Railroad Line Forums - Bollinger Edgerly kit --> Bernd & Co. Coal Yard
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 214 ]  [ Total: 218 ]  [ Newest Member: Stuart W ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Bollinger Edgerly kit --> Bernd & Co. Coal Yard
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: small coal facilities? Topic Next Topic: The New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy.
Page: of 8

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2020 :  10:17:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Thanks, guys. There’s sufficient space between window and door for the chimney with the window frame close or against the chimney, like the prototype (page 1.)

Mike

Oh, hand me the crow and some barbeque sauce. That's what I get for not going back to the start. Should have known better that you would have thought of that.

Say, that crow ain't so bad.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2020 :  11:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

No reason to eat crow. The kit manufacturer cut it a little close, I think because the window casting—which looks to be a Tichy part—is a little oversized. Seems an odd place for a chimney but there was probably a reason.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2020 :  10:26:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bernd,

No reason to eat crow. The kit manufacturer cut it a little close, I think because the window casting—which looks to be a Tichy part—is a little oversized. Seems an odd place for a chimney but there was probably a reason.

Mike

Ah, okay. Makes sense though to place the stove near the door to heat the cold when you open the door in the winter. That's my explanation and I'm sticking to it.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 11/30/2020 :  12:31:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, your trio of structures that will soon be joined into one office, are looking excellent.
Since you haven't done the roofing on them yet, could you not move that chimney to the back wall or even to the middle of that roof instead of where it is now?

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 11/30/2020 12:55:07 PM

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/30/2020 :  1:31:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael I just read through your thread so far. The buildings look really good and should make a nice building complex. The coal trestle looks very authentic especially with the piles of coal. Also like your approach to fencing; gotta keep those coal thieves at bay. Good job so far.

My current build:http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53479

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2020 :  3:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Mike, your trio of structures that will soon be joined into one office, are looking excellent.
Since you haven't done the roofing on them yet, could you not move that chimney to the back wall or even to the middle of that roof instead of where it is now?

Greg Shinnie

Larry, thank you. I value your comments.

Greg, you mean like this?

Your suggestion was very timely.

My comment that “ Seems an odd place for a chimney but there was probably a reason” got me to thinking. This little cluster of buildings was primarily a section house. Here’s the plan view from the kit instructions.

I assume from this that the chimney was placed at the front in the office area because that’s where it was needed.

Because my version will represent offices without space allocated to handcar and tool storage, I was starting to regret not having moved the chimney to a more central position. Your question got me thinking “why not.” Thank you.

Mike

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 11/30/2020 :  3:42:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, yes that's exactly what I was suggesting.
I think that it looks better in the new place, than on that original front wall location.

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/09/2020 :  6:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I decided to join two out of three components of the kit’s office/car shed to make the coal yard office, and to use the third part as a shed of sorts. I have also built a gate and shingled the roofs. Here are the components:

Meanwhile I have started a small shed for wagons.

Very delicate. I’ve completed some of the sheathing:

Until next time . . .

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  09:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

IMHO, you have corrected an error in the kit manufacture. Kit makers don’t always think things through and I believe he added the chimney as a last resort. Not thinking how do you get in the dang building. Nice going.

Frank

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  09:33:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian Bollinger usually uses prototype drawings, so I'd be a bit surprised if there wasn't a prototype explanation for the chimney location.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  10:09:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Brian Bollinger usually uses prototype drawings, so I'd be a bit surprised if there wasn't a prototype explanation for the chimney location.

dave

Dave, there is indeed a prototype illustration for what Brian did with the chimney. Have a look here: http://besttrains.com/premium_ho_1007.html

Scroll down below the model photos to the prototype photos below them on the page. Lovely color, too....

Pete
in Michigan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  2:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17
Dave, there is indeed a prototype illustration for what Brian did with the chimney. Have a look here: http://besttrains.com/premium_ho_1007.html

Scroll down below the model photos to the prototype photos below them on the page. Lovely color, too....

Pete
in Michigan

Ah, ha! Take that, all you rivet counters!!

dave

Tintic Range
Section Hand

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  3:47:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been inside a historic house built in the late 1880s that had a fireplace built into the wall directly below the window with the chimney protruding through the roof directly above the window. They literally split the flue in two to run around the window then reconnect above it.

As we like to say in this hobby, "there's a prototype for everything." I didn't see anything wrong with that chimney placement in the stock kit, there is plenty of space to place an iron stove between the window and door and be able to functionally use both. Having the stove as close to the door as possible also means that it is easier to bring fuel into the building without tracking it through the entire room.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  4:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Geez laweez.

The kit is correct. I modified it to better fit my purposes. Page 1 of this thread has the photo of the prototype that appeared in the instructions. I covered all this above.

So Frank, I can’t really take credit for fixing an error; however, thank you.

Pete, thanks for posting the link. Maybe it will lead to somebody buying their products.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 12/10/2020 4:32:22 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  5:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Pete, thanks for posting the link. Maybe it will lead to somebody buying their products.

Mike

I think this building is included in the big sale Brian just announced, a great price on a lot of little buildings.

dave

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: small coal facilities? Topic Next Topic: The New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy.  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000