Railroad Line Forums - CNR Blackwater division
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 167 ]  [ Total: 171 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 CNR Blackwater division
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The CB&Q in Wyoming V5 Topic Next Topic: Screws & Washers for track fastening
Page: of 8

MarcusF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/25/2020 :  09:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 on starting after the crossing. Your track that isn't going down is (hopefully) going to be level before and after the crossing, but it'll dip going through, setting you up for possible derailments.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2020 :  10:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I'll do. I'm thinking that 6" to drop the 3/16 roadbed down to the plywood would be appropriate.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2020 :  12:35:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made some more progress over the past two days.

I did some research and found an old thread on another forum about the subject. It was suggested in that thread to use #25 sandpaper wrapped around a wood block the taper the roadbed down. The coarsest I could find was #60 but the effect was the same. About 5 minutes and the roadbed had a nice slope to the plywood. I used my mini sander to do any cleanup needed. I also did the same for the branch to the future sawmill on the other side.

I then laid out the turnouts for the yard by the small town. I ran some roadbed about 8-9" out from the main. When it's glue dries I'll taper it down just like the other two. I'm hoping for a three track yard, with an extra track going to a small industry. It would be nice to slip a short run around track in as well. I'll see what kind of space I have.

Since I finished figuring out the track layout, I finished laying the track on the main. I also started to lay the track going up the stamp mill branch.

I laid what I hope was the last of the cork roadbed at the 25 degree crossing. I laid the cork about 9" past the crossing so I can taper it down when the glue dries. The tack mails are just there to hold the cork down as the glue dries.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2020 :  08:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking real good Glenn. You are kind of inspiring me to lay some track on my quarry project.

Bernd

New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. - Route of the Black Diamonds

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2020 :  10:31:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen,

Looks like itís all taking shape.

A runaround track is always useful if it fits.

Mike

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2020 :  01:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're making great progress Glen. You sure are inspiring me to get going on my new layout.

The drop gate came out great. Yes, you will need to isolate it so the trains don't go off a cliff. But shouldn't be that hard.

I'm liking the track arrangements, and how you're solving any issues.

Regards Rob

My current build.
http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53468

Edited by - robert goslin on 11/28/2020 01:35:49 AM

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2020 :  9:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Michael, Robert and Bernd

I spent a number of hours in the train room yesterday and today. I started with fitting the bridge into the first gap:

I used some 1/4" square basswood to form the abutment/rests for the bridge. The 1X2 is clamped in place to keep the bridge level with the roadbed while everything dries.

Then I started to layout how I wanted the smaller town's yard. At first I wanted three yard tracks, a fourth track heading to an undetermined industry on the far end and a run-around track on that spur. After laying it out I didn't like how much room the run-around track was going to use so I decided to leave it off. I already have the passing siding on the outside to use as a run-around anyway.

After that I figured I should paint the deck before laying track directly on it. I went to the dollar store and picked up several bottles of Water-based Acrylic 'Cashmere Tan' and painted the roadbed of the stamp mill branch, the lower deck and the upper deck to the logging branch. I think it looks allot better now.

When The paint dried overnight I laid the track up to the stamp mill. It's hard to see in this picture but I used Micro-engineering's bridge track in the truss bridge. It still needs a bit of fine tuning but I like the way it looks. The track and bridge is still removable so I won't have to work around them when it comes to scenery.

I ran the track right up to the stamp mill. The track is temporarily laid across where the second bridge will go. I added a turnout for the stamp mill with the second track continuing to the logging area. I haven't figured out the track for that quite yet so it will just stat like this for now.

Next I want to start to put the small town's yard in:

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 12/02/2020 :  10:05:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have decided to add a small backdrop around the two sides of the layout. Partly to blend in the two bridges that are close to the edge and also to use as scenery supports. But while I'm waiting to be able to cut the hardboard for the backdrop, I laid out the yard:

The turnouts are tacked down but the flextrack sidings are just there to give me some visual reference. I plan to hand-lay the sidings to give some contrast to the main.

Originally I was going to use the furthest track from the main to be the industry spur, but the third one runs to the one side instead of the middle which will give me more room.

Some of the tire strips I made. It makes this part of hand laying allot easier.

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2020 :  01:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kept myself busy this weekend, fitting the backdrop in.

Last week I measured and made a cut list so I could take it to work and use our wall saw to cut all the pieces.

The backdrop is cut from 1/4" tempered hardboard. We use it at work for a few projects and I used to cut-offs to make the 5 parts of the backdrop. I test fitted them before adding some structure to the back and painting them.

Aren't you glad I didn't use this shade of blue? This was Pacific Blue, I thought it was going to fade a bit when it dried but that certainly wasn't the case. Fortunately I went out a second time and :

I settled on a pale blue to start. I'll probably be adding a bit more color later but at least it doesn't burn the eyes like the first attempt.
I used some 2X2 blocks to attach some of the backdrop parts to the decking, other parts of the backdrop were attached to the benchwork underneath. I'll be hiding the blocks and other attaching parts under scenery later.

I'm figuring that a fair amount of the backdrop will be used as support for mountain/hill sides, like in my previous layout.

I did have to change my trackwork by the stamp mill. After the backdrop went in, I found that I had to move the stamp mill out a bit to clear. That means I had to move the track out to the edge. I'll probably build the upper area out a bit more using foam when I do my scenery in this area.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2020 :  09:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Youíre moving right along, Glen. Your layout should be fun and interesting to operate with the thought youíve put into the trackwork.

I painted an intense blue sky with dramatic clouds and sunset on my previous layout. I must say it looked great in photos and people remembered the sunset. But in general I would recommend what youíve done.

Everything is looking good.

Mike

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2020 :  11:53:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your lighter blue is like the Baby Blue the HUB Division uses on module backboards. I use a dark blue like your Pacific Blue for control panels and around other controls on the fascia, in hopes it will make it easier for visiting operators to orient themselves. I also paint a dark blue band across the top of a backdrop panel, then paint a band of lighter blue across the bottom and blend them.

James

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2020 :  8:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started a bit of trackwork today. Yesterday I was helping my local club take down a fellow member's layout who passed away a few months ago. I did get some scenery supplies and some other items but what will really help me now is:

The layout that we are taking apart was all Micro Engineering code 83 track. We were able to salvage the track in the areas that were not ballasted but the ballast and glue kept the track from coming out in one piece everywhere else. I figured I may as well recycle the rail and use it to hand-lay the yards and other sidings. I spent about an hour this morning with a soldering gun, removing the remains of feeder wires and generally cleaning up the track.

I then drew out my sidings and laid down the ties.

Now I'm almost ready to start spiking some rails down but first I have to think of wiring. I'm using all Peco insul-frog turnouts and 'm trying to figure out insulating tracks and adding feeder wires in a way that will make sure I don't cause shorts.

Now I've already added insulators to the turnout from the main and will be adding feeder wires to the short piece of track between it and the first turnout in the yard. I'm also insulating each siding and adding feeders to that. Is that enough or should I further isolate each turnout from the others? I'm probably over thinking this (as usual)

Edited by - Glen Haasdyk on 12/13/2020 9:01:42 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2020 :  9:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What you're doing will allow you to install SPST electrical switches to turn off power to each yard track individually. With that track configuration you don't need to separately wire each turnout; even if they're power-routing, frog-to-points connections won't make shorts.

James

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2020 :  01:35:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry I should have mentioned that I'm wiring this for dcc. I won't be adding any extra power switches.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2020 :  09:05:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress Glen!

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: The CB&Q in Wyoming V5 Topic Next Topic: Screws & Washers for track fastening  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000