Railroad Line Forums - Why not comment and post?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 214 ]  [ Total: 215 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Why not comment and post?
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918 Topic Next Topic: R. T. HARDING MINING CO.
Page: of 5

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  3:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been a while since I've posted here but I check in pretty regularly and read a handful of topics, some new, some well established. It was a conscious decision to step away for a while for pretty specific reasons.

Two things turned me off - the folks who get away with inserting political jabs, and the folks who offer social commentary on how _____ (lazy, obsessed with video games, too busy taking selfies, etc.) the younger generation is. I was raised to respect my elders, and as I become an elder myself I try to see the good in people no matter if they are young or old.

I contributed a few build threads and really enjoyed participating in the challenges. I have no trouble uploading pictures though it isn't intuitive at all. I understand how some folks could find it too great a hurdle even though folks are very helpful to make it work. But I won't tolerate being derided for belonging to a younger generation, and I'm here for the outstanding modeling and camaraderie, not liberal-bashing or anti-science nonsense.

Sorry if this cuts too close to the bone for some, but you asked.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Edited by - ocalicreek on 07/13/2020 3:59:58 PM

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  6:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Galen,
No offence taken. Many of my friends in the hobby are old enough to be my father, too many have now passed. I am also helping many younger modelers start businesses in the hobby.
I see old and new modelers looking for help that could easily be found with a simple search of the internet. Some of us still try to help, Louis is the most patient of all.
We study communicating with multiple generations in my job, if you are ever able to take a class on it you will get a lot out of it, I did.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  6:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Galen,
No offence taken. Many of my friends in the hobby are old enough to be my father, too many have now passed. I am also helping many younger modelers start businesses in the hobby.
I see old and new modelers looking for help that could easily be found with a simple search of the net. Some of us still try to help, Louis is the most patient of all.
We study communicating with multiple generations in my job, if you are ever able to take a class on it you will get a lot out of it, I did.

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/13/2020 :  11:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BigLars - thank you for understanding.

I think sometimes we all forget that not everyone feels the same way we do about every issue, so we may make an offhand comment that to us seems perfectly innocent and ordinary but to someone else is really offensive. Any of us may do this without thinking and feel really bad and confused when the other person is hurt. Nobody likes that scenario, but it happens. Most of the time folks apologize and move on, no harm, no foul.

What gets me riled up is when someone drops a line or a phrase that is meant to be offensive for the sake of seeming tough or cool somehow. It is like a virtual nudge or wink supposed to make the other guys chuckle. They may mention a talking point from their favorite news outlet or some hot button topic to garner agreement or approval. In a forum where religion and politics is supposed to be off limits, this is unacceptable, and needs to be dealt with quickly.

I don't mean to imply that this happens a lot around here - quite the opposite. most folks seem intent on sharing the hobby without controversy. But it was happening enough that I decided to take a hiatus and see if it would go away on its own or get dealt with.

That said, this is still one of the best forums out there today, which is why I still check in from time to time and am happy to learn from the vast experience and knowledge being shared here. I may even throw in the occasional attaboy, but I agree with the others who have said they tend to get in the way of real content. A like button would be a great way to express that encouragement without taking up too much space. Then the comments can be filled with as many puns as folks can churn out. I do enjoy the puns.

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/17/2020 :  12:06:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to comment and post regularly, but stopped posting or commenting because I just felt so guilty about never being able to figure out how to post photos (RON NEWBY was always so kind to allow me to E-Mail them to him and he would post them) and to this day I still do not know how, or understand any of the process. I have since "finished" the GRIZZLY & DILAPIDATED Ry. in 2018 ; moved to another house literally "across the tracks" and am currently 60% done with the re-build of the railroad, now called the BLACKROCK CANYON RR, and still have no way to show any evidence of the progress; including for the first time using pastels to create the backdrop; it's only my second attempt at "painting" anything but I figured what the heck the first one wasn't so bad so I gave it a shot. So you see some of us really do enjoy reading and seeing everybody's work but can't offer anything but "attaboys" and "good job" to those that are really doing excellent work. Thanx for the opportunity to follow along anyway. KYLE

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 08/17/2020 :  06:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How is Ron doing? I have not seen him post in a long time.

I see the point of this thread, but ironically, the on30 forum is the most active one after the craftsman's corner, with the most posts and participants, by a good margin.

Arthur

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2020 :  07:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CieloVistaRy

I see the point of this thread, but ironically, the on30 forum is the most active one after the craftsman's corner, with the most posts and participants, by a good margin.

Ron is doing well, he is out west on a work assignment and not sure if he was able to take modeling stuff with him.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2020 :  09:30:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

quote:
Originally posted by CieloVistaRy

Ron is doing well, he is out west on a work assignment and not sure if he was able to take modeling stuff with him.

Larry next time you hear from Ron tell him I said HI!! Tell him I still remember I owe him that beer!!

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Edited by - TRAINS1941 on 08/17/2020 09:31:50 AM

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  08:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I post a lot on the logging and mining forum, i get some comments and some questions, but by far I am the biggest contributor to my own post.

FIRST, to those that post they like what I am doing or encouraging me, a big THANK YOU! if i did not replay to your comment i am sorry, they are appreciated.

SECOND, as much as i appreciate the nice comments don't feel like you have to, i share because I like to share. personally if i got as many comments as I get reads then the post would get really long and hard to follow, it would also be way to long and a lot of work to find any information or just follow along. I like any post i look at to read like a magazine article and not be have to go through pages of people posting "nice work", not that i don't like getting those.

What I like to see in a post is the person who's post it is to post what they are doing, and the readers to post questions, then the post creator to answer the questions. This makes it easier to read through and find all the good information that can get buried in all the "nice work" comments.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  12:48:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Craig H

I'm a airchair modeler so I cant comment.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  9:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just on a zoom meeting with Ron. I asked him to post an update on the forum.

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  9:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't drag me into this post I'm still sitting in my armchair.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  9:55:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I hope you have a snack and a beverage.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  10:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay we won't!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Smokestack Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/19/2020 :  08:37:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not been here for a long time, personal reasons. I'm back and hope to contribute to the forum.

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918 Topic Next Topic: R. T. HARDING MINING CO.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000