Railroad Line Forums - FSM Jacobs Fuel Co - An old one still on the shelf
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 82 ]  [ Total: 84 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 FSM Jacobs Fuel Co - An old one still on the shelf
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: C&V RR pulpwood loading area Topic Next Topic: SWSM Railroad Camp Scratch Build
Page: of 2

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  07:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I posted this build when i started many years ago here. As usual never finished and is still un finished. It took a dive to the floor at some point and resulted in having to re build all the frames under the bunkers and another other parts.

The office is also part from Bar Mills Husrt Boiler kit that suffered and eppisode with moisture. The card backing didnt fair well so i went bout scratch building a new one.

Anyway slowly getting there on this kit and i mean slowly due to number of years.....

Owen Pass Lumber Company
HO Logging Layout in a Shed.
https://owenpass.blogspot.com/

kebmo1
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  08:09:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice work!

diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie', until you can find a rock.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  08:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's beautiful. Well worth going back and finishing the scene.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  08:42:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very impressive group of structures. I hope it goes smoothly from here.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  08:53:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice! I like the office you added. I have an old "Saratoga Coal" scalehouse/office that I'll probably add to the scene with my Jacobs and its associated lumber piles and small ice house.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  1:33:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adrian, those models look really great already!
I'm certain they will look even more fantastic once you get the time to finish them.

Greg Shinnie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  4:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very nice Job. It really looks good.

Bob

It's only make-believe

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  5:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all, I do struggle with scenery as it has been way to long. Unfortunantly i started the base layer of sand and grout and while adding the next layer of crushed coal and debri it didnt blend well. I ended up with clear distinct lines where the wet water didnt spread or blend.

Ill jump back into it again soon and do a new base.

I would be tempted to buy this kit again. its an enjoyable build and can be a had at a decent price.

Owen Pass Lumber Company

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  7:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a great looking model, Adrian.

Bruce

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/10/2020 :  7:55:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great. That sure is an imposing structure.
Bring on the scenery.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 06/11/2020 :  10:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

BEAUTIFUL !!!

Frank

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2020 :  12:46:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments and motivation. Has generated some enthusiasm.

Firstly I mentioned some the issue I had with the layers of scenic material. A sandlewood color grout with real dirt mixed in, fine cinders, real coal and powders. I used alcohol and wet water to try bend it but the weathering powders created clear lines.

What you see here is pictures after several weeks of drying. A clear line in the sand so to speak.

The major lines occur under the structure so not a real drama. I decided to attempt blending with more chalk and that seems to have worked.

Owen Pass Lumber Company

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2020 :  01:07:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In addition to the above I worked on the office building.

The windows and parts come from Bar Mills Hursts Boiler and Welding. In the rebuild I broke the window mullions on the front door.
I fixed this after adding clear styrene then new timber to it.

I also worked on the roof window. My original build of this kit had the window installed incorrectly and just never looked square. I framed out the older laser cut window parts and added the small wall sections. Appears to have worked for now. Adding the roof material will be the deciding factor.

The ties are down for the track. now and later i will paint and weather them. The rear of hursts building has a lean to with a loading platform on the original. It was a tar paper structure with timber batten. I plan to reinstate this with the dock up against the track for some small freight. Not sure what that will be for a coal / fuel supply dealer??

I had a Walthers coal conveyor in my details store. It needs some more painting but on the right track. You can see the black chalk here masking another dividing line in the scenery layers but the conveyor will add to the distraction.

Also starting on some details from various suppliers including some of my own cast from scratch built masters (on the top right)

Owen Pass Lumber Company

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2020 :  10:16:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Adrien,

Iíve had problems with ground materials not blending very well. I will sometimes go back and wet an area down with my spritzer of wet water and add dilute glue and more dirt etc.

Coal dealers were often combined with other businesses such as lumber yards and feed and grain dealers. Hardware would be another possibility. Would need to be modest in size to fit your module. I think a hardware store could fit in your office building.

Mike

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 06/13/2020 :  5:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Michael,

I wanted to go back with the wet water and do a bit more but was getting disheartened. to my surprise it looks good to me once all the elements are in.

Building supplies would work well. The front windows are rather large and i wanted to add something to look at on the interior back wall to trick the eye. I have lumber rack that was from a bar mills kit that may fit in the scene. Might go dig it out today and see if it fits the scene.

Always have the option of a seporate lumber storage to be added on the lead in track.

Owen Pass Lumber Company

adrian_batey
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  07:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit adrian_batey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was reading a few comments about the limited activity of the forum so thought i should update this build topic among others. This build is back on the shelf until i decide ona roofing material for the office.

Any thoughts? tar paper, ribbed seam copper, corrugated, shingles ect i'm not sure. I would like to try copper roofing but haven't seen many prototype pics. My limited knowledge on the subject may be problematic in my image searching..

Anyway loading dock has a roof and some coal loaded up. the roof is designed in the kit to extend across the whole structure but i decided to split it at the end of the second bin.

Detailing a small storage area with various castings.

The last bin that i think was overlooked in the design possibly. not sure about the access in there with a loading dock as well. I figure my coal loader could squeeze in there maybe..

Two of my own castings from a master. these were seconds due to air bubbles but they are somewhat hidden and thought they will do the trick tucked in here

And lastly some scenery and ground cover. Please ignore the lack of NBW details on the timber joints. Ill get to them one day...

Owen Pass Lumber Company

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: C&V RR pulpwood loading area Topic Next Topic: SWSM Railroad Camp Scratch Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000