Railroad Line Forums - Inspired by CarlB
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 229 ]  [ Total: 234 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Inspired by CarlB
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house- the White house. 11-23-20
Page: of 3

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/14/2020 :  10:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic looking carts Jim. Although, if you say they aren't Jordan's, with Jordan's no longer around, I'd say you replaced them.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2020 :  10:49:03 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Fantastic Jim!

Man I gotta get a 3D printer.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2020 :  12:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave, I'm constantly learning new tricks with this stuff.

Jim

Take the red pill

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2020 :  12:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lou, those wheels are a heck of a lot smaller than the one's on the highwheel log carrier you did.

Dave D, check out that link above on the tutorial for Fusion 360. Hope everyone realizes that Software is very powerful, and available for FREE for personal use (you can't sell anything made from it's use) but you give your designs away. It's full featured, and really the first step in the process. Buying a printer and printing other's designs is not nearly as much fun. My $.02. Thanks for checking it out.

Jim

Take the red pill

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2020 :  9:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just finished a marathon view of 6 of Paul McWorther's videos on learning Fusion 360. I now see why I couldn't get Fusion to work. I didn't watch the right learning videos to begin with. Had I watched Paul's videos before trying Fusion I might have used it. But after watching his videos I realized Fusion is geared more toward 3D manufacturing. Although the program could be used for 3D milling I believe I really only need a 2D CAD program for my CNC mill.

Thanks for the link Jim. It was very helpful.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2020 :  12:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, Is your Z-Axis not stepper motor controlled?

Jim

Take the red pill

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2020 :  2:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Bernd, Is your Z-Axis not stepper motor controlled?

Jim

Yes it is. My thought here is that I would only do simple step objects at the most. Nothing close to what a 3D printer can do. I'm still up in the air on which way to go. If I only do simple shapes I feel like I really don't need to learn another CAD program. Of course I my change my mind. I'm thinking of rebuilding my Sherline mill. Come to find out they only have MM size ball screws now. So I need to think this through as to what I'm going to do. I am also thinking of purchasing a Sherline CNC lathe. Of course they are in MM too.

Don't want to hi jack your thread any further here. Have to do some serious thinking about what direction to go.

Thanks for the come back though.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2020 :  3:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jim, I'd like to own one for strength, PLA isn't really robust as the line fed printers. May get one after this BS passes.

Philip

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2020 :  4:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, what CAM program are you using with the Sherline? I'm using Mach3 with the MicroMill. I'll let you know if there is a PostProcessor that'll work on your machine. No problem on Hijacking. I keep a steel BBQ grill brush under the front seat.

Philip, The strength of ABS is a primary reason, but a valid secondary reason is that PLA is water soluble. Make something out of it, and unless it is primed and painted, you might leave it in a damp basement, and find a 'dumpling' when you come back in a couple of months.

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 11/15/2020 4:39:03 PM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2020 :  6:52:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the final shot, painted and ready to haul some luggage.

Jim

Take the red pill

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/15/2020 :  6:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done, Jim.

George

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2020 :  7:23:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lookin' good Jim.

Bernd

P.S. I'll get a PM off to sometime soon.

WWG1WGA

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 11/15/2020 :  11:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Bob, I ran into a 99 year old at the Lansing, Mi, trainshow last year with 2 shopping bags of stuff he had bought. He said "I'll stop the funeral procession before missing a trainshow". Now there is a great attitude.

That was before disallowed funerals...

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  11:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nice baggage wagon!!
Found a weathered sign for you.

David Guffey

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  11:43:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George,Bernd,Karl, and David, Thank you all.

David, that weathered sign looks like I feel.

Jim

Take the red pill

Page: of 3 Topic Next Topic: Intro.- the Holt house- the White house. 11-23-20  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000