Railroad Line Forums - The New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 145 ]  [ Total: 145 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bollinger Edgerly  Whitefield Junction kit Topic Next Topic: Building the Pennsylvania & New York Rail Road
Page: of 7

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2020 :  12:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, it's wonderful to see your fleet of ships again!
They deserve their very own thread about them.

Greg Shinnie

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/01/2020 :  4:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a wonderful fleet Greg! Thanks for sharing the photos! They will be a great reference and help for my future harbour scene.

Håkan

Greg Rich
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/02/2020 :  8:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete, Mike, Greg & Hakan,
Thanks for your input, it means a lot to me.
Bob, Fishing trawler? sounds like fun.

Horton, RR in the background? . . . we'll get to that, but right now, it's time to meet "Snowflake".
She started life under my command from a junk box in a hobby shop. There were 2 identical plastic European (maybe German??) barges sitting there with a price I couldn't pass up. So, they followed me home and went into my scrap box for about a year. Well, long story short, I cut them both a-mid ship. One near the stern, one nearer the bow. Next, the two long pieces were joined together and then the two shorter pieces joined. This gave me a long hull and a short hull.
Snowflake is built on the long hull. The short hull is still waiting for its assignment.

Everything from the lowest rub-strake on up was added to the "barge hull". I guess that is appropriate as she is classified as a steam-barge.
Nearly all the hull construction is sheet styrene. Her design is based on pictures found on the internet of the ship T.W.Snook. The Snook started life as a lumber hooker, then freight and finished up her career working in salvage.

Here she is in a couple more shots from different angles.

Til next time,
Greg R.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2020 :  8:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the Mate has the stevedores working, so she should be loaded in a bit and ready to get underway. Better tell the Chief Engineer to begin raising steam!

Nicely Done!

Pete
in Michigan

Or are they off-loading???

Edited by - Orionvp17 on 10/02/2020 8:59:28 PM

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 10/11/2020 :  03:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snowflake looks also fantastic! Very compact. I'm thinking on making a lumber vessel for my harbour. I bought a very nicely built boat from a Railroad modeling friend based on a west coast lumber steam schooner. But she is so large so it probably won't fit.

Håkan

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/11/2020 :  08:33:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome ship!

CNE1899
New Hire

Posted - 10/13/2020 :  2:02:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, beautiful work, and nice background stories.

Scott

thayer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/14/2020 :  3:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit thayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, you've done some lovely work here. Thank you for sharing, and for the inspiration! You definitely have me thinking of giving it a go.

My one question regards your first image. It looks like you've got the wrong photo for the tramp schooner "Oliver", as the vessel shown is a sloop. Whatever her name though, she looks great and the sails are very convincing. Silkspan sounds like an interesting option for sails as well, as it would obviously be more translucent. Fortunately I have a decent supply in the stash.

Thayer

Greg Rich
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/14/2020 :  7:52:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your positive comments. I have been rather busy recently and have not had time to correspond with you all. My hope is to have some more material within the week . . We'll see if all the planets will align and allow my meager plans to come to fruition.

Thayer you are correct. My fingers got in front of my gray matter. I hear that happens to some of us.

Regards,
Greg R.

Greg Rich
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/20/2020 :  8:08:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Ya' Know,
There are a couple different directions I could take.
I'd like to get some input here before I embark on a journey that few would be interested in. As I'd like to take y'all along on this thread.

I have a number of pictures and scenes along the NB&FH that could fill our time.

Or

We could get involved in the construction of the Huron Brave. In all fairness, she is now complete, but I documented her build along the way.

Let me give you a couple of teasers for both cases.

This is a shot of the Red Top Creamery crew getting ready to load up the milk reefers at New Baltimore. There is A LOT of detail and scenes to enjoy along the road.

The second teaser:

These are the plans from A.J. Fisher for the lumber hooker Huron Brave. Typical of a late 19th century wooden vessel that plied the Great Lakes.
I was not disappointed in the way she turned out and I learned a few things during her build that we can talk about.

So, my friends, what'll it be?

The Grand Tour OR the Detailed build?

Kind Regards,
Greg R.
President & Chief Wheelknocker
New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 10/20/2020 :  8:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How about a grand tour, then a detailed build? Or, a detailed build then a grand tour? I'm sure both options will be excellent.

-Cody

Edited by - acousticco on 10/20/2020 8:30:40 PM

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/21/2020 :  02:30:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Grand Tour OR the Detailed build?

Yes.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2020 :  08:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Grande Tour gets my vote.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/21/2020 :  3:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both please :)

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/21/2020 :  4:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both, please.

Pete
in Michigan

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Bollinger Edgerly  Whitefield Junction kit Topic Next Topic: Building the Pennsylvania & New York Rail Road  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000