Railroad Line Forums - Quick Question: B'mann 4-6-0 min radius
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 206 ]  [ Total: 206 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Quick Question: B'mann 4-6-0 min radius
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Westport River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Broke Back Mining & Logging Railroad  

Wburg Pete
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  12:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can a Bachmann 4-6-0 reliably operate on 17" radius curves?

A friend asked and I have no idea...

TIA,
Pete

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  6:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be tight and the track would need to be perfect and the draw bar at full extension. If all that works out the couplers would need to be modified. It was designed for 22" radius. The engine is a giant. My guess is no.

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  9:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one curve that is 20" with a pinch point of just under 18". The 4-6-0 will go around but I have to slow it down to a crawl. Also be aware of what is coupled to it. It will do it but doesn't like it. Also I have a sound chip in the tender. The wires to the tender have to be just the right length or they will be too tight. Then they look awful on the straight sections. It's a compromise that I accept. But I wouldn't do it again.

Since I built my track I've added a shay. It will go around ok with the pistons on the outside of the curve but protests when they are on the inside of the curve. So think of possible future rolling stock and motive power.

If possible find another solution.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 08/26/2020 :  8:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete, this is what you should have on hand; "On30 Commercial Loco and Car
Minimum Radius Guide" http://www.npcrr.net/On30/On30Loco_n_Car_Radius_pics.pdf

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Wburg Pete
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/27/2020 :  10:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All, thank you!!

desertdrover, wow!! invaluable info!!!
Pete

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/03/2020 :  7:25:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two 4-6-0's and run them on 18.25" radii, and have no trouble. I also use the outside hole on the draw bar, and I moved the cab back about 1/8" so it is closer to the tender. The cab sits enough above the tender to where there is no binding, and it looks better. I studied some photos of prototype narrow gauge 4-6-0's, and found that the cabs are actually a little further back than on the Bachmanns. I also have about 90% hand laid rail, so you should be ok with 18" radii, however I wouldn't go any smaller; good luck.

Previous Topic: Westport River Lumber Co Topic Next Topic: Broke Back Mining & Logging Railroad  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000