Railroad Line Forums - Chesapeake & Ohio Combination Office & Depot Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 235 ]  [ Total: 239 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Chesapeake & Ohio Combination Office & Depot Build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Modeling cement in plastic
Page: of 21

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/12/2020 :  09:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dang I finally found the new thread. Excellent project. This should get the RR juices flowing on RRL.

Question 1: you changed the "bump-out" roof lines, was this intentional? The original shows the peak higher.

Question 2: could you have blown up the drawing to HO scale and then just used it as a pattern?

I will shut up now and go back to my sub-terrainian world.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 09/12/2020 09:50:38 AM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2020 :  10:46:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank- Congrats on finding me. So far it appears many will enjoy this subject.

To answer your Question 1: I checked my mock up center bump out height, and it is indeed 2 scale feet shorter than the drawing. Oops..

To answer your Question 2: I did indeed blow up the drawing to HO scale, and made the mock up cards from that. Somehow this particular bump out section was "mishandled".

I'll see what I can do about that..

Mark D. & you are certainly keeping me on my toes.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2020 :  5:05:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Well... I see you are back at the workbench again for a full episode of Model Craftsmanship.
This will be another fine example of your great work. I will be following along with your progress.

Question - When you ordered the windows from Rail Scale Models owner Stephen Milley, did you provide the dimensions for the small window panes (individually), or did you give him just the length and width of the entire windows, with the numbers of small panes needed to fit the space or (half window)?

I have some kits from Sierra West that have laser cut windows in them, but have never put one of them together. I will follow that portion of your thread to see how it is done.
Thanks for sharing.

Rich

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2020 :  7:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for following Rich.

You are correct on the windows. I sent Stephen just the window lengths and height dimensions, and he filled in the panes himself.

Of course, I also sent him the original artist drawing of the entire office that I showed in my first post, so he could see how they looked in the building.

I will show how those go together in detail when the time comes to build them up.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/12/2020 :  11:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Carl, .015 on the laser windows. That's .38 mm thick, that will be challenging and interesting to see how you'll deal with the frames.

Jim

Take the red pill

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2020 :  08:46:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually Jim, I just re-measured the thickness, and its .018" thick.

I was not a big fan of this "layered resin-coated cardstock" concept, preferring Tichy or Grandt Line styrene products. But it's stiff material, takes paint well and (probably most importantly) can be made into any style we can dream up.

Plus at normal viewing distance, it's hard to tell WHAT their made of....

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2020 :  07:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.05" chipboard has been cut for the office walls. 4 x 8 basswood strips were laid (with the 4" facing up) to frame out the decorative horizontal and vertical trim breaks, and provide the window and door supports. Since so many different types of wall treatment will be used, they will be built up and glued directly to this substrate. And to keep it as neat as possible, most will be pre-painted and assembled as I go.

All the 4 x 8 is finished, now to fill in the clapboard sections. These are just being test fitted, before painting.

With that done, I went back and painted the 4 x 8's Folk Art's vintage white.

Chesapeake and Ohios' depot/station/office paint schemes before 1924 appeared to have cadmium yellow or colonial buff bodies, with white trim, and light brown or maroon accents..The familiar grey scheme began after 1924.

Here's a C&O station in Alderson WV. It was restored in period colors by the local community.

I found many on-line debates about what colors are appropriate and accurate. I decided not to argue with anyone, or even myself, and settled on a "close enough" approach.

Trying to strike a happy medium, I gave the clapboard sections a coat of Apple Barrel "Golden Sunset". I am personally not a huge fan of any yellow- but I will press on. Checking cuts and fit here, nothing glued.

The windows and doors received a 1st coat of Folk Art "Nutmeg". The second coat was Americana "Sable Brown".

The vertical sections underneath all the windows are 1/16" vertical scribed siding. All sections are numbered to replace them in the proper spot after painting...

Till next time....much more work to do....

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2020 :  08:04:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Nice progress on the station, I'm not a fan of yellow either. Golden Sunset even sounds better.

Jim

Take the red pill

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 09/15/2020 :  08:12:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, very nice progress Carl. When coping some structures we don't have that luxury of choosing the colors.
However, you are doing a fantastic job with your structure. We all know it takes very much time with constructing, painting, plus adding in the taking of progress pictures. So press on, job well done to this point!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2020 :  08:42:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl the yellow doesn't look that bad at all.

Some very nice precise work on the wood framing and siding.

Looking forward to next weeks post!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2020 :  09:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Carl. The yellow walls in pictures of our local C&O station (Lee Hall) looks like your yellow. Good enough for me.

George

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2020 :  09:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Bless you Carl and your chosen yellow. Yellow is my fav color. Keep up the great looking color scheme.

Frank

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/15/2020 :  09:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
off to a rollicking good start. looks great so far.

diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie', until you can find a rock.

joakleaf
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 09/15/2020 :  10:23:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl

Looking grand!

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/15/2020 :  11:48:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl looking really good so far. Sometimes when we are doing something that's "historically correct" color choices are very limited. The yellow is not terrible. Keep going!

Page: of 21 Topic Next Topic: Modeling cement in plastic  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000