Railroad Line Forums - J.D.'s Machine Shop
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 190 ]  [ Total: 194 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 J.D.'s Machine Shop
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918 Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout
Page: of 24

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/05/2021 :  3:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave thanks so much for the link. I watched a couple of different videos; pretty cool and very LOUD. Couldn't even imagine working in that noise forty plus hours a week for years and years.

My current build:http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53479

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/05/2021 :  5:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you find a video with a steam hammer? I would guess that adds a whole new dimension of "loud".

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 02/05/2021 :  8:38:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,

Lathe turned out real nice! Can't wait to see more!

Scott

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/05/2021 :  8:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave no I didn't find a video with a steam hammer but I'll have to look and see if I can find one; that would be interesting to see. Thanks.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/05/2021 :  8:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott thank you. The Drill press and the milling machine are also done; there are photos in this thread. Working on the boiler now which should be finished before long then I'll post a photo.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  3:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The boiler is now finished and the vertical steam engine had a few goodies added to it:

The boiler went together very nicely; probably because this is my second one. The boiler and stack were painted with flat black then given a wash of raw sienna to give it that dirty well used vibe. Used some red here and there to give a pop of color and some of the items were painted brass.
Added an elbow to the back of the engine for an exhaust pipe which will go way up in the air and also bent a couple of dressmakers pins which were painted brass and cut to size. These are to simulate the governors which are on the tops of steam engines.

This photo is looking through the doorway coming into the Shop. Here you can see the elbow on the back of the engine for the exhaust pipe. The three test cocks on the front of the boiler were painted red for a little contrast. Also notice the wood chips on the floor and on the pallet from the firewood.

The floor has been dirtied up around the benches and cabinet and also on both sides of the track. The rest of the floor will have the same treatment as I move forward to the front of the Shop. The piping on the left is all cut to size and was spray painted grey with a black wash added to look like "black iron" which was common during that time. Also all of the fittings are painted brass. The top of the tee coming out of the boiler goes to the engine and the other side of the tee will go through the wall and into the addition when built.

That's where I'm at currently. Any comments/suggestion are appreciated.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  4:46:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good, I like the floor staining...

dave

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  6:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love how all the details are being added to the build. Lots of eye candy to look at.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2021 :  7:19:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The shop is coming along terrifically. The boiler and engine: wow.

Mike

friscomike
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  05:43:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit friscomike's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry,

The shop looks terrific with all that detail stuff. I can almost hear the steam hissing from the boiler.

Are you adding a concrete base for the boiler?

Persist,
mike

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  11:23:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave thank you. The floor staining was done with black weathering chalk and was finger-blended.

Larry thank you; much appreciated. Trying to keep up with the rest of you guys and your great detailing.

Michael thank you for the nice compliments.

Mike thank you. No actually I decided to forego the concrete slab under the boiler:

If you look at where the piping is, which is not glued yet, in relation to the beam which will support the pulley line I wasn't sure if the piping might not interfere with the belts going from the machines to the line. Still have to add cross pieces to the beam which will support the hangers which are a good scale 3 ft tall. This would put the piping too close to the line and interfere with the belts. Hopes this makes sense.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  11:28:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOWSA !

Great stuff Larry! Your knee deep in details now!

Philip

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  12:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could put a piece of "sheet metal" under the boiler to protect the floor from sparks when the boiler is being fueled. That would provide a bit of visual interest as well as an opportunity to do slightly rusty and dusty/dirty metal.

dave

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  12:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Put your ear muffs on. It's quite loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdt6jPXhx8I&ab_channel=IgorChudov

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/08/2021 :  12:37:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A smaller version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brK9KYNPCjs&ab_channel=GeoffreyPayne

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Page: of 24 Previous Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918 Topic Next Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000