Railroad Line Forums - Bollinger Edgerly Whitefield Junction kit
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 261 ]  [ Total: 265 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Bollinger Edgerly Whitefield Junction kit
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy. Topic Next Topic: Building the Pennsylvania & New York Rail Road  

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2020 :  6:56:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Several months ago I ordered shingle material from Bollinger Edgerly (BEST) and filled out the order with a kit: Whitefield Junction Ball Signal, Signal Shanty and Section House. I donít need the signal, but I thought the section house can be used as the office for one of my coal dealers.

I long admired the BEST kits, many based on prototypes in New England during the 19th Century. They stopped making kits for several years, but are back in the kit-making game.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 11/19/2020 6:59:32 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/19/2020 :  7:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hereís whatís in the box, each of the four substructures in a separate, labeled bag.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2020 :  7:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to this one, Mike! BEST makes good stuff and they're Good People in the bargain.

Pete
in Michigan

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2020 :  7:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to this build.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  09:35:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a nice kit, Mike.

Bruce

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  11:37:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mike,
I'll be watching you turn the kits into beautiful structures!

David Guffey

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  12:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to this project.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  3:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, that looks like a fun little kit!
I'll enjoy watching you build this as well.

Greg Shinnie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  4:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Will have a "high ball" watching this. In vast collection of pictures I have one of the junction.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  6:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for following along Pete, Carl, Bruce, David, Jerry, Greg and Bernd.

Pete, I agree: they seem really nice. When I had some questions about their roofing they both got back to me very quickly with lots of info.

I'm starting with the main building of the office and car house structure. The walls:

Clapboard walls sprayed with Krylon camouflage:

And the walls together:

The trim is a mix of "Granite" and "Pewter". I think the slight green of the camouflage brings out the green hues of the pewter. Because this is a commercial building, I was after subdued colors that appear Victorian, not flashy.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 11/20/2020 7:07:42 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  01:45:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good! I like the color choices

HŚkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  08:22:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you! Itís nice hearing from you.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  12:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice adaptation of the kit and color choice. Does your Railroad have standard colors? Not that it matters for this industrial structure.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 11/21/2020 12:58:32 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2020 :  2:30:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Thank you.

My railroad colors have been based on the old Floquil colors: Depot Buff with Pullman Green trim. No particular prototype. Usually I use Floquil Mud for the buff; very similar.

On the new part of my layout I've been using more prototypical Lehigh Valley colors: light gray with a dark gray trim. I use craft acrylics and a mixing formula that somebody figured out as the best match with the prototype. I used the dark gray as trim color on this building assuming nobody would notice that it matches trim on a building on the other end of the layout.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2020 :  7:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iím going to detour a little to work on items which in combination with the office will go a long way to completing a scene. A couple of years ago I built a coal trestle, now situated next to a coal shed. A few months ago I made piles of coal under the trestle but it really needs more detail. In addition to the office I want a wagon or two and fences to keep out coal thieves and their wagons.

Here are views of the coal trestle from both directions.

Iíve been working on fences built with scale 6 by 6Ē posts, 3 by 6 rails and 1 by 12 boards. Here is one in place:

The coal shed is to the right.

Mike

Previous Topic: The New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy. Topic Next Topic: Building the Pennsylvania & New York Rail Road  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000