Railroad Line Forums - 'imagineering' large scale landforms
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 200 ]  [ Total: 200 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 'imagineering' large scale landforms
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: looking for builder of Fast Track turnout  

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2020 :  1:01:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The expectation for this corner of the layout is that the HOn30 track in the back climbs up the hill to the left (hidden behind trees, etc, at times to draw out the short run). There's a scenic divider to the left mocked up by the styrofoam(the HOn30 lines passes through it), and the backdrop will fill pretty much to the height of that divider along the back wall. Where the divider is, I expect to do thick trees on top of a ridgeline, rather than a scenic backdrop.

So I've been throwing big wads of newspaper to imagine the landform within those constraints. In particular, I'd like to get a creek that comes down from between the hills, crossing underneath both the rear HOn30 and the front HO track.

On the far right, you can see a piece of backdrop that shows the approximate height of the tree line that will run all along the rear of the scene.

I need at least one more day's worth of newspapers to get all of the rough landforms in place :-)

Comments very much welcome!

dave
Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2020 :  1:16:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a good start, Dave! Recommend you watch out for saw-tooth hilltops... those are for the High Sierras, not for coastal northeast....

Keep plugging... at least you're getting somewhere! I'm spinning wheels and I'm not even outdoors in the snow!

Pete
in Michigan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2020 :  1:43:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, a key inspiration is the 'basin and range' Pennsylvania Appalachian Mountains, along with the Allegheny Plateau.

I do have problems with calibrating my eyeball for "vertical scale", often I have to put a scale ruler back up against something to see how many feet tall that hill would be.

dave

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2020 :  6:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only vertical scale? You lucky dog! So the creek will come out of the back wall, go under a trestle or viaduct under the HOn30 rail, continue down the hill over a small waterfall, through another trestle or viaduct under the HO rail and end up disappearing on the floor, right?

Jim

Take the red pill

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2020 :  8:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's not much vertical difference between the two track levels, maybe 2". So I don't really need to worry about the 'falling waters'. For the HO track, one concern is a bridge on a rather sharp curve, which is a bit unprototypical. A wood trestle would be fine for the HOn30 line, not sure what I'll do for the standard gauge. (An iron truss would be great, but not sure how that would look with the curved track inside...)

dave

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2020 :  8:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2" is only about 14.5 feet, about how far (simulated) apart are the two tracks? The HO bridge shouldn't need to be very wide to carry that flow rate (calculsted by the distance and height differential). Maybe a stone bridge would look good too. You're throwing paper wads, I'm throwing out my ideas. So no Niagra Falls

https://sciencing.com/calculate-gravity-flow-6561698.html

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 12/28/2020 9:05:16 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2020 :  8:47:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Old Stone Bridge idea. Gives it some history....

Pete
in Michigan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2020 :  8:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But I already have the (signature) stone viaduct in the mill valley...

dave

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2020 :  9:08:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where is the 'one stone viaduct' rule???

Jim

Take the red pill

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/28/2020 :  9:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dint see no stone rule!

Onliest Rule I knows is Rule One!

Pete
in Michigan

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/29/2020 :  10:05:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Pete. Avoid the saw tooth look. I think the height of the taped up background all the way around to the Styrofoam wall in a rolling hill tops would look good. I like "being in the valley looking up" look of the scenery.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/29/2020 :  10:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find it tough to image without a line to start with. I know we all create differently but I would painters tape the photo backdrop or background you are planning to use and draw off of that for the landforms. I too enjoy seeing things from within the valley. The bridge, a nice small wood trestle. I do like the stone bridge idea if you cannot spot the other one from the same viewing area. Anything except a large cement or stone culvert will look good IMHO.

TomO

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/29/2020 :  1:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some more newspaper balls, and a piece of backdrop to set the tree line. (The backdrops for this part are on order.)

Don't forget the trees will sit well above the terrain height (the top of the newspapers.)

dave

Edited by - deemery on 12/29/2020 1:02:28 PM

jerryrbeach
New Hire

Posted - 12/29/2020 :  3:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

The partial backdrop helps me to better visualize what you are considering for this area. I have a couple questions regarding the bridge for the standard gauge line. Do you have sufficient clearance to build a deck truss? If so, could you disguise the curve somewhat by building the deck wider than normal? Why not a trestle on the standard gauge line, too? The Lehigh Valley used pile (driven) trestles on its line through Freeville, NY until abandonment. Two are still standing as far as I know (and can be seen on Google earth). I think the heights of your mountains are good given your reference to the Appalachins. I would say that to keep everything in perspective the trees wowuld have to be modeled at a reduced height to give the perception of distance. Just my two cents, not sure any of this really answers your question.

Jerry Beach

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/29/2020 :  4:25:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry, thanks for the thoughts. A trestle would be the best looking approach for a bridge on a curve. I may mock up a truss to see how funky it looks with track curving through it.

dave

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/29/2020 :  4:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shorter trees! Nice catch Jerry.

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 12/29/2020 4:37:06 PM

Previous Topic: Continuing Adventures on the B&SGE Topic Next Topic: looking for builder of Fast Track turnout  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000