Railroad Line Forums - J.D.'s Machine Shop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 191 ]  [ Total: 193 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 J.D.'s Machine Shop
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Westport River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout
Page: of 24

Hopeless
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2021 :  8:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good. I do like the idea of a concrete slab

Roland

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/04/2021 :  10:00:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl thank you. I'll have to check out that show on History channel. I've done some research online and was fascinated by the process and the way the structures were reenforced to accommodate such a beast of a machine.

Roland thank you; the concrete slab sounds like a good idea to me also. Easy to model too.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/07/2021 :  3:57:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a bit of an update:

This is my version of a Forge Crane. It's scratch built from scale lumber which was laminated, stained, and weathered. By laminating the main post it gave it a beefier look. The chain is a little oversized, but heavy pieces of hot metal needs a beefier chain. There is a pin in both the top and bottom which will go into the floor and a beam at the top across the addition. This will allow the crane to actually turn between the forge oven and the hammer. The round gear on the side has a handle to raise and lower the chain but it didn't show up very well in the photo.

Next up will be to do a little more work on the inside walls then glue them into place. The walls will be stark by comparison to the main Shop due to the heat from the Forge and the Hammer. Then my attention will be assembling the Beast of a Hammer with a concrete base.

That's where I'm at presently. Any comments/suggestions are always welcome.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2021 :  4:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry nice job on the crane. Nice detail.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/07/2021 :  5:31:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry thank you; much appreciated. Being that there is not as much stuff in the addition, I wanted to make each item stands out.

Edited by - Larryc on 03/07/2021 5:33:02 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2021 :  6:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry,

Your crane looks like itíll be able to handle any job you give it. Nice work.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 03/07/2021 6:26:53 PM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2021 :  7:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

good looking crane.

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  08:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry, that is one beefy hoist. Good job on the scratch build. Persist! ~mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  09:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What ever the job is, Larry, I think that crane will handle it!

Bruce

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  10:46:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael, Rick, Mike, and Bruce thank you for the nice comments. I wanted a crane that was massive to go along with the Hammer. At some point I want to order some LP's for both parts of the Shop which should give the whole thing a sense of scale.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  10:47:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good looking crane!

Philip

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/08/2021 :  4:09:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Philip, much appreciated.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/14/2021 :  1:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hammer is built, painted, and weathered as well as the pins/levers/linkage installed and painted:

This is the back side of the Hammer. The pipe coming out of the steam chamber will be connected to a boiler. This will be the only time that the back will be viewable prior to installation.

This is the front side of the Hammer and the other pipe coming out of the steam chamber is the "steam out" pipe. The levers and linkage were a bit fiddly to do. All the connection points had to be drilled out and the pins were cut from brass rod. Part of each point of connection had to be partially glued first so that the connection didn't fall apart when assembling. To maintain the best possible glue joint the entire system was assembled then painted. The one thing that I noticed was now that all of the parts are attached to the top part of the Hammer, it has become "top heavy" and will no longer stand on it's own. I've come up with a workable solution for the problem.

That's where we're at for the moment. Next up will to be attaching the walls to the addition and "planting" the Hammer on top of the concrete pad.

Any comments/suggestions are much appreciated.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/14/2021 :  2:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry wonderful job on the hammer!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/14/2021 :  2:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry thank you for the compliment. It was probably the most intricate machine that I've built.

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: Westport River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.98 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000