Railroad Line Forums - Climax A Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 169 ]  [ Total: 173 ]  [ Newest Member: ifi haver ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Climax A Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: BCRR Topic Next Topic: Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II
Page: of 8

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/23/2020 :  3:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well...started the steam engine build. Needed to file out the holes to get everything on the shaft for the gears and such. The rest of the parts needed very little filing. Painted most everything with flat black paint except for the items that they suggested to leave silver. They also suggested some commonly used paint colors which included green. Think that I'll will go with that color which will be painted lightly over the black to hopefully add some depth:

The assembly is slow going because the glue, ACC, needs to be clamped and allowed to dry. Also started the engine itself which is drying. Definitely going to have to make the length of the loco longer and may have to go vertical with the engine so there is enough room for everything. After the steam engine is built then I'll start the loco and connect the engine to the gear shaft at that point. Who doesn't love a good challenge!
That's it for now and any suggestions or comments welcome.

My current build:http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53479

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2020 :  3:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good start.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/23/2020 :  5:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick, much appreciated.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 11/23/2020 :  9:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your color over the flat black base technique. I've used a couple of times and like it a lot.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Yannis
Section Hand

Posted - 11/24/2020 :  07:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following with interest! I really enjoyed the steps/progress so far!
Thanks for posting Larry,

Yannis

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/24/2020 :  12:30:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Karl thank you. Nice to hear that the technique actually works. I sort of got the idea by watching Jerry's work. Since I didn't have any blacken-it I decided to go with the flat black.

Yannis thanks for following along. I thought that maybe it would be nice to show what I'm doing as I'm doing it. Maybe it will help others in their modeling.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2020 :  12:49:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Larry that is some nice work so far!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/24/2020 :  2:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry thank you. Coming from the "machinery guy" that's a nice compliment. I'm toying with the idea of making the shaft somewhat shorter so that I can keep the width of the Climax proportional to the "trucks" that I'm using. This would tighten everything up and less of the shaft would be visible. Any thoughts?

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  2:59:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for an update. Finally finished putting the steam engine together; it was a lot more difficult than I would have thought. The instructions were ok but would have preferred some photos of the finished product. Started by spraying most of the parts flat black followed by a layer, or two, of green. Some the detail parts were painted brass as per the suggestion on the instructions.

Because the white metal was a little bendy I cut some scale lumber for floor boards, which were 1x12's, to mount the engine on to get things lined up for the final assembly. Then i built the frame for the loco out of 2x12's and added the necessary bracing for the rest of the floor boards. The frame was painted with a 50/50 mix of raw sienna and water then given a coat of A&I. The Climax is 6ft. by 24ft. which is about as short as I could go and still have room for everything.

Here is an end view and you'll notice the hole in the floor which will be for another gear to mesh with the one on the shaft; and the shaft gear is movable for alignment purposes.

The piping, going to the Eccentric Shaft, didn't come out as well as I would have liked due to some flat spots on the tubing. That's one of those "practice makes perfect" things. The controls and driver will be on this side of the loco. The extra pulley would be to attach a belt to for non-engine power if needed.

Here's a shot of the entire Climax frame and flooring. The flooring needs one more coat of A&I to darken it up some.
Next will be to finished the gearing under the floor and add the wood pieces for the wheels which will be weathered ahead of time. Then it's on to the boiler kit; which hopefully will be a little easier. I'm pretty pleased the way that the engine turned out; but it will be hidden somewhat by the sides of the Climax.
That's where I'm at for now. Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  3:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Nice progress Larry.

The one thing that sticks out to me, is that aluminum tubing. Tube is a devil to bend without getting kinks in it.
If you fill it with sand prior to bending it helps, but still wont eliminate it.
I would use a thicker gauge solid brass wire instead.
If you cant find any at a hobby shop,
get a piece out of a roll of Romex and strip the insulation off.
You can get small rolls from any home improvement store and it will be a lifetime supply.
You will find it has many uses.
To make it fit the smaller diameter hole you already have drilled, just solder a small bit of wire that size on the end trim it back so the larger piece butts up against the casting, and insert it in the hole.
To run the "pipe", I would come out, and then go up 90 degrees ,then another 90 degrees back to the center of the cylinder just above where it comes out, then 90 straight back into the steam chest.
I think you'll like it better than the kinked tube. I'm surprised they used tube in the kit.

That's what I would do but of course it's your model and you like it, that's the important part.

Looking forward to more updates....Have fun!

Edited by - Dave D on 11/28/2020 3:41:14 PM

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  5:05:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave thank you for the suggestion. The reason for the aluminum tubing was at the suggestion of Crow River. Your correct that stuff is horrible to bend. If I had a set of fittings (elbows) then I think it would have gone without a hitch. However your idea sounds much better.I have some 12/3 house wire so that should fit the bill. Hopefully I can get everything apart and I will use your suggestion which sounds much, much more authentic. Thanks for the suggestion.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2020 :  12:28:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry starting to really come together.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2020 :  08:26:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, that looks great.
Isn't there some spring looking thing that you slide over tubing to help in bending it.
Found it.

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/29/2020 :  09:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry thank you for your comment. I've sorted out the piping issue so when it's fixed I'll post a new pic. The boiler uses the same tubing but there are lots of fittings so all of the cuts are straight and the bends are cast elbows, tees, and etc. so it should look much better.

Rick thanks; I didn't know that they made such a thing. I'll have to see if I can find some. If not I'm going to make a jig using a piece of scrap wood and some finishing nails to use to bend wire.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2020 :  10:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, tubing benders: https://www.amazon.com/TUBING-BENDR3-MAX-MfrPartNo-321/dp/B000BQMMDQ

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: BCRR Topic Next Topic: Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000