Railroad Line Forums - J.D.'s Machine Shop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 178 ]  [ Total: 179 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 J.D.'s Machine Shop
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops – Europe 1918 Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout
Page: of 24

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/23/2021 :  7:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
The lathe turned out really nice! I have used a lot of shop machines over the years, and most of them have been the gray.
Pawtucket, home of Hasbro toy company. I wonder if anyone from Crow River used to work there?

Scott

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/23/2021 :  8:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott thank you. It's good to know that my color choice is prototypical. Hasbro Toy Co....did not know that; maybe that's where they got their start.

My current build:http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53479

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/25/2021 :  3:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought that I would share an update:

The drill press was much easier to put together; or else I'm just getting better at it. Started with the basic flat grey paint and added a blue wash over that. The pulleys were left as is but the gears were given a coat of gun metal. Since Micheal had mentioned seeing a real life drill done up in blue, I decided to put one in J.D.'s.

This is the front shot and the belt was a narrow plastic strip which was painted brown and glued in place. Although there was no strip to connect to the overhead line so I'm probably us strips of brown paper lunch bag.

Even though the finish paint is different on each machine; they both started life with a grey sub-coat so they go together quite nicely.

Also started on what detail pieces that I have. Been placing them in the shop to come up with a sensible scene. When I receive the rest of the detailing parts then I'll start sharing some photos of the progress.

That's about it for now. Any comments/suggestions welcome.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2021 :  3:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking drill press Larry. It probably went together easier for both reasons, but more likely the second one.
What did you use for the drive belt ?

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/25/2021 :  5:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob thank you for your compliment. The belt came with the kit and is a strip of .03 inch thick styrene; but no material for the line belt. It came white and was painted brown then glued to the cone pulleys.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2021 :  7:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking good.

Some people use strips of Tyvek for belts. It’s worked well for me. I got it from a USPS envelope, kind you get at the post office.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 01/25/2021 7:14:19 PM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2021 :  7:23:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The drill press looks great.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2021 :  8:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chuck Doan told me he uses drafting film, so I bummed a piece from my brother the architect :-)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 01/25/2021 :  10:31:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
You've done a stand up job on the drill press! I rally like the blue wash.
Maybe if you use the brown bag, you can soak it in PV glue so it will hold it's shape.
I like the idea of the bag paper because I think it will look the most like leather.

Scott

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/26/2021 :  12:01:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It would be good to see how that worked out for you Dave,(Deemery), after Chuck told you about it, on one of your own models, that you built, where you used it, if you're offering advice, a picture of your work would be great.

Tyvec as Michael Hohn suggests is great as it has a slight texture that can give some depth to the material when weathered. It also can show a frayed edge when sanded on the edge like a worn weathered belt.

The machines are coming together very nicely larry, I like the base grey as a change from the generic green so often used.

As a side note, it looks like your belt is slightly too wide for the pully, maybe try to cut a thinner strip of the material, about 2/3 the width of the pully.
Looking forward to seeing these machines progress with your weathering and finishing now you have a base coat on them and your great start.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/26/2021 12:56:31 AM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2021 :  08:13:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Karl, I haven't actually tried the drafting film. My machine shop project got boxed up when we moved, and I really do need to dig it back out again. The film is similar to Tyvek, but has less texture.

I think the tough challenge for belts is what you use for glue (which of course depends on the belt material.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2021 :  08:39:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry nice job on the drill press.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2021 :  09:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry, do I hear metal screeching on the drill press? Persist! ~mike

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/26/2021 :  10:13:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael thank you. Question, is the Tyvek the strip that you pull off an envelope to seal it? Not sure what you mean.

Dave thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to look into it.

Karl the Tyvek sounds promising; I just need to know what I'm looking for. Yes I wanted the machines to be a little different from the norm.
The belt came with the machine but I agree that it's a little too wide. I'm going to borrow your strategy and go back and further weather the machines latter. Also am borrowing some of your other ideas for building.

Larry thank you for your compliment.

Scott thank you. When the time comes I'll have to experiment with some of these suggestions to see what I like the best and thanks for the PV suggestion.

Jerry thank you. Nice to get a compliment from the "machine master".

Mike thank you; it's too bad that we don't have sound on these projects...maybe a possible idea?

Now that I have received the detailing parts from Wiseman the process has started especially on the back wall before more machines are done. This will take some time with trial and error until I'm satisfied with the results. Also will be scratch building more work benches, pallets, and etc.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/26/2021 :  10:40:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,

Although I don't model in O scale, I have been following along in the wings. Your modeling is taking an upturn in my thoughts as how you attack each part. As far as the use of different mediums for the leather belting, I have yet to use the vellum as suggested, but I think it would be ok. I do know that most vellum is glossy on one side. If you use vellum, would you sand the glossy side or leave it as is?

Rich

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops – Europe 1918 Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000