Railroad Line Forums - Family Farm
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 230 ]  [ Total: 233 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Family Farm
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Crossing Tower Topic Next Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 27
Page: of 14

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/03/2020 :  09:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Larry for the link; I'll check it out.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/05/2020 :  11:22:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Added some more details to the small barn that I'd like to share:

Added a pig troth along with a water line. Also made a chicken feeder. This was the type that my Grandfather had brought from the farm to the village. You'll notice the "chopping block" at the end of the chicken coupe. This was where a chicken would literally loose his head as you can see by the blood stains on the side of the block.

I don't know if you can tell from the photo but I filled the troth with poly to simulate water. In person it looks like water in the troth. Sand was used in the feeder to simulate chicken feed which would have been about the same color and size.
Next will be working on the tree for the pasture field and start painting some of the farm animals.
Thanks for looking and any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2020 :  3:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lookin very real, Larry.

Mike

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/05/2020 :  7:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Larry very nice indeed!!

Glad I'm not a chicken that block looks like it was used a wee bit!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 09/05/2020 :  10:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking great! Are the animals on the way?

Philip

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/06/2020 :  04:25:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keeps looking better and better.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/06/2020 :  11:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike thank you for your kind words.

Jerry thanks. I'm sure that the real block was well used when feeding a family of 5+.

Philip the animals arrived a couple days ago and they are very nice. I've already sorted through them and picked the ones for the farm. Starting to paint them after the tree is finished. There are enough left over for a few more projects down the road.

Rick thank you. This is a lot of fun; although I didn't think that my two best friends would be a pair of curved tweezers and a box of toothpicks.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/06/2020 :  3:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I finished my second complete tree; although my first attempt was an utter disappointment. Also I tacked up the blue sky paper for now until I can get a proper backdrop; I was sick of looking at the paneling.

This what the tree looks like still the in wire form. Basically you take X number of wires by X inches long which is then folded in half and twisted however tall you want the tree trunk to be. The rest of the length of wires are divided by 2 and twisted to form a branch. This done repeatedly until you run out of wires. It's a little harder than it sounds.After the wires are done then the entire tree is coated with 3 coats of latex rubber, allowing to dry in between coats. After that the rings are cut open and the branches bent to look natural.

The tree is painted with a couple coats of grey-brownish paint then highlighted with a dry brush of white. The top is sprayed with a glue spray and dipped into course green turf. This is done repeatedly until the desired foliage is achieved. Afterwards the top is sprinkled with a light green fine turf for an additional highlight.

The tree was planted into place; I still will work the base of the tree to blend it into the ground scenery. I am extremely happy with the way that tree turned out. Once I build a few I'm sure they will go quicker and look better. The cow gives the tree a sense of scale.
Now it's onto painting farm animals and start adding more details in between painting.
That's where I'm at for now and any comments/suggestions are much appreciated.

kyle creel
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/06/2020 :  5:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice tree Larry. I like the trees' form and texture. How many more do you need to make? Have you tried the fiber material that comes in a couple of colors of olive and green? It sorta looks like someone yanked out a whole s---load of old shag carpet strands and pulled 'em apart until they look like a bundle of nylon fiber; (I guess that's really what they are after looking closely at them), anyhow, I found that they make wonderful small inner branches if used sparingly. and add a sort of fullness to the tree without making it look 'globby', and you can see through the branches.. keep up the great work, nice farm.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/06/2020 :  8:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kyle thank you. I'm very pleased with the way that the tree turned out. This is new territory for me as I have never bothered with trees before. I'm familiar with the fiber that you mentioned as I have used it for over growth along fences and buildings. I'll have to give it try and see how it works for me.
Thanks for stopping by.

Larryc
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  3:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought that I would share a small update:

Painted two cows so far and quite surprised how time consuming that it was. So I'll probably paint a couple at a time. My Grandfather had told me that he raised Holstein cows on the farm. Mostly white with black markings. They are like snowflakes; no two are exactly the same. The pigs are about the right color the way they are so just some details will be added. The chickens will need to be painted however. Lots of fun.

Thanks for looking and comments/suggestions welcomed.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  5:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry at first I thought it was to hang cow hides on!!!

But on the second picture that's a pretty nice looking tree. An the animals aren't bad either.

A job well done.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  5:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry,
Nice cows, glad they worked out. For a real exercise in time consuming paint, try WW1 figures with a full pack. :-) I can send you some.

Edited by - BigLars on 09/08/2020 9:03:52 PM

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 09/08/2020 :  8:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have Milk! nice job!

Philip

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/09/2020 :  03:43:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the tree and cows.

Page: of 14 Previous Topic: Crossing Tower Topic Next Topic: Geezers Lounge Volume 27  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.8 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000