Railroad Line Forums - First Brass Paintjob
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 249 ]  [ Total: 253 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 First Brass Paintjob
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy HOn30 Quarry Line
Page: of 2

HOn3Piffy
New Hire

Posted - 08/21/2020 :  7:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a time for my first post.

I read everything I could and today I took the plunge. Just finished rinsing my brass Shay after letting it sit in lacquer thinner and scrubing it with soap and hot water. I rinsed it in cold water. I've never been so nervous to spray something in my life. Got the Tamiya primer for metal. My wife doesn't get it, but I know you all will.

I know to do thin coats. I almost died when the front of the boiler came off, but it will assist in my headlight install I think. http://imgur.com/gallery/fmxinAL" border="0">
Ben

A Shay is a beautiful thing.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/21/2020 :  9:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First posts are hard to edit. I followed the link, it looks good. I tried typing it into the normal RR-Line posting format, but I think Imgur's javascript is keeping it from rendering.

If I right-click and select View Image it displays OK.

Edited by - jbvb on 08/21/2020 9:27:18 PM

HOn3Piffy
New Hire

Posted - 08/21/2020 :  9:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

First posts are hard to edit. I followed the link, it looks good. I tried typing it into the normal RR-Line posting format, but I think Imgur's javascript is keeping it from rendering.

If I right-click and select View Image it displays OK.

The middle school computer science teacher in me was like why won't this debug. Glad it wasn't just me.

Ben

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 08/22/2020 :  08:21:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Ben

Indeed it is, trivia: Ephraim Shay lived near where I do in Michigan before he moved North and invented the locomotive. The next road East of me is Shaytown Rd.

Nice project, lets see more soon, but make haste slowly.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2020 :  08:26:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I can't seem to get the image to show, get a 'page not found' notice no matter what I tried.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/22/2020 :  08:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice!

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 08/22/2020 :  09:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This worked for me, Bill: http://imgur.com/gallery/fmxinAL

Putting img codes fore and aft do not work for me, tho,

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/22/2020 :  10:02:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's important that you make sure the filename is simple. Use ONLY letters, numbers, dash and underscore. Any other characters are likely to cause big problems, particularly for this forum's software.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/23/2020 :  9:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is this it? It's a bit large.

NOTE: I deleted the picture because Rick was able to post a correct size picture.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Edited by - Bernd on 08/24/2020 08:58:48 AM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/24/2020 :  06:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/24/2020 :  07:01:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not to get off topic, actually not to get back on topic, but the smoke box front on most brass locomotives is not soldered on, they are almost always a friction fit so you can service the headlight.

never be nervous about painting brass, the nice thing about brass is if you feel you messed it up just dunk it again. to me plastic is a bit more of a mess because you always run the risk of damage to the plastic, if you use the wrong stripper you can melt it, or not strip the paint and turn it into a mess, or make the plastic brittle. the only way to damage brass is to melt it with heat.

most of the time people have issues with painting the drive train of brass. The issue is to take it apart and paint it, or leave it together and try and paint it without gumming it all up and it won't run. i find with shays the best way is to paint it together, making sure it is all oil free. I prop up the locomotive so the wheels are off the ground and connect some leads so I can get it running, then I paint it with several very light passes, and I mean several light passes. don't ever rush this step.

what can happen when painting brass is that you get paint in points of contacts that need to have good electrical contact. normally I solder jumper wires so I never need to transfer electricity through the trucks and then through the frame. if are going to keep the original electrical route method of the manufacture you may want to go back and clean all those points with a wire brush and maybe even add a little bit of electrical conductive dielectric grease.

don't worry about it, paint it and get-er done.

HOn3Piffy
New Hire

Posted - 08/24/2020 :  8:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Coaltrain

not to get off topic, actually not to get back on topic, but the smoke box front on most brass locomotives is not soldered on, they are almost always a friction fit so you can service the headlight.

never be nervous about painting brass, the nice thing about brass is if you feel you messed it up just dunk it again. to me plastic is a bit more of a mess because you always run the risk of damage to the plastic, if you use the wrong stripper you can melt it, or not strip the paint and turn it into a mess, or make the plastic brittle. the only way to damage brass is to melt it with heat.

most of the time people have issues with painting the drive train of brass. The issue is to take it apart and paint it, or leave it together and try and paint it without gumming it all up and it won't run. i find with shays the best way is to paint it together, making sure it is all oil free. I prop up the locomotive so the wheels are off the ground and connect some leads so I can get it running, then I paint it with several very light passes, and I mean several light passes. don't ever rush this step.

what can happen when painting brass is that you get paint in points of contacts that need to have good electrical contact. normally I solder jumper wires so I never need to transfer electricity through the trucks and then through the frame. if are going to keep the original electrical route method of the manufacture you may want to go back and clean all those points with a wire brush and maybe even add a little bit of electrical conductive dielectric grease.

don't worry about it, paint it and get-er done.

Ok, you all are awesome. I got the top all primed and painted in panzer gray. I didn't go black because I felt the panzer gray was pretty dark on my test brass. (Looks almost black on the model) I sprayed a couple Coors cans before I tried to prime and paint. Then I went for it.

So here is the question. How do I prep the gears and such for paint. I'm assuming the lacquer thinner will attack the drivetrain on my Shay. I would really not like to mess her up. Any advice on this part? Just soap and water and prime or quick dunk in thinner?

As for electrical I am working on getting a can motor so I will probably wire for all wheel pickup. No decoder or anything, just want her to have better low speed. She is a Shay after all.

Ben

HOn3Piffy
New Hire

Posted - 08/24/2020 :  9:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of progress pictures.

Ben

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/25/2020 :  10:15:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That looks good. I would use a chemical blackener like Blacken-It on the running boards and other parts of the chassis where paint might get chipped by derailments, wheel cleaning or other handling.

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/30/2020 :  07:50:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For shay drives I have better luck just washing them really good to get all the oil off. if they are painted in a brass color or clear to don't always have to remove it unless it is really thick and you feel it will look bad, it makes a great primer and you can just paint black over it. Speaking of primer, with acrylic paint I never use a primer, if the metal is clean that acrylic paint is tough as nails, however I do etch my brass models before painting so maybe that is why if have good luck just shooting them black.

however, I do not etch the drive, the sand will get in and ruin it, just wash it good. Just recently I have been working on an old brass Westside Heisler and I had really good luck spraying brake cleaner into the cylinder assembly, then I chucked the drive shaft into my wireless drill and used a clamp on the trigger to get the drive shaft turning slow, then I just sprayed several light coats of Polyscale black on it.

For your shay drive I would just wash it good and put it back together, then hook up some power wires and get it running slow, then spray several dust coats over it, letting each one dry before the next. I normally user Polyscale or Model masters acrylic and if you dust coat that paint it will dry in seconds so it is easy to just keep spraying around the drive until it is all coated. One thing I do before I paint is tape the wheel treads with some thing masking tape, that acrylic is really hard to get off the wheel treads.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 09/22/2020 :  10:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't add any advise to the conversation as I've never painted a brass model (at least not one with any visible moving parts), but what you've accomplished so far looks great so keep moving forward. I think you'll have an excellent locomotive when you're finished.

-Cody

Page: of 2 Topic Next Topic: New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy HOn30 Quarry Line  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000