Railroad Line Forums - The New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 256 ]  [ Total: 262 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bollinger Edgerly  Whitefield Junction kit Topic Next Topic: Building the Pennsylvania & New York Rail Road
Page: of 7

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2020 :  09:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's great for Greg's railroad to put a photographer in a balloon to fly over the NB&FH...

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2020 :  10:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keep the boat photos coming! I’m enjoying them all. You have quite a variety.

Mike

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  11:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answers Greg! I could not have guessed the sails were Strathmore paper!
Fantastic modeling! Love the HJ Davis and the Hercules. I have something to aspire to for my harbor scene.
And you most certainly has not overboated. Keep them coming!

Håkan

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  4:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great stuff!

Philip

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  5:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent work Greg!

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2020 :  5:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate you sharing your navy with us. Lots of inspiration.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Greg Rich
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/28/2020 :  2:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks,
I am glad that you seem to be enjoying the pictures of my "fleet". As alluded to in an earlier posting,
I want to introduce the fish-tug, Comet. Below is a picture taken around 1894 on Lake Michigan somewhere in Wisconsin.

If you look past the additional fairings and structures added to the Comet, you can see the original tugboat Comet hiding
in there.

Below is the Comet as modeled and currently residing on my layout.

It appears that the captain and first mate have finally finished their tall tales and caffeine and are now ready to make way. After, that is, a short pose for the camera. SMILE!

And, while we are at it, another drone/balloon shot.

Kind Regards,
Greg R.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2020 :  3:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A fabulous flotilla.

bandman
Section Hand

Posted - 09/28/2020 :  3:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

What a pleasure it is to see these works of art. Truly magnificent!

I've never built a boat kit, much less scratch built one. The closest for me to a boat was owning a Clark San Juan 21 sailboat. Loved it. Keep on pleasuring us.

Horton M.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2020 :  3:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg, you did a splendid job modeling the Comet. Perhaps not a handsome vessel, but fascinating in its ad hoc appearance.

Mike

Greg Rich
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  4:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again,
Mike, Horton & Gill,
No, she probably never won any beauty contests. Don't tell the Cap'n and mate that, I don't think they would agree,
as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

To those who have not built a boat, give it a try.
You have nothing to lose and you may just enjoy this new aspect of our hobby. If you are not happy with the results,
fix it or dump it. Nobody will know but you, or. . . . maybe you will end up with a model you'd like to share with the rest
of us. It's just a model. Many of the skills that you have mastered on building structures, rolling stock, scenery, cutting stock,
gluing, painting, etc. are directly applicable to building boats. I look at them as sort of a stand alone diorama.

As long as we are on the topic of Tugboats . . .
are any of you familiar with the Great Lakes tugs of 150 years ago? These 150ft. and larger steam powered wooden tugs would,
among other duties, pull lines of schooners North, against the current, up the Detroit and St. Clair rivers. After passing Port Huron, and entering Lake Huron, they would then cut loose their lines and the sail boats would proceed on to their destinations.
These tugs also had other duties such as salvage and towing disabled vessels to safety.
One of the tugs that made a name for itself was the tug Champion.

Below is a model that was built 25+ years ago from basswood, styrene and styrofoam.

Here is another shot of the Champion. The plans which included the color scheme were obtained from the Dossin Great Lakes Ship Museum in Detroit.

Because my plans were always to display these vessels on my RR layout, I decided to make them all waterline models. I like seeing them
"in situ".

Regards,
Greg R.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  4:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Champion is a fabulous vessel! And don't apologize for the waterline stuff... that vessel is in its intended natural element! Life is Good!

Excellent model work.

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2020 :  6:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Champion is very distinctive. Very fine model. And thank you for the background.

Mike

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2020 :  05:38:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Greg. Nice to have you back on the forum.
I'm certainly enjoying all your various boats.
I'm currently building an O scale fishing trawler, so your thread is timely in giving me plenty of ideas and inspiration.
You certainly have a fine fleet, and some really unusual configurations
The Comet is certainly unusual.
Keep the pics coming.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

bandman
Section Hand

Posted - 10/01/2020 :  12:06:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg, what a thrill to see all of this..."even" your railroad in the background. More, more...

Horton M.

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Bollinger Edgerly  Whitefield Junction kit Topic Next Topic: Building the Pennsylvania & New York Rail Road  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000