Railroad Line Forums - J.D.'s Machine Shop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 172 ]  [ Total: 175 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 J.D.'s Machine Shop
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Westport River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: BCRR
Page: of 24

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2021 :  08:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lookin great Larry!

Philip

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/20/2021 :  09:43:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael thank you. I'm also looking forward to seeing the machines in place along with the overhead pulleys and belts; gonna be some time though until we're to that point.

Robert thank you. I want to try and add what makes sense as far as details and not just put in a bunch of stuff. Should be fun.

Mike thanks for your kind words; much appreciated!

Philip thanks; should be interesting to see how this develops.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/21/2021 :  5:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the first machine is done. Started with the lathe since that is in the front of the Shop. Figured I would get the front row done first then move on to the second row and build the overhead line in between the two rows:

Decided to go with a color other than green since most everyone else has used green. Grey was one of the colors that the instructions said was common. The assembly was broken down into sub-assemblies which made it easier to put together and paint while not omitting anything. The castings did require some filing and drilling in order to assemble the lathe. The quality of the castings were good but not great; although the prices were not too bad. Also bought a set of "needle files" which made a huge difference in construction. The parts that were to be not painted got a coat of "gun metal" to give them a natural look while getting rid of the shine of the bare white metal. Also you'll notice that the floor has been given a coat of A&I which now the Shop has a proper looking floor. I'll weather the floor more as I start adding different things.

Here's the end of the lathe with the change gears. This bit was a little fiddley but I managed to get all of the gears to mesh as I went along. Also the two adjustment wheels and the two levers on the apron were extremely difficult to add to the lathe; took a lot of patience and time so as not to break these delicate parts. After assembly was done the whole thing was touched up with paint and two coats of a black wash was applied.

For this being my first machine it didn't come out too bad. The more I build the better they should look. Next I'm going to start the drill press until the last of my detailing parts arrive then I'll switch over to adding details to the Shop.

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2021 :  5:47:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree it didn't come out too bad at all.
Nice work.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2021 :  6:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the lathe. I did not see you mention who makes it.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/21/2021 :  8:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick thank you. They should look better as I progress.

Larry thank you. The machines I bought from Crow River along with some detailing parts.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2021 :  8:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job Larry.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2021 :  9:26:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice. Very nice indeed.

I did several shop machines about five years ago. I used green on some but as you said itís sort of a cliche. I found a nice gray-green and I also used a metallic blue on a drill press, which I observed on a prototype machine.

Mike

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/22/2021 :  11:45:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry thank you. I wasn't sure about the grey at first but it's growing on me. I tend to be a little hard on myself when it comes to modeling; I guess I want the best job possible.

Michael thank you for your kind words; much appreciated. Thanks for mentioning the colors that gave me a great idea.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/23/2021 :  01:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, nice job on the lathe. The cogs look great. Very delicate work to do I bet.
What brand are these kits ?

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/23/2021 :  10:15:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob thank you and yes some of the parts are a little small and tricky to apply. Just have to be patient and take your time with them. The machines are from Crow River Products out of Rhode Island on the East Coast in the U.S. He casts, packages, and sells his own stuff; sort of a "Mom and Pop Shop". I always like to give my business to the "little guy" whenever possible.

resqrk
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/23/2021 :  10:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Larry. I live in RI and have never heard of Crow River...
Rick

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/23/2021 :  11:28:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick they are in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. They may be "online only" ordering and like I mentioned they are a small operation. I live in Central New York and I usually have my orders in about 5 days and their customer service is excellent. Thanks for stopping by; much appreciated.

Yannis
Section Hand

Posted - 01/23/2021 :  11:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice going Larry on the lathe! Pretty soon as you populate the workshop with details it will be hard to tell that it's a model.

Thanks for posting these.
Yannis

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/23/2021 :  12:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yannis thank you for your kind words, very much appreciated. Hopefully I can live up to your expectations.

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: Westport River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: BCRR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000