Railroad Line Forums - beginner track questions
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 71 ]  [ Total: 78 ]  [ Newest Member: Fred of Medford ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 beginner track questions
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Looking for I deas on building O scale SHADOW BOX Topic Next Topic: On30 Annual 2020 Pre-Sale  

leftyfretguy
New Hire

Posted - 04/02/2020 :  9:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hello All,
I recently purchased track for a long delayed on30 project. (This is what I purchased) https://www.hiawathahobbies.com/Micro-Engineering-On30-Code-83-Non-Weathered-Flex-Track-6pk_p_14328.html
I have some old steel rail connectors. Will they be ok for use with this or should I purchase something else? The plan is to solder the joints as well.
I planned on laying the track directly on plywood and not using any foam or cork base. Other than sound being a bit louder, are there any issues with that method?
thanks in advance,
Matt

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/02/2020 :  9:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Matt,

I'm not an On30 modeler but you will have one heck of a time trying to 'solder' steel connectors or anything else designated as steel (it rusts!). Get Nickel Silver connectors to work with and you'll be a lot happier with those results. As far as the plywood mount, you already know the noise will be something to deal with.

Jim

Take the red pill

Edited by - BurleyJim on 04/03/2020 12:08:08 AM

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 04/03/2020 :  08:53:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello!

You will need code 83 rail joiners from micro engineering. The part number is 26-083. They come in a bag of 50 each. The HO old school joiners are to large compared to the correct ME ones.

As far as laying on plywood I would recommend laying it on cork or something to dampen the sound. I never nail mine. I use Aleenes glue (water based) under every 5th tie. Plus the process will be insured when you install the ballast and white glue thinned down! Some others modelers may chime in and have a better way.

The main thing is to have fun, great stress reliever!

Are you a guitar player Lefty fret guy? Your user name hints musician or Luthier?

Philip

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/03/2020 :  12:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both Jim and Philip give you sound advice. Myself, I suggest you would not solder every joint, but if you don't have a feeder to each rail, you may want to solder some together, but not all. If you solder every joint, expansion or contraction will mess up track alignment, creating big issues down the road. You need some room for expansion/contraction especially more so in some areas of the country.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Lighthorseman
Section Hand

Posted - 04/05/2020 :  4:52:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use run-of-the-mill Atlas n scale rail joiners for my ME code 83 rail. They’re a tight fit, but are less visually intrusive than HO rail joiners, I find. They are also available just about everywhere. No special orders needed.

Edited by - Lighthorseman on 04/05/2020 4:55:26 PM

brucet
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/05/2020 :  6:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I back up the view of not soldering every joint. One hot or cold day will cause problems. I know. I've had to cut gaps into nice track wok and solder on jumper wires.

Previous Topic: Looking for I deas on building O scale SHADOW BOX Topic Next Topic: On30 Annual 2020 Pre-Sale  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000