Railroad Line Forums - Harmony Junction Switching Layout
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 158 ]  [ Total: 161 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Harmony Junction Switching Layout
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: looking for builder of Fast Track turnout Topic Next Topic: Layout Lighting
Page: of 13

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  07:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like a lot of work and a measure of ingenuity with excellent results.

Mike

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  08:07:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Rick, Mike and Mike.

George

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  08:24:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George,

Leaving that gap on the backside is very smart, offers you a lot of possibilities.

Jim

Take the red pill

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  09:03:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great job on those curved corners, George.

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  10:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bruce.

Jim, I'm not sure what you mean by the gap on the backside.

George

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  10:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looked like about a 1-3" opening between the back wall and the layout top, not there?

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 11/12/2020 10:48:51 AM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  10:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, the only openings are the three little openings for trains to pass to staging. Those will be hidden by buildings and trees (I hope).

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/17/2020 :  9:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been working on the mechanism to align the cassettes with the layout track. It not only will it align the rails, but it also will carry power from the layout to the cassette. It's uses two pieces of 1/8 ID brass tubing (one for each rail) soldered to long ties. These are soldered to both the cassette and the layout track. A piece of 7/64 OD brass tube slides inside the larger tube to do the actual alignment and carry the power. I hadn't properly planned for this design, so I had to add three 1 1/2 long ties to the ends of the layout and the cassette. I used pieces of strip wood to space the tubing away from the rail, so rolling stock would clear the 1/8 tubes. I held everything in place with the pieces wood seen in the picture. I tinned the ties and tubing before I put them in place, making soldering easier.

The cassette on the right of the picture is my standard for spacing on all tracks and cassettes I'm building. It's only long enough to hold a locomotive.

I guess not everyone may know what these cassettes I keep referring to are. They are 1'x3 strips of wood with track mounted on them and they holds trains. Another way to describe them is that they are movable staging tracks. I've long been a fan of British switching layouts and have read about them and seen them in action at train shows (exhibitions) in England. It's a flexible way to make up trains and stage them.

Here's a picture of the cassette being slid into position.

Here's the way it looks after connecting. I'll be adding little handles to the inside tubes to make it easier to move them in and out of the 1/8 tube.

You may have noticed a gap between the staging table and the layout. That is where the supports for the backdrop will go. There's a wood spacer, that you can't see, there now.

The adjustment of the height of the table that holds the cassettes is critical to having the rail heights match. Here's a picture of the adjustment mechanism I came up with.

The clamp holds everything together. Horizontal alignment isn't critical. The two screws on either side of the clamp are for adjusting the height of the staging table. The two screws on the bottom are for the layout height. I have two sets of legs. This one for a tabletop mounting and one long set for mounting the layout on a floor.

Next, I need to make up a set of cassettes and start running trains to make sure the layout is ready for scenery.

George

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2020 :  06:31:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very slick George,

Will you have another physical connection between the staging table and the layout? Like some latch to keep a 'bump' from damaging the rail connections?

Jim

Take the red pill

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2020 :  07:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very clever.

George, seems like you'd need a lot of heat to get those brass tubes soldered properly...

Did you use a pistol shaped soldering gun, or was small wattage pencil iron sufficient ?

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2020 :  09:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, I'll make a drawing of the way things fit together that better describes how it works.

Thanks, Carl. I use my soldering iron set on the highest setting. The piece of wood holding everything in place allows me to hold the iron on the joint till it's melting solder, which is surprisingly fast. Tinning the pieces help a lot.

George

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2020 :  09:47:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking a little closer, it appears the 'cassettes' can move around freely on the staging table unless connected with the brass tubes. Right? I was thinking about the klutzes that show up at module events.

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 11/18/2020 09:54:04 AM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/18/2020 :  10:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's correct, Jim. Here's a sketch I made showing the connection between the layout and the staging table.

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/19/2020 :  10:42:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made my first full sized cassette yesterday and I ran a train this morning.

I learned a few things. First, when pushing a freight car through one of the turnouts, it picked the points. A little work with a file corrected that I hope. Second, the pins that slide inside the 1/8 tubes are too long. The tubes are 1 1/2 long, which is good because it can be soldered to three ties for stability and alignment. The inside pins are 3 long, allowing full insertion of the pin. That's way too long, inserting the pin 1/4 is enough to align the cassette with the layout track and provide an electrical connection.

I have to get busy building some more cassettes so I can do some real operating.

George

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2020 :  08:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George you are doing a first class job on the benchwork/wiring/track laying but it's been over four months and still no scenery! Pick it up a notch will ya?

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: looking for builder of Fast Track turnout Topic Next Topic: Layout Lighting  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000