seems to me your skills and eye keep improving.

Mike

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/31/2021 :  2:48:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave I agree with you about the floor. Have not arrived at the point of "dirtying up" the floor quite yet; but before the machines are glued down. Thanks for the nit-thought.

Michael thank you. Hopefully I'm like a fine wine...at least as far as modeling is concerned.

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: Westport River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: BCRR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000