Railroad Line Forums - BCRR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 189 ]  [ Total: 189 ]  [ Newest Member: mm0047 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 BCRR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: R. T. HARDING MINING CO.
Page: of 11

CNE1899
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 12/11/2020 :  8:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kyle,

Just read your thread. Wow, I really love the backdrops and the style you have going. As everyone has mentioned, you have blended the backgrounds and scenery well. You also have some great perspective in the backgrounds.
Pastels are my favorite medium! I went to art school in college, and can appreciate your talent. You have good company in this forum.
Love the locos, the location, and the details. I really like your sense of humor( T-Rex, Minions, Death Star, etc..) You obviously don't take things too seriously.
Scott

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/14/2020 :  11:47:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx Scott,
I do try to look at this as a way to have fun. In the final analysis, if I'm not having fun doing this, then there's no reason to do it. If something interests me, and I can have fun doing it, all the better. Otherwise, forget about it. You're the first person to mention "BUBBLES" the friendly T-Rex (she works for the railroad), the Death Star, or the Minions. Thanx again. Are you new to the forum? If so, warmest welcome and check out all the other guys' topics.

MERRY CHRISTMAS,
Kyle

Larryc
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/16/2020 :  11:24:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kyle just watched your video; nicely done. That is a very impressive looking layout that your making. I especially like your "tongue n' cheek" use of the T-Rex and the Minions...bonana. Keep up the fine work. Also keep the portal...it's looks good.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/16/2020 :  5:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent backdrop!

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  12:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx Larry,
Thanx Big Lars,
All the kind words are truly appreciated. I think once all the trees and other 'flora' start to go in, the backdrop blend will start to look a lot better. I'm going to try a hunch I've been thinking about playing...One of the things that (in my opinion) detracts from a smooth blend between backdrop and 3-D scenery, be it trees, bldgs or whatever, is the common occurrence of two things;....shadows and super detailing. I don't have the ability to 'super-detail' the backdrop; and even if I could it is next to impossible to have everything look right from more than 1 or 2 angles, because it's 2 dimensional. Ergo, I'm going to "dumb-down" the 3-D stuff that detracts from the blend and exclaims HA-HA I'm not part of the backdrop!!!! Greenery and other ground cover that can be painted on the area immediately adjacent to the backdrop will more readily blend into the backdrop, as I found out after viewing the videos' opening sequence. 3-D grasses in the foreground will be duplicated in pastel on the backdrop. Trees, rocks and all other items will be located so as not to cast unwanted shadows, that can't be painted out or removed with pastels. This will therefore not draw undue attention to one objects' qualities in lieu of the overall scene, i.e. the backdrop is an integral and equal partner to the overall appeal of the scene. This will, in theory, also allow me to move the viewers eye more easily from foreground to background; instead of from foreground (real) to background (2-D backdrop) I also believe this will facilitate a smooth, natural flow from one scene to the next. I believe this will become even more apparent because as so many of you have pointed out, each scene on the backdrop has it's own perspective (vanishing point) and apparently was smoothly blended into the next scene. These small backdrop details would be lessened I think, if I don't try to have an overall effect that makes you 'feel there'. So, we'll see how it goes, and thankyou so very much for the compliments.

MERRY CHRISTMAS,
KYLE

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2020 :  10:10:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great layout!

Philip

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/18/2020 :  5:36:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANX PHILLIP,
I appreciate the kind words and the time spent checking the project out.
Just got back from buying xmas for the little lady. A pair of 14K white gold 2/3CTW diamond stud earrings, and a matching 3.71CTW bracelet. Used almost my whole little stash 'fun fund', but what the heck, I 'woulda' just blown it on some ol' railroad junk or pizza n' beer. Anyways, I got'em at wholesale cost from my nephew so all's well what no one tells!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS,
KYLE

Edited by - kyle creel on 12/18/2020 6:39:40 PM

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/21/2020 :  3:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I started the reconfiguring of Mt. Wilson today. Here's a few shots; I think (pretty sure) it's gonna look a lot better when it's finished. Plaster to begin being slung ASAP. This is gonna be so fun!!!!!!!!!!

KYLE

Download Attachment: 008ckcrsd.jpg
116.65 KB

Download Attachment: 007ckcrsd.jpg
129.34 KB

Download Attachment: 001ckcrsd.jpg
135.75 KB

Download Attachment: 009ckcrsd.jpg
129.07 KB

Edited by - kyle creel on 12/21/2020 3:53:39 PM

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/24/2020 :  3:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK; I added the paper sack 'filling', next (bottom photo) I started to make the changes to the backside so as to improve the "blend" of the mountain cliffs and the backdrop cliffs, since they are supposed to be part of the same cliff face. More to follow...

KYLE

Download Attachment: 001rsdkc.jpg
76.76 KB

Download Attachment: 004rsdkc.jpg
83 KB

Download Attachment: 006rsdkc.jpg
116.79 KB

Edited by - kyle creel on 12/24/2020 4:26:39 PM

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/25/2020 :  8:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was gonna fiddle around with the railroad this evening, but I got sidetracked and didn't. Oh well tomorrow's another day,(to quote SCARLET). So Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

KYLE
Supt.,/G.M. BCRR

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/26/2020 :  06:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Merry Christmas Kyle and we'll patiently wait for your next set of update pics.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 12/26/2020 :  07:54:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your videos really show Wilson's creepy scary face, interesting that your changing his profile...kind of liked it....scary!

Philip

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/26/2020 :  4:24:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the first shots of the new face of Mt. Wilson. The plaster isn't dry and I haven't finished the carving, but just a sample shot anyway.

KYLE
Supt., G.M. BCRR

Download Attachment: 005rsdckc.jpg
88.64 KB

Download Attachment: 010ckcrsd.jpg
138.34 KB

I'll post some more shots as the project moves along

Edited by - kyle creel on 12/26/2020 6:06:44 PM

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 12/27/2020 :  3:57:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You killed Wilson!
If you were a plastic surgeon I'd find a new occupation! Actually looks much more realistic with the sheer cliff! Good en!

Philip

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/30/2020 :  10:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx Phillip
Here's a couple of shots with the first bit of color. I haven't got the complete image in my head yet, but this is it so far...

Download Attachment:
002rsdkc.jpg

95.45 KB

Download Attachment: 006kc.jpg
77.27 KB

I've also begun the process of re-coloring the canyon to match the new Mt. Wilson; more to come....

Download Attachment: 010ckc.jpg
74.26 KB

Download Attachment: 007kc.jpg
112.88 KB

Edited by - kyle creel on 12/30/2020 11:29:16 AM

Page: of 11 Previous Topic: An Old Man Contemplates an Old Mans Layout Topic Next Topic: R. T. HARDING MINING CO.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000