Railroad Line Forums - The 2021 Choices Challenge Main Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 180 ]  [ Total: 181 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2021 Choices Challenge Main Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Castle De Chanel Build ( A Castle on a Cliff )
Page: of 21

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2021 :  4:22:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Steve I'll look the next time I'm in hobby lobby that's the closest think we have to a art store here.

Mike Mace
Northern Division of the Santa Fe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/02/2021 :  9:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leeflan

When you model the Deep South, you have to have a lot of corrugated buildings and they all seem to rust differently.

I enjoy seeing your modeling, both because you do it so well and because so few model the southern scene, which has such distinctive regional buildings.

Your cotton seed house really looks terrific, especially the rust effects you get. Fine technique.

Mike

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2021 :  01:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of you doing layout builds. Nice work all.
Mike H, nice trackwork. Very neat.

Steve, interesting experiment to get your rust, just right. Looks good. Not too overdone, so just the look you were going for.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/03/2021 :  01:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This week I have been working on a rooftop water tank.
I always think they look great.

Used a thick cardboard roll for the core.

Then clad it in balsa strips, and also made up the top. Also from balsa. For the top of the tank, those are not actually individual boards.
I cut the circle (with scissors) from one piece of 1mm balsa, then carved in the board lines with a 0.5mm mechanical pencil. Much easier.
The bands are styrene strips

then got to staining & weathering it.

The bottom is coffee stirrer sticks

Assembled, and a bit more dry brushing to finish it off.

Now assembling the stand. Very fiddly.

Regards Rob

My current build.

Edited by - robert goslin on 03/04/2021 4:25:08 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/03/2021 :  10:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jim, Bruce, George, and Rob, for the nice comments. Indeed, George, I'm happy to have the ballasting complete, and that job is one of my least favorite, Bruce, and no, I don't think there is a limit to the number of least favorite tasks on a model railroad.

Rob, you've built a particularly nice water tank.

When I posted photos of my completed track project I meant to give some credit. In the past I would ballast track as a first step in doing the scenery, and when ballasting I would do the between-rails part and the sides in one go. This time around, I generally followed Bruce's approach of scenery then ballast with a thin layer of dirt for an inch or two along the track, letting it dry, and then ballasting. That will really make it easier to do more detailed scenery with grass and stuff without impinging on the edge of the ballast. If a little dirt shows along the edge of the ballast, no big deal. It looks good.

Several months ago, Jim sent me a PM describing his approach to ballasting, which among other things, has one ballast the sides of the track, letting it dry, and then ballasting the center. I did that and found it a lot easier, particularly in guaranteeing that the ballast is at the desired level.

So, special thanks to Messieurs Dutchman and BurleyJim.

Mike

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/04/2021 :  4:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tank Stand is made. All balsa.

And a trial fit on the roof. Won't be fixed to the roof until near the end of the build, as I don't want to knock it.

Regards Rob

My current build.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2021 :  5:09:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

Well done on the platform.

Mike

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2021 :  10:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob the tank and it's stand look great.

Mike Mace

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 03/04/2021 :  11:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is where I'm at on T. Frisch Coal Company.

http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53646

Mike Mace

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2021 :  12:38:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike & Mike.

I'm slowing down a bit with the build, as lots of fiddly bits now.

Mr Mace, you're making great progress. Very interesting topic. Certainly different to the usual buildings we tend to see here.

Regards Rob

My current build.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2021 :  05:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob thanks I like doing different buildings. That's one of reasons I learned to scratch build. Even when I build kits I change things up a bit.

Mike Mace

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2021 :  08:16:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice wood work, Mike.

George

Fly Army

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/05/2021 :  08:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob, you do great modeling with 'the other wood'. So little used here in the States compared to Basswood.

Mike, I like your take on the coal dock.

Bruce

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2021 :  10:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks: Crew, for the kind words on the seed house. I like how it came out.

Mike (M.): Unless you have a really good Hobby Lobby (I don’t), you’ll probably need to look online.

Mike (H.): You’re right on about “distinctive regional buildings.” There are very few kits that have that regional flair. So, I end up having to either scratchbuild, as with the seed house, or kitbash commercial offerings to give them a “Southernized” look. Does save me money on big box craftsman kits.

George: Ah got me a fr’en’ wa’ss name is Pete. That’s his front name, don’ recollect his behind name. But his CB handle is ‘RionB-17 or sump’n lak dat. He’s’ a fine man, a wondermous man, an’ he smart, too, Ah gawrontee! Now, oncet when Ah done overdone some decrepitization on sum buildin,’ Pete, he done chided me, gentle like, ‘course, an’ reminded me, polite like, ‘course, that since the physical plant or structure of a business, however large or small, is one of its most important resources and certainly one of the most valuable assets on the balance sheet, the officers and directors of the business will take whatever measures are necessary and appropriate to maintain the condition and appearance of the structure as a going concern so it can continue to create the customers needed to generate the revenue and profits expected by the shareholders. Or sump’n lak dat. Wat Ah thank he said was they’s room for all levels of weatherin’ buildin’s an’ such, ya jes’ have to unnerstan’ the right one for each buildin.’ See, Ah done tol’ Y’all he wuz smart!

Catch Y'all later,

Steve

PS Apologies to you know who.

mikethetrainman
Fireman

Posted - 03/05/2021 :  5:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks George, Bruce and Steve for you kind comments.

Mike Mace

Page: of 21 Topic Next Topic: Castle De Chanel Build ( A Castle on a Cliff )  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000