Railroad Line Forums - Building FSM Branchline Bucket Coaling Station
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 213 ]  [ Total: 218 ]  [ Newest Member: BlackDiamond1964 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Building FSM Branchline Bucket Coaling Station
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Motraks Bisgeier Tool Topic Next Topic: Ben Threshers Mill
Page: of 13

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2020 :  1:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

While attending the 2017 NMRA National Convention in Orlando, and walking the aisles of the Auction Room, I was amazed at the number of old FSM Kits available.

Then I remembered we were in Florida - where aging modelers go to retire - and eventually pass on - leaving their stack of un-built kits. I managed to pick up 3 for under $30 each. (The # of kits kept prices down.)

Anyway, before it ends up in my Estate Sale, I thought that I'd build it.

Kit #230. Instruction Sheets and templates never touched. Sealed packets still sealed.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2020 :  1:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if anyone has ever done a build thread here on the Forum for this kit.

I do know that George scratch built one as part of the 2013 Challenge. Here is a link to the page where George D. posted his fist drawings: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38875&whichpage=7

Like so many others that I've seen on layout tours, I will build mine without the rear extension. I will probably build a coal storage shed off one side.

This coaling station will be placed neat the engine house on my HOn3 Slate Run RR.

I am not building this as part of the 2020 Challenge because winter travel plans will probably mean that it won't be finished until after the deadline. However, it will be on the layout near the water tank that I did build as part of the Challenge.

Bruce

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2020 :  2:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Bruce, great kit and looking forward to your build.. I scratched one in 1:20.3.

Frank

Ensign
Engineer

Posted - 01/21/2020 :  2:24:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, looks like you picked up a deal, and now as a result will be having some fun building this classic FSM kit.
I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Greg Shinnie

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2020 :  2:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce,
As the other members have chimed in, I will be looking to see how you plan on coloring/aging the wood. I also have the kit, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Rich

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2020 :  3:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always liked that structure. Following along Bruce.

Very nice work on yours Frank.

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2020 :  3:39:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'll be lurking as well.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2020 :  4:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll follow along Bruce.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2020 :  4:13:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. I hope to not disappoint. I also hope to keep a pace going to keep you from falling asleep.

Rich, since my Slate Run RR is a logging RR with a short lifetime, the coloring will be for unpainted, weathered wood.

Fank, thanks for the photo. The more samples that I see, the more ideas I get!

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2020 :  4:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of more sample photos, here is George's HO-Scale scratch build.

And here is an O-scale version on Tom Piccirillo's Somerset Traction RR.

Bruce

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2020 :  6:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's my vague recollection that the original design was either by EL Moore or Irv Schulz. Does anyone remember back that far?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2020 :  9:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul (Shamus) did one in O scale.

I did one similar with dirt floor and no crane.

Following Bruce!

Philip

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2020 :  09:12:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although the wood for framing the side walls, end wall and floor were pre-cut and safely in plastic bags, the rest of the stripwood was bound into stacks with rubber bands. Those bands had dried up and had broken, so the first order of business was sorting that wood by dimensions.

Since George used 'fractional' stripwood (1/16" x 3/32", etc.) for this kit, my trusty Midwest Products rule made the sorting easy. Those slots at the top of the rule are cut from 1/16" to 1/2" and designed for this task.

I doubt that any is missing, but if it is, I have an ample supply of fractional stripwood from 1/16" sq. on up.

With that task done, I will start staining stripwood this morning.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2020 :  09:20:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

It's my vague recollection that the original design was either by EL Moore or Irv Schulz. Does anyone remember back that far?

dave

Dave, apparently it was given the cover photo in June 1955 and the article was written by Paul Larson.

Bruce

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2020 :  09:25:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bruce!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/22/2020 :  5:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like many others, I built the kit long ago. It was a fun build, but the built up structure always seemed out of character in that I felt the structure was too big scale-wise for use on a HOn3 diorama. This diorama, along with a couple of other dioramas were destroyed in a move. I did however recover most of the castings which have found homes on newer dioramas.

I colored my structure a worn scarlet red. If I were to rebuild the structure, I think that the color of old wood without any past/worn paint would be my presentation.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Page: of 13 Previous Topic: Motraks Bisgeier Tool Topic Next Topic: Ben Threshers Mill  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000