Railroad Line Forums - Looking for I deas on building O scale SHADOW BOX
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 91 ]  [ Newest Member: Fred of Medford ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Looking for I deas on building O scale SHADOW BOX
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch Topic Next Topic: beginner track questions
Page: of 4

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 01/22/2020 :  10:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan, Sent you a PM want to ask how tall was your backdrop ...top to bottom... and the width you made the alum frame.... talked to the company this morning that makes all the framing and asked me more questions Before they make up the order and priceing

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2020 :  11:33:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig, I am in the exact same boat you are in and ready to start benchwork. Curious on pricing and going to the site for parts cost.

Link to Dolly Varden build which I have seen and it is impressive.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15424

Edited by - BigLars on 01/25/2020 11:52:45 AM

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2020 :  5:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, Yes I'm curious to on what it will cost me but what ever it is I want it They said from NY it should only be 2 or 3days for shipping. I will be calling then Monday Morning. Just got the final measurement from Frank Palmer today which I needed to give me a idea on what length's to order Larry sent you a PM

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 01/25/2020 :  5:27:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Craig, just sent you a PM. See how close Franks measurements are to my memory guesses :)

Cheers,
Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/25/2020 :  6:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Craig,
Thanks for talking with me tonight. Looking forward to your thoughts after you receive your order.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  10:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the sample from the Dolly Varden thread

Craig,
Most of the parts are available on ebay and my local lows claims to stock the tubing. I will be investigating further. Plus the light bulb went on for me and my daughter runs the office for a fencing company and they cut aluminum all the time. I have asked her to see if they can order the stuff.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  10:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here goes

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  11:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Larry, What have you been up to been doing some homework I see.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  09:59:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Craig H

Yes, placing a test order of parts from eBay today and heading over to Lowes to buy some tube.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  12:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Craig H

I hope your taking notes Craig you started this thread lots of good info from Larry!

Jerry

"And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  3:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a note for you guys looking to work with aluminium framing and the plastic corner joiners...make sure the aluminium wall thickness matches the size of corner joiners you select. The tubing can come in different wall thickness (1.2mm, 1.5mm, 1.8mm etc). I usually get my supplies of both plastic and aluminium from the one metal supplier. The last time I bought the two components from different sources (aluminium from metal supplier was half the price of the local hardware store, but needed a couple of extra joiners from said local hardware), the internal friction connection didn’t match...ie the joiners were loose in the tube, so not a solid join. I normally use 1.2mm tube, and joiners must have been for 1.5mm, which was enough for them not to hammer lock in position.

Larry, also note with the photo of the Dolly Varden module you have drawn your parts list over, it was the centre trestle bridge module which dropped down below the standard base level of the other modules, so with normal module for us, the riser pieces you have recorded as “brown” were not required for the module.

Cheers,
Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  3:42:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan,
Thanks for the advice. I was going to order a few connectors as a test for one piece of Aluminum tube that I can source locally.

Is this is what the rest of the modules were designed like?
Picture deleted to reduce confusion

Edited by - BigLars on 02/16/2020 8:06:05 PM

Neil F
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  5:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Larry, Have you looked at transport this is a major cost for us as we have to hire a van or trailer, we worked out what each costs and how it would stack. Some boards go on there bases and some on end, the trailer is cheapest but takes longer to get and return, but is cheapest when going abroad when we went to Germany France and Holland.

As you can see we have room in the van, but when we have the trailer its full, we take pictures with us for Customs to see what' in the van.
Another thing to think about is storage we store boards on top of each other to reduce the floor area when not in use. Make sure the ends can take another board on top.
Best of luck with the new build.

Neil F in Stockport

http://sites.google.com/site/purgatorypeakmodelrailroad/home

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  6:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Neil,
I have thought about transport. My guess is this layout only goes to one or two shows then ends up my home layout. The first show in Hickory is 1.5 hours away and I will rent or borrow a box truck to move it. After that possibly only one module and a loop around the back will fit in my SUV for small shows.

Craig H
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  9:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Jerry I talked to Larry today.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch Topic Next Topic: beginner track questions  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000