Railroad Line Forums - 2-6-2 Logging tanker Locomotive
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 248 ]  [ Total: 251 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 2-6-2 Logging tanker Locomotive
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II Topic Next Topic: BCRR
Page: of 2

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  07:49:32 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
At Jerry's request I'll get off my butt and post some stuff Ive been working on.

I've been working like a dog for the last year and this Covid junk has not been much help so my modeling time has been shrunk a great deal.

After being one man short for the last year and another short for the last 7 months due to a surgery, we're finally back to full force and I hope that will change.

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  08:09:41 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't have many in progress photos so this will be a short posting.

This started out as a Bachmann 2-6-0 the ugly blue one. lol

Using a Kitbash Brothers kit for a Prairie locomotive bash including a printed cab, frame extension, side tanks, stack and some scratch built and details from Keith Wisemann I got it painted and to this point.

Then I removed the "cowcatcher" from the front pilot and added some running boards for the crew when needed.

And paint.

It's getting late in the morning and I need to get ready for work. I'll continue later.
Have a great day everyone!

Edited by - Dave D on 11/10/2020 12:08:19 AM

MarcusF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  08:57:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to seeing it! Unfortunately your pictures didn't post. I don't think your link to the dropbox is working.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  09:00:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave good to see you. But I think you forgot how to post pictures here.

Maybe Rick can help with that.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  10:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They were showing up on my end.
Now theyíre not.
Ok plan 2 when I can get to it.

Edited by - Dave D on 11/09/2020 10:48:05 AM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  1:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave this should help you

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=36807

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/10/2020 :  12:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok Looks to me like I have it ironed out.

Thaks for the links Jerry and for the explaination Rick.

Edited by - Dave D on 11/10/2020 06:38:00 AM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/10/2020 :  06:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, congrats on getting your pictures to load here on the forum and for building a fine looking engine.
Please keep us updated.

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/10/2020 :  07:05:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 11/10/2020 :  07:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks great so far, Dave. Keep posting your progress!

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/10/2020 :  08:07:29 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys,
glad you like it.

I forgot that new running boards were also part of the kitbash parts.

Anyway.....

From that point I needed to figure out where to hide the decoder. The locos cab has an oil bunker on the back which I wanted to use for a speaker.

There's not a lot of room in the boiler once its back in place over the motor but the side tanks were hollow so I cam up with a game plan.

I tucked the decoder into the firemans side tank after drilling a hole through the boiler and into the inside wall of the tank print and passed the wires for the wipers, motor and front light through.

The others went through a small notch I made in the bottom of the rear of the tank where they ran along the running board and into the cab where a corresponding notch in the cab front.

I used an ammo crate from a military ground crew kit that I cut the ends off of and ground the shell holding bits out of.

Then I glued the top of the crate to the bottom of the crate and set it over the exposed wires.

Then I made a false floor to hide the wires as they went under the floor of the cab and back up underneath the oil tank area.

From there it was a matter of wiring it up and getting everything painted and together and weathered.

I'm out of progress photos so here it is complete except for some steps to help the boys get into the cab and some light lenses.

Gotta remember to do that!

Well that's it.
Told you it would be short. lol
I'm working on a diesel critter now.
I'll start a thread on that next.
Have a great day!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/10/2020 :  08:10:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow excellent job on that Dave.

Does this mean we're going to finish the Lumber Mill.

If not you can change the name I have a nice mining scene that could use it!!!!

Jerry

MarcusF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/10/2020 :  09:59:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks great! What're the extra wires to the rear for? I figured 2 for the rear light, 2 for the speaker, but looks like there's more?

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/10/2020 :  10:06:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding!

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 11/10/2020 :  10:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks again guys.
It has become my favorite non Shay locomotive that Iíve done.

Jerry that mill WILL get completed one day I swear it.

Marcus those extra wires are for special effects lighting.
I put them back there so they are easy to get at if I should want to do a firebox flicker or in cab lighting or anything else.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/10/2020 :  12:56:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful loco, Dave.

George

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II Topic Next Topic: BCRR  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000