Railroad Line Forums - Family Farm
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 201 ]  [ Total: 201 ]  [ Newest Member: SceneryTime ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Family Farm
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing
Page: of 15

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/15/2020 :  5:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In one of my earlier posts I had mentioned what an inspiring story and diorama for the family farm that we had been given the links to. Sorry but I gave credit to the wrong person; it was Carl B's diorama and not Davids. Oops; can I chalk this up to a Senior Moment?

Edited by - Larryc on 05/15/2020 5:44:00 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/15/2020 :  7:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sure you can Larry. Wait till you see how many (K)(C)arls there are on this forum!

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/17/2020 :  5:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for an update. I'm always looking for new ideas and techniques to try in my modeling. A few years ago I came across a website by Cleaver Models which sells paper model collections by the way of downloads for a reasonable price. So I bought their "waterfront" collection which contained a bunch of buildings. Everything that they sell is in O scale with directions on how to change to a smaller scale but not a larger one; except I figured how to up-scale to Gn15. This was fine except a building with any size to it ended up being printed on multiple sheets. I built one building but was not impressed with the finished product; it looked so flat. They also included a couple of tutorials one of which was how to layer a window for a 3D effect. I built one window which took a lot of time and patience; the window turned out reasonably well. That being said when I was thinking about this project I decided to do a "test" area of siding which was layered. The result looked promising. Here is what I started with:

In the collection that I bought there was an "extras" folder which contained a lot of different sidings, roof treatment, brick walls, etc. The one that I printed out was natural wood siding on 110# paper which actually is like thin card-stock. Cut this so that 2 siding lengths were together. Glued on the first piece with white glue and glued the next piece on top of it so that only 1 length showed. Also I used a dark brown colored pencil to color the exposed edge so that no white showed; this created a "shadow effect" which really gave the siding a 3D look. I'm very pleased with the way that it turned out.

Of course I can't do any modeling without my "helper".

No matter where he is in the house as soon as I go upstairs he follows me up and lays in between my feet; and gets some extra petting while he's there. He's part MaineCoon Cat weighs in at 18 pounds and takes up half of the couch when he stretches out.

This's what I was able to achieve with this technique:

The windows are grandtline which was recently bought out by a company called San Juan Details. I ordered twice the amount that I would need so I could start a "parts box" which I have never had. They have about 20 pages of different products for O scale which are reasonably priced. The order came from Colorado to New York State in 5 days by USPS and was packed well. Color me impressed. I'll definitely be ordering more stuff from them in the future. I still have to add window shades to the windows and may put some parchment paper behind them so that you can't see inside the house since the interior will not be added.

Thanks for looking in with more to follow.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/20/2020 :  3:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With learning any new technique "mistakes were made", to quote Timmy Failure, and this project was no different. Made the HUGE mistake of trying to wrap the siding around the corner so as to keep it going on the opposite side. The result was that the higher I went up the side the more "curved" the corner became. After going about half-way up I decided that this would not due. I put a new blade in my knife and very carefully cut on both sides of the corner and removed the siding with a pair of curved tweezers. Then I cut a length of siding and glued it to each side of the corners as you can see from my previous post. The only problem was that I didn't like the "2 board" look. The solution was to print a new sheet with the siding upscaled to 145% which gave me the same width but only one board wide. Much better appearance as you can see:

Doing this diorama I've come to realize that I much prefer constructing buildings and making it come to life with scenery than actually running trains. This may explain why when I get a layout completed I become rather bored with it. Anyway the above pic shows the side of the main building.

Next was to start the addition on the side of the house. Here are the sides with the corner braces installed and the windows & door cutout:

The same technique of siding was used on the addition except this time I did the corners correctly and will still add the corner boards to keep the house cohesive. Also the photo of the real house shows that there were vertical boards at the corners. Not as wide maybe but I'm not a "rivet counter" so using a wider board was fine with me. The old "live and learn" certainly applies here.

Still have to do the window treatments and glue in the windows and doors. I'm going to wait on making the roofs until last so I can add the trim boards first. Also I need to figure out the third addition which goes on the back of the main house. There's still a lot to do before I can start the Barn and out buildings. Tons of fun!!

Thanks for looking and any comments/suggestions are always appreciated.

Edited by - Larryc on 05/20/2020 3:25:11 PM

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/20/2020 :  3:29:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks fantastic.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/20/2020 :  4:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick, easy, and looks very good. Keep going Larry!

Jim

Take the red pill

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 05/20/2020 :  9:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work! Cool cat!

Philip

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/21/2020 :  11:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick, Jim, and Philip thanks for your comments. Yes our cat is definitely one-of-a-kind. I reread Carl B's family farm post and I must say that it was incredible especially being done in Ho scale. If mine comes out half as good as his, then I'll be a "happy camper".

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/21/2020 :  11:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's looking good Larry

Bob

It's only make-believe

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/21/2020 :  12:10:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the compliment Larry.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/21/2020 :  1:44:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your family home is looking nice and cozy. Good job.

Mike

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/21/2020 :  3:47:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob and Michael thank-you for the compliments and for following along. Carl B. your welcome; your project has also given me some ideas to help me on mine.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/24/2020 :  6:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd share an update. The windows are finished in the first two parts of the house. They have had acetate (glass), shades added, and are glued into the building. Also the last addition has been built and the front is sided:

The addition was built the same way as the other parts of the house were built:

Because I wanted to keep the size of the diorama reasonable, I decided to take a queue from Carl B's project, and made the back addition about half of the length of the "real house"; otherwise the diorama would have been really deep.

Here is a closer view of the front of the third, and final, addition to the house. The side still needs the siding and the two windows still need to receive the same treatment as the others.

The next step will be to glue the house parts together and start on constructing the foundation. I need to order some scale lumber to do the upper trim work around the roof areas and to make the roofs. If I have to wait for the lumber to arrive, in order to finish the house, then I can always start on the Barn & Silo.

That's all I have for now. Thanks for looking and following along.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2020 :  10:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/25/2020 :  11:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great job your doing.

Love that cat!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Page: of 15 Topic Next Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000