Railroad Line Forums - Family Farm
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 153 ]  [ Total: 156 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Family Farm
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rocktown & Olympus RR Topic Next Topic: Mara Harbor on YouTube
Page: of 19

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/08/2020 :  3:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Started working on the house area. The first thing was to side the back of the house addition. Originally I thought that the back of the house would be against the backdrop; that is until I looked at the photos closer. Afterwords I outlined the foot print and put down fine green turf. Then added, rather sparingly, sifted dirt and then sand to tone down the green. The whole area then received a spray of 50/50 water and white glue. Also the garage was moved and the old area was redone with dirt. The new outline of the garage is a little closer to the front edge.

The roofs looked too new so I dirtied the rolled roofing with some black weathering chalk and used some rust colored to add some streaks on the metal roof.
Next up will be to add some weeds around the house and a worn path from the driveway to the kitchen porch. Then it's the garage/garden area which is the last part of the Farm to finish the initial scenery. Probably after that it will be on to some super-detailing in some areas.
That's it for now and thanks for stopping by.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  3:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bit of an update. Made steps for the porch and the back addition. They were made from scale lumber stacked up and glued. The front edge was rounded on each step to give a well used look. They were finished with diluted raw sienna and then given a coat of A&I; glued in place. Also added some weeds here and there and made a worn path from the driveway to the front porch:

Also at the request of the Lehigh Valley Railroad a fence was constructed around the track coming into the Farm. This was made from skewers for fence posts and scale 1x6's for the horizontal boards. The whole thing was made using a diagram for proper alignment and glued. The fencing was made in two parts and given a coat of A&I. Holes were made in the dirt and the fence was glued in place. The LHRR says "safety first".

That's it for now. Next up will be to finish the garden/garage area. Then I may have to wait to add the other details that I want because the company that I was going to buy the parts from is closed due to a family medical emergency. In the meantime I may start planning my next project in ON30.
Any comments/suggestions are always welcome.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  3:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like your new progress pics.
Looks very good,
Hope you get the details you need soon.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  9:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really looking good!

It will be interesting to see what your next project is to be. Meanwhile, I hope you can get your details reasonably soon.

Mike

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2020 :  01:19:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Larry. I haven't looked in for a while. You are making great progress. I do like how the weatherboard siding came out.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Edited by - robert goslin on 11/13/2020 01:19:44 AM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2020 :  08:27:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry great work on this.

The house is really done well. Looking forward to your next post.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2020 :  09:19:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking better all the time Larry.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2020 :  10:00:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Railroads and right-a-ways!

Looking good Larry!

Philip

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/13/2020 :  11:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick thank you for your kind words. I want to add a wagon and an outdoor saw for cutting logs. If I have to I may get what parts that I can and build them myself.

Michael thanks. The next project(s) will be totally different and a whole lot smaller.

Robert thank you and thanks for stopping by.

Jerry thanks for your kind words; much appreciated.

Carl coming from an expert modeler that means a lot; thanks.

Philip thank you.

I mentioned this in the Geezers' Lounge but I'll ask here also. Does anyone know where I can order vertical boilers, steam engines, and shop machinery from? The couple of sites that I've tried have come up as a dead end. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2020 :  12:28:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.wildwestmodels.com/products/products-o-machines.html

He has a boiler that's nice.

If you want machinery I assume like mine its Sierra West Models.

I really don't know anyone else who does that stuff I'm sure there is but I never have come across them yet.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/13/2020 :  1:04:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry thank you for the link. They have some nice products and I'll have to see what I can use.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2020 :  6:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Larry,
https://wisemanmodelservices.com/ has a good selection. His products tend to take extra clean-up time. On the flip side is affordability.

Philip

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/14/2020 :  10:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philip thanks for the link; I'll have to check it out. I did some parts from Crow River this morning but I'm sure I'll need more soon.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/15/2020 :  3:23:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last of the scenery material is finished on the farm. From my photos the garden had tall grass around the perimeter of the area; so I tried to copy that look:

Also I tried to add the dirt thicker in the garden area and used a stick to make some "furrows" in the soil for planting. It actually is more noticeable in real life:

Finally got around to painting the dog and the cat. The dog I tried to make more like a Collie like the dog on the real farm. Also the cat I painted to look more like our cat; looks like I missed some of his tail...oops:

That's it for now. The order that I have coming has some tires which I will paint and put around the farm as well as adding some weeds around the garage. Then it's adding small details and cameos around the farm as my wallet permits.

Any comments/suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks for stopping by.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 11/15/2020 :  3:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tilling dirt looks and builds the scene. The cat has a litter box Looking great!

Philip

Page: of 19 Previous Topic: Rocktown & Olympus RR Topic Next Topic: Mara Harbor on YouTube  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000