Railroad Line Forums - Where Did All The Dead Railers Go?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 250 ]  [ Total: 251 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Dead Rail Forum
 Where Did All The Dead Railers Go?
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Late and Greatest News regarding Deltang receivers Topic Next Topic: New user  

psteinmetz
New Hire

Posted - 08/17/2020 :  12:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit psteinmetz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sad to see this Dead Rail forum die.

There is a lot of Dead Rail activity on Facebook.

The Dead Rail Society.

Not an endorsement of FB. Just stating a fact.

Pete Steinmetz
Pete Steinmetz
Dead Rail Society
www.deadrailsociety.com

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2020 :  08:22:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the people here tend to be more into model building than actually running the trains.
Maybe your post will stir up some interest again.

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 08/17/2020 08:24:11 AM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2020 :  09:31:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by psteinmetz

Sad to see this Dead Rail forum die.

There is a lot of Dead Rail activity on Facebook.

The Dead Rail Society.

Not an endorsement of FB. Just stating a fact.

Hi Pete,

I was getting into the R/C portion of this trend, but gave it up. Back when I was on the Freerails Forum I got to know David from Deltang. I believe he was just starting up with his R/C business for trains. I started using the Deltang receivers and have several engines with them installed. Then along came DanT (I believe his last name was Tission?). I got very wrapped up in the R/C and Dan got me interested in battery power, plus wireless charging. I traded post with both here and on Freerails. He was way advanced and was quite committed to R/C plus battery power and I believe he was working on sound modules also. Dan sort of disappeared. I tried tracking him down through some of the people he had worked with to find out what happened. From what I gather he is no longer with us. As a matter of fact he wanted to meet me in person at the Springfield show two years ago but I never made it. So, I've decided that I was going to put all the R/C, battery power and wireless charging on the back burner. As with any new type of control much time must be spent on research. I decided I'd rather build a layout and models then pursue the electrical side of the hobby. Also I'm a little leery of a total investment using Deltang receivers. I do like them better than anything else on the market. I also don't care for DCC and noise makers. I'd like to look into producing own R/C equipment based on the Deltang, but haven't figured out how to go about at present.

If a company would produce a version of the Deltang in the US I'd be more inclined to pursue battery power, wireless charging and R/C. For now I'm busy working on building a railroad and model buildings.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Graffen
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  03:33:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Graffen's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As mentioned above, most people here are currently in summer mode and the amount of time over for the hobby is most likely spent building models rather than writing on the forum...
But here's a question regarding dead rail:
Is there anyone that makes a system with all integrated components that's controlled by WiFi using a phone as a throttle?
I've been reading about the various components needed, and a WiFi board is dirt cheap.
Then there wouldn't be an issue with compatability with different mfg's components if all were going WiFi.
Sure, to avoid inventing the wheel all over, sound and lights could be supplied with a simple DCC decoder interface.
I've seen some mfg's almost making the mark, but they're all falling before the finishing line.
What do you think?

Michael Graff
"Deo Adjuvante Labor Proficit"
Swedish custom model builder.
http://sites.google.com/site/graffairbrushart

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  09:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where did dead rail go? I sold everything I had. Was using RailPro for control and a dummy to hold the batteries and it worked great. 2 things happened, I heard the great sound of ESU products which IMO RailPro could not touch. Second, Joe Fugate of MRH at Trainfest handed me the ProtoThrottle on a Sunday morning and showed me how to use it. I became one of the 1st 100 throttles pre ordered. I have not looked back as Tim at RailPro did not want to work with the guys at ISE to enable the PT to be used with RailPro.

I am a member of the FB group and will continue to follow it. TomO

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  12:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The last train show I went to a couple years ago in Indiana had a group of deadrailers. Interesting models/builders and a grand presentation. I'm stuck with electric but appreciate the leap forward. This one particular On30 Porter had a docking station to recharge like the Roomba. The engineer had to physically dock it.

great stuff!

Philip Smith

Edited by - Philip on 08/18/2020 1:00:11 PM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  9:54:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried it but there is no way I could cram the batteries and added electronics in the very small critters I do. Opted for small keep a lives added to the decoders. I do see progress on FB. If I ever do an out door layout Dead rail will my choice.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 08/19/2020 :  08:40:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Larry, dead rail is the only way to go outside.

Edited by - Tyson Rayles on 08/19/2020 08:44:02 AM

Jerry Kemp
New Hire

Posted - 09/04/2020 :  6:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Most of the people here tend to be more into model building than actually running the trains.
Maybe your post will stir up some interest again.

On30 dead rail person here, but I think that Tyson might be correct regarding the focus of forum members here.

shadow50
Section Hand

Posted - 10/10/2020 :  1:24:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dead Railer here also.

Unfortunately it looks like the whole large scale
forums has gotten a little thin.

I was speaking to one of my good friends regarding this and it appears that many folks have started to seek out their common interests with others on Facebook.

Perhaps that is a good form of support for the special interests but i just don't seem to care that much for Facebook.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 10/10/2020 :  4:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shadow50

Dead Railer here also.

Unfortunately it looks like the whole large scale
forums has gotten a little thin.

I was speaking to one of my good friends regarding this and it appears that many folks have started to seek out their common interests with others on Facebook.

Perhaps that is a good form of support for the special interests but i just don't seem to care that much for Facebook.

I'm on Facebook and follow several railroad groups. I don't see any advantage to Facebook. It's hard to follow any kind of build. If there is a way to follow somebody doing a project over a period of time I don't know about it. I think there is only one reason many modelers use Facebook and that's posting photo's. All you need to be is an appliance operator, plus it's free.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Previous Topic: Late and Greatest News regarding Deltang receivers Topic Next Topic: New user  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000