Railroad Line Forums - Why not comment and post?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 150 ]  [ Total: 154 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Why not comment and post?
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops – Europe 1918 Topic Next Topic: R. T. HARDING MINING CO.
Page: of 5

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2020 :  9:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the forum was down, I saw way more posts on other sites asking what happened ,than I ever see comments on the posts here. So for all of you watching, why do you not comment or contribute? Some of us are trying hard to keep the hobby going.

Faire to Midland
New Hire

Posted - 07/07/2020 :  9:38:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of you all are absolutely AMAZING at trying to keep the hobby going as well. I am in absolutely in awe of the quality of modeling here.

I wish I had more to contribute.

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/07/2020 :  11:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
26 reads and 1 response. That tells the story in itself. However this forum isn't any different from other forums. There are always more readers than contributors.
Yes I'm one of them. I learn from every post but often have nothing to contribute that has any great value.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  06:57:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I read perhaps half of the new RR-Line posts, but as above, I mostly comment when I have something (hopefully productive) to add.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  08:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

When the forum was down, I saw way more posts on other sites asking what happened ,than I ever see comments on the posts here. So for all of you watching, why do you not comment or contribute? Some of us are trying hard to keep the hobby going.

I've always asked that question Larry, and glad you brought it up.
Even if members think they have nothing to say, it is important to post "looks good" or "Looks bad" because the Forum well only continue to exist if members are active.
Good example is here; http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52984 Joe had to ask how active is the Forum? That could mean is it worth keeping it going. Heads Up people!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Dan
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  08:28:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even though my old man postings are pretty far from mainstream and some may even border on being model railroad heresy, I rarely get a reply; good, bad or indifferent. It is the nature of the beast. All things considered, perhaps this is a good thing!

As this forum tracks the readership for each writer's contributions, the resulting numbers can be considered as a sign of interest, although it is inexact as well as impersonal.

I seem to have a loyal reader base of about forty-five and they are much more than just a number. Whether they are lurkers or fellow Forum members, the above indication of continued interest keeps me posting.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  08:54:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, Good question but I don't have an answer.
Same thing happens here.
I see members looking at threads but not commenting.
Just glad they are here.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  09:46:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry they are too busy taking selfies.

Most likely the format here IE, photo convenience vs instant uploading.

Phil

Mark B
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  10:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I for one would like to see an easier way to post photos. I seem to remember that we used to be able to instantly send pictures to the forum. I and maybe some others feel a bit over whelmed with the current system and therefore do not post photos. Photos, I believe, would help drive more comments.

Just my thoughts.

Mark B.

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  10:12:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read the forum off and on during the day, but not always a commenter because I don’t feel the atta boy comment means anything to folks anymore. I do agree with Mark B. that if posting pictures was easily done there would be a lot more commentary. However, after many efforts of trying to post pictures from a IPadPro I am aware there are limitations in the forum software. Even with picture posting limitations this is still the best Model Railroading forum out there.

TomO

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  10:15:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I look at the forum almost daily. I sure would miss it if Joe took it down.
Every contributor takes a lot of time to build and post a project and would like to see comments on their builds or topics.
Thanks Joe for keeping the forum alive!!

David Guffey

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  10:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark B

I for one would like to see an easier way to post photos. I seem to remember that we used to be able to instantly send pictures to the forum. I and maybe some others feel a bit over whelmed with the current system and therefore do not post photos. Photos, I believe, would help drive more comments.

Just my thoughts.

Mark B.

Mark, the picture posting method hasn't changed since the forum was started.
I agree we'd have more activity if it were easier.
Joe did have newer software but was unable to transfer all posts to the new software.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  10:37:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Fellas,

I admit, when the forum was down this week, I felt like I was unable to contact anyone in the modeling world, and felt truly alone. I guess I would feel the same way, if the forums were gone completely.
I like to post and comment on each others work, and I enjoy people commenting on my work as well.
It's the best site to see ongoing builds and show others our work. But, you've got to post threads for this to happen.

Thanks Joe

Rich

MarcusF
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  10:42:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I post when I feel I have something to add to the conversation. Otherwise I'm appreciating the person's work.
In some threads, some people don't appear to want a conversation, they just want to monologue and post pictures, which is fine with me.
Not that it's happened to me here, but some people may post a question and get a "less-than-helpful response" or, in rarer cases, if you're not in the "club", and you ask a question, it doesn't get answered, so why bother asking?
Again, very rarely here bbut more common for me in other forums, I follow Granny's advice: "If you can't say something nice...".
There may also be an intimidation factor here. There's some very high-level modelling going on here. Looking at the caliber of work being presented in other forums, folks may just feel too intimidated to comment at all.
All that said, I visit fairly regularly, look at the new posts, and follow up on the threads I find interesting. I think this is a great community of skilled modelers, and I hope it continues for a long time to come.

potsy
Crew Chief

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  2:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marcus post hit the nail on the head for me. I model in HO but I'm not as efficient modeler as a lot of people and seems hard to post picture because I'm not tech savvy

thanks Joe for keeping us going

Mark

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  6:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see this post generating comments and thoughts. I do not visit as often as I once did, and do not post all of my progress. I try to give updates when I can.

I saw some comments about the high quality of the models. I honestly believe that is because there are a large number of posters here that will help if asked. In the past we really pushed each other to get better. I have seen the quality of many modelers rise over the years, it might be a little bit of the human competitive nature. I push my self to raise the bar to many of the others standards.

So remember, we all have to start somewhere. I will try to answer questions as time permits.

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops – Europe 1918 Topic Next Topic: R. T. HARDING MINING CO.  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000