Railroad Line Forums - BCRR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 218 ]  [ Total: 218 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 BCRR
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II Topic Next Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 27
Page: of 6

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/03/2020 :  2:54:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the BLACKROCK CANYON RR

Edited by - kyle creel on 09/07/2020 01:24:13 AM

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/03/2020 :  3:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone, Henry Perkins, showed me a way to post my pictures of the Blackrock Canyon RR; this is my latest version of the old Grizzly & Dilapidated Ry after the move to new location.
quote:
Originally posted by kyle creel

Download Attachment: 003 - Copy.jpg
146.54†KB

Edited by - kyle creel on 09/03/2020 3:39:27 PM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2020 :  3:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the photo posting.
Great looking scenery and RR.

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/03/2020 :  4:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the train room.

Download Attachment: 020resized.jpg
65.58†KB

...and some more shots of the layout

Download Attachment: 020resized2.jpg
67.8†KB

Download Attachment: resized.jpg
68.55†KB

Download Attachment: 047resized.jpg
82.4†KB

Download Attachment: 006resized.jpg
103.32†KB

Edited by - kyle creel on 09/03/2020 6:19:56 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/03/2020 :  8:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to see another layout. I'm interested in your backdrops.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/03/2020 :  9:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice. How long have you been working on it? Itís looking very realistic. I like the rugged look of the scenery.

Mike

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/04/2020 :  12:55:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The backdrop has 2 panels (walls); the one with the river is 4'tall and 13'6" long. The other one is 4' by 20' long. This is my second backdrop; the other was my first attempt at painting anything. I could always draw pretty well, but never painted. This backdrop was started on memorial day last year with my best friend Mark and was done with acrylics for the sky, and CRUDE mountain forms in different shades of brown to give me a rough idea of distance and overall horizon. John Allen said to keep the horizon at or above eye level. This time I decided to try pastels. Once again I have never done anything using anything but a pencil; but what the heck, if I mess it up I'll paint over it. So with Mark as my eyes and critic I started at the far end of the 20' side and worked my way around making it up as I went along. It took me from labor day last year till just after xmas; with October taken off to get the center peninsula (4x8) track up and running. The 4x8 section and the corner section with the bridge over the river were salvaged from the old layout. So I was able to re-use them. I was actually surprised that the track work held up; as it was all hand laid. So all in all I've been at it since memorial day 2019. Next week I'll install the dirt around the last few feet of track and then add ballast. I still have a 50" deep canyon (all the way to the floor) to finish plastering, and then I'll start adding the rock details. I left it looking desolate and unforgiving so as to create the impression that you are somewhere where you don't want to screw up and get lost or hurt. Lots left to do.......Thanx for the kind words; I have dozens of pics but am still having trouble getting them to post. It ain't over till the lady of abundant girth waxes melodic!!!!!!! KYLE

Edited by - kyle creel on 09/04/2020 01:02:33 AM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2020 :  08:46:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work! The backdrops add distance without stealing the show.

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/05/2020 :  8:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx Bill. This part of the backdrop is the setting for my version of a "Devils Gulch"; it's called 'Hell's Gate'. One of the pic's that I'm having trouble posting is a later shot with the Warren Truss Deck Bridge spanning the gulch

Edited by - kyle creel on 09/05/2020 9:16:08 PM

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2020 :  10:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great stuff!

Philip

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2020 :  10:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your friend has a good eye for the backdrop mountains and the shadowing, YOU know how to pick your friends. Excellent!

Jim

Take the red pill

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2020 :  03:34:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kyle, Glad you got the Forum photo loading procedure worked out, as we have obviously been missing out on a lot of your stunning work.

The backdrops look excellent.

Looking forward to your continuing progress.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/06/2020 :  03:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx; Mark is indeed a keen eye. I had no idea it would be so much fun doing a backdrop until I tried pastels. There's something about chalk that somehow made the drawing, shading, shadowing, and overall creating a "place" seem more fluid and natural. I can't really describe how, but somehow it just flowed onto the walls until what you see is what came out of my fingers. Sometimes now when I look at it from across the room, it almost seems like it's someplace you could actually BE. I made a short video with the trains running; and when I watched it, I could sort of feel myself being there. Boy THAT sounds weird!!!!!!!! Anyhow thanx again for all the comments, it's how I learn if what I'm doing is making any sense to anyone; or me. KYLE

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2020 :  08:14:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice. Love the backdrop

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2020 :  08:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking RR. The backdrop sure adds to it.

Jerry

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/06/2020 :  09:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You are very talented, Kyle. The backdrop is beautiful, the way it blends into your scenery so well done.

Mike

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Thunder Mesa Mining Company Part II Topic Next Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 27  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000