Railroad Line Forums - Family Farm
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 208 ]  [ Total: 208 ]  [ Newest Member: SceneryTime ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Family Farm
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing
Page: of 15

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/31/2020 :  3:32:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The basic smoke house is finished. When I start detailing then I'll add a pile of firewood on the side of the building.

The doorknob is a straight pin, borrowed from my wife, pushed through the door and glued on the inside.

The chimney was scratch built and the roof is weathered strips of tar paper. The whole building was given a light brown wash followed by a A&I wash.

Here is what the building looks like in position in the farm. The chicken/pigpen will be a building behind the smokehouse.

Here is a better shot of the roof which was copied directly from a photograph.

That's where I'm at for now. The last small barn will be the next on the list.
Thanks for following along and any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/01/2020 :  06:57:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/01/2020 :  07:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice!! Youíre really on a roll.

When is your wife going to ask for the pin back?

Mike

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/01/2020 :  09:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick thanks for the "thumbs up".

Mike thanks, I'm trying to get the buildings done so that I can make any final adjustments before I start any scenery stuff. Hopefully my wife forgets about the pin.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2020 :  10:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After stepping away from the diorama for a few days, I was getting burned out a little, I finished the basic build of the pig/chicken barn:

Because this is a barn I decided to paint/weather it the same as the main barn; plus it added some variety. Tried something new and added "rafter tails" to the front to give it a more realistic look. Didn't turn out too bad for my first attempt.

Here is the end view. When I start detailing then I will add some wood to the roof end edges to cover up the corrugated card.

When I was looking at the first photo the roof looked too new compared to the rest of the barn. So I used some weathering powders to make it look more worn and old. Also there will be a fenced in pen for the pigs and chicken wire for the chickens. The small opening in the front will have a ramp for the chickens to use to get inside the coupe.

Here is about where the small barn will be positioned on the diorama; of course nothing is set in stone yet. I'm also toying with the idea of moving the garage forward to create more room around the farm instead of having it all bunched together which will give me more room for details. It's a little different than the "real deal" but I think that it looks better. Any thoughts?
That's where I'm at for now. Thanks for looking and any thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2020 :  6:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Larry. Great collection of structures. I like the weathering of the timber.
And of course nice to see the classic red barn. So typical on US farms.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2020 :  7:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A fine job your doing there. A complete farm system with all the out buildings.

The groundwork & details should bring this all together.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/15/2020 :  8:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking better all the time.
Nice job on the weathering.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/15/2020 :  8:59:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob thank you; I tried to make the buildings as I thought that they might have been. Had to give it my best guess as all of the photos are black and white.

Jerry thanks. The ground work will be a little tricky as that is not my "strong suit"; so I may need some suggestions and help along the way.

Rick thanks. I'm quite pleased how this is turning out. There so many great examples on this forum when it comes to weathering that it gives me something to go by.

Next will be laying out the driveways and the areas around the out buildings. More to follow.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/17/2020 :  11:56:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for a small update on the farm. The driveways are laid out as well the areas around the barn and buildings. I used a blend for the dirt areas which is a mixture of real dirt, play sand, and artificial dirt. The sand helped to lighten up the mixture and the artificial dirt gave the mixture some depth. After a thin layer of white glue the mixture was applied using a "sieve" and pressed down with a scrap piece of foam-core. Afterwards the whole area was sprayed with a 50/50 mix of water and white glue which was left to dry.

When I started to lay this out I used masking tape to tape off some of the building areas so that the building would be down in the dirt and not sitting on top. I realize that this created straight hard lines but those will be softened after the buildings are glued in place. Also to save myself frustration and cut down on the swear words I'm going to start at the back of the diorama and work my way to the front with the detailing so that I'm not reaching over what I've already done. Now it's starting to look like a farm. The photos show a lot of dirt areas and weeds and not a lot of grass.
That's where the farm stands at present. Any comments/suggestions are welcome and of course more to follow.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/17/2020 :  1:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was getting burned out a little

This happens to all of us at one time or another Larry!

Still looking good.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 08/17/2020 :  6:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Carl. When the project starts feeling more like work instead of being fun then it's time to back off for a bit. I figure that it's going to take me many months to complete so I want to do the best work possible and not just "get it done."

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  09:14:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats on getting the scenery started.
I like that you masked things off so it doesn't look like buildings are sitting on top of the ground.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  10:12:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My memory of relativeís farms is a large dirt area Ike you are doing, Larry. The buildings were arranged around that. I assume the heavy farm machinery and truck discouraged grass, etc. The lane going back into the fields went off from this area. An area adjacent to the animal barn would be fenced to keep the critters in. Where my memory differs from what youíve done is that the buildings were not situated at the various angles you have.

As regards scenery, to my eye the biggest problem is soil turning out too dark. Dry dirt is actually quite light, a tan color, not brown.

Youíre going to have a very convincing scene where you finish.

Mike

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2020 :  12:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Coming along nicely!

Philip

Page: of 15 Topic Next Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000