Railroad Line Forums - small coal facilities?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 209 ]  [ Total: 213 ]  [ Newest Member: Stuart W ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 small coal facilities?
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: My 1878 Utah Territory projects Topic Next Topic: Bollinger Edgerly kit --> Bernd & Co. Coal Yard  

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2020 :  1:25:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I've seen pictures and drawings of D&RG narrow gauge coal "facilities" that consisted of a box on a trestle, with coal shoved into and back out of the box. Does anyone know what those are called? More importantly, does anyone happen to know the dimensions (height above track, length, width) of one of these? A quick search of the RRMagIndex didn't produce helpful results.

Thanks in advance!

(I've come to the conclusion there is no way I can fit my MRH small coal tower in the space available by the switcher turntable. So I'm thinking about alternatives that will fit into that very constrained space. And that means I might want to sell the tower model, since it's way too small for the eventual engine terminal that I'll build sometime this decade :-( )

dave
Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/31/2020 :  4:47:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Berg’s “Buildings and Structures of American Railroads” has plans for some small coal facilities, including — I believe — the sort of platform you have in mind.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nnc1.ar00877867&view=1up&seq=5

Mike

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 12/31/2020 :  5:49:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

I am putting together a small layout that will be a small railroad.
Here are some of the coaling stations I'm considering.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/31/2020 :  6:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I knew I'd get some good inspiration by asking. Interesting 2 stall roundhouse in that last photo, too.

dave

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 12/31/2020 :  7:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

The pictures are from the Trainweb. http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/CPR_Bruce/BRANCHES_2.htm

Scott

Empire of the Air
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/01/2021 :  1:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Some railroads referred to them as a "coal wharf". The HABS/HAER site has drawings of the DL&W wharf that was in the Scranton yards. They refer to it as a "coal trestle."

Link:
https://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/hhh.pa1903.sheet.00001a/?co=hh

Regards,
Wallace

darrylhuffman
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  11:55:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit darrylhuffman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a great source of information. This forum is great.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  1:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In a discussion elsewhere, I'd suggested a crane as shown by Scott, located between a small coal wharf and an ash-pit. That way, one crane could unload coal, then load ash into the same gondola car.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  2:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one thing I'm wondering about is the advisability of an ash dump right next to the coal. That seems to be a bit risky (fire) to me. But yeah, that would fit in the available space quite nicely, I think. I'll need to draw up some plans and do a mock-up. Plus I have a Rusty Stump crane kit (now in Rail-Scale Models line) that would be perfect for the crane part.

dave

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/03/2021 :  3:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks like it would be a nice fit Dave.

Besides that's why they have fire hoses!!

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Tintic Range
Section Hand

Posted - 01/09/2021 :  11:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another option is to just have a track for a gondola and a small steam or air loader. That's what the Central Pacific did in many locations, including the helper terminal at Terrace Utah. The Virginia & Truckee inherited one of the CPRR coal loaders and used it in Carson City. Rio Grande Models makes a kit for these, so whenever the new owners make them available again this is a possibility.

Terrace's coal loader can be seen at left:

Edited by - Tintic Range on 01/09/2021 11:06:20 PM

Previous Topic: My 1878 Utah Territory projects Topic Next Topic: Bollinger Edgerly kit --> Bernd & Co. Coal Yard  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000