Railroad Line Forums - Family Farm
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 214 ]  [ Total: 216 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Family Farm
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918
Page: of 15

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/09/2020 :  11:28:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry thanks. The hardest part of making the tree was getting the wire armature twisted correctly. I think I have down now.

Larry thanks; the animals are really nice and paint up well. I'll pass on the WWI soldiers; they must have taken some serious time but you've done a great job on them.

Philip thanks; yes we now have milk.

Rick thanks for the compliment.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/13/2020 :  3:24:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been working on the whole backdrop idea. Thought I would share a "proof of concept" project. I was able to download a backdrop texture and triple the size by using MT Paint which is available in the Linux OS for photo manipulation. It's easy to use and does a great job. Then I ran that file into my Mac and used iPhoto to enhance the backdrop and was able to print it one section at a time. It was assembled to form one long, 4ft.x 8in, backdrop. This was long enough for the one side and back of the diorama:

The last photo shows the entire diorama. Like I said this is "proof of concept"; some of the joints show and some of the paper is wrinkled a little. The backdrop was printed on regular paper. The pasture side turned out better because it was mounted on heavy corrugated cardboard; which was all I had on hand. I've figured out a way of assembling so that the joints aren't noticeable, I hope. Going to buy some mat-photo paper, and more ink, and reprint the backdrop and mount it on all corrugated cardboard before attaching it to the diorama. The cardboard is heavy enough to support the backdrop without any problems.
That's where I'm at for the moment. Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2020 :  3:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your photo backdrop really adds a lot to your diorama.

Are you planning to add more trees?

Mike

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/13/2020 :  5:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike thank you for the nice compliment. Yes I'll be adding more trees at some point. Once the backdrop is finished, then I can figure out where to put more trees and scenic material to try to blend the diorama in with the background. Tons to do, but I'm taking my time and enjoying every minute of this project.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2020 :  7:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry- I applaud your willingness to try new things and techniques. Well done.

Please keep us posted on your photo-paper backdrop project too....

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2020 :  05:03:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Backdrop looks very good.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/14/2020 :  10:01:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Larry, Big Lars, gave me a link for photo backdrops but they were $45 plus shipping. Didn't want to spend that much on a backdrop and would have had a lot left over. That's when I came up with the idea of trying to make my own. The finished backdrop I'll post right in this thread since it is part of the farm build.

Rick thank you. I think that it will look even better when it's reprinted on photo paper and all of it is mounted on heavy corrugated cardboard, which I found enough of to do the back side of the diorama.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 09/14/2020 :  10:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Taking Shape sir!

Philip

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/14/2020 :  1:25:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Philip.

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/14/2020 :  10:29:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The angle of the shot in the first picture is really outstanding. From a depth perspective it highlights the backdrop and the objects in the foreground. The overall effect is really cool;...I like, I like, I like!!!!!!!!Kyle

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/14/2020 :  11:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! Philip that back drop sure did change the look of everything.

Great job.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/15/2020 :  12:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kyle thanks for the kind words. Glad you like the photo. Like they say "a picture is worth a thousand words".

Jerry thanks. It does really make a difference in the presentation of the farm. Hopefully you get a "valley feel" of the farm when it's viewed.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/22/2020 :  4:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even though I haven't posted in a bit, I've been busy working on the farm:

Redid the entire backdrop which looks much better than before. Painted up all the cows to look like Holsteins, which my Grandfather had on the farm.

Constructed another tree only larger this time to go behind the smokehouse; actually it's hiding a noticeable seam. Have to be careful on placing trees on the "business end" of the farm as the photos don't show many trees. Most were around the house and down the road/driveway.

The last four inches of backdrop I wasn't satisfied with the way it looked so I printed a different part of the backdrop and was able to blend it in with the rest of it.
Next up will be pretty much finishing the pasture/pig/smokehouse areas before proceeding with anything else. Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2020 :  5:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a comment! What a beautiful job your doing on this farm.

The grandparents would be proud of your work.

Jerry

"And in the end, its not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/22/2020 :  7:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Jerry's comments 100%.
Also, the small tree looks good but the bigger one looks even better.

Page: of 15 Previous Topic: Lets get those ON30 juices flowing Topic Next Topic: Corps of Canadian Railway Troops  Europe 1918  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000