Railroad Line Forums - J.D.'s Machine Shop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 160 ]  [ Total: 160 ]  [ Newest Member: Dragonborn ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 J.D.'s Machine Shop
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Westport River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: BCRR
Page: of 24

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/26/2021 :  6:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave good question! Not sure although it may not be as much as you would think. From what I've read online the steam was only used to lift the Hammer up, then the steam was released and gravity took over slamming the Hammer down on the object. Of course I would imagine the hammering part must have been quite heavy to require steam to lift it. Of course the bigger the Hammer then more steam was required to lift it.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/26/2021 :  11:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  05:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good Larry.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  10:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael and Rick thank you; it's a start. Now all I have to do is figure out the best arrangement for the stuff going into the Hammer Room. Should be fun!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  2:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning. I'd hammer in the evening, All over this land. I'd hammer out danger, I'd hammer out a warning, I'd hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters, All over this land.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  2:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry I hate to say this, but I think your showing your age there buddy. Nice one!!!!

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/27/2021 :  10:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, Nice addition to what was already a great build. Always fun to keep expanding.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  09:39:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob thank you for the nice compliment. This is probably the most fun build I've done. Not sure yet if this is going to end up as a small diorama or maybe even a six foot module; we'll have to see. I'm going to stretch this out as long as I can though.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  3:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Work continues on the addition:

This is the frame for the Forge Furnace which was made from 1/8 inch square stock glued together. It measures a scale 9 ft. long by 9 ft. high and 4 ft. deep. The entire frame work will be covered in a thin card painted flat black.

Figured that I needed to make this next to be sure everything is going to fit. Hopefully I can make a working door and have an actual firebox panted yellow/orange to make it look hot. The furnace compared to the Hammer is also massive. The tall beam against the wall is the start of the forge crane to swing the hot metal from the furnace over to the Hammer, hopefully.

That's about it for now. Lots of ideas going on in my head for this. Any comments/suggestions welcomed.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/28/2021 :  4:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iíve built several small machines for my shop but nothing like this, so Iím learning something new.

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  08:42:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry, that is one big casting leaning on the back wall. I can't wait to watch the room unfold. ~mike

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  09:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael glad your following along. I have the idea for the furnace, and the rest of the addition, in my head so I guess the trick will be to go from brain to finished item.

Mike thank you and that's only part of the hammer. This will certainly be a lot different build compared to the main Shop.

Edited by - Larryc on 03/01/2021 09:38:29 AM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  09:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fluorescent yellow, orange and red might look good for flames.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  11:05:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like I said if you had a hammer! Nice framework!

You know you could get one of those campfire led lights and make it really look cool!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/01/2021 :  1:01:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick thanks that's a great idea, I'll have to see if I can find any.

Jerry that's a great idea too. Actually my wife has some battery operated L.E.D.'s that I could paint if I can sweet-talk her out of a set.

Thanks guys both ideas will give me something to think about.

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: Westport River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: BCRR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000