Railroad Line Forums - The New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 175 ]  [ Total: 181 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 The New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: round house
Page: of 5

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  1:51:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Thanks for the "shout-out" Bernd. You're on our way to modeling bliss now!

I'm sure I got the chipboard technique from another modeler, but I can't remember who!

Carl,

Got to give credit to the guy that explained it all to me. When I was looking for who put me on to it I did a search. I did find a thread back in 2006, I think, of chipboard being mentioned, but you were the first to give the finer points on how to use it when I asked you what it is. So take a bow.

I take it you use white glue to glue your siding onto the chipboard? I'm going to try Georges method of using double sided tape. I'm concerned that the walls might warp using white glue even with weights holding it down.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  2:36:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bernd.

white glue to glue your siding onto the chipboard

I did, but sparingly, not complete coverage.

using double sided tape

Curious about this idea, will be watching your progress & results.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2020 :  3:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope the 3M adhesive works out for you.

George

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2020 :  09:03:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Thanks Bernd.

white glue to glue your siding onto the chipboard

I did, but sparingly, not complete coverage.

using double sided tape

Curious about this idea, will be watching your progress & results.

Thanks Carl. Did a test piece about 3" square. Didn't come out to bad. Used way to much glue though. Going to order some adhesive tape and see how that works.

Here's my thought on both the glue and tape. Over a large area such as I need for the walls I think the tape should work better. On smaller areas such as your station I think thinly spread glue might work better. Report coming once I get the tape.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/13/2020 :  09:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

I hope the 3M adhesive works out for you.

George

From what I've seen on the few kit's I've put together with that type of adhesive used, I think it should work. If it's as sticky as that 3M Hi-Strength 90 Contact Adhesive I'm using to glue those vinyl rock sheets to the gator foam board, I think it'll work.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2020 :  12:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, so yesterday was Friday the 13th. (11-13-2020) I should not have done any modeling. Mind you I'm not superstitious but I had some bad luck. I proceeded to glue the last two master molds into their mold boxes, placed weights on them and figured I'd be all set the next day. Well, the next day:

With those three pieces of solid round steal on top, the mold had shifted itself during the night. The other one turned out OK. It's solidly glued to the wall of the mold box and bottom. What to do? If handed a lemon make lemon juice. I needed to find out the volume of the box in order to mix up the silicone rubber and the white glue I used should release if soaked in water. So I got a half gallon milk cartoon filled to the brim and poured the water in the mold box. I discovered the mold box isn't 100% water proof, but at least I got a good idea of the volume needed of silicone rubber mold compound to mix now. I dreaded having to make another box just to get a volume. I know I could have measured and calculated the volume, but this is more fun. So the lemonade should be ready soon.

More to come once I get the mold UN-STUCK.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2020 :  1:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, I never worry about Friday the 13th. I can have bad luck any day. This morning, I spent a couple hours cutting and soldering some brass just to find out my design and measurements were wrong.

George

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/14/2020 :  4:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok, I got lemonade.

After soaking all day in water the glue finally let loose enough to be able to pry up the mold from the base. A quick clean up and drying everything up. It was glued back in and pinned with six straight pins so it could't move. Tomorrow will tell the tale.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/14/2020 :  5:29:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Friday the 13TH? Sounds like a 'normal' day here.

Jim

Take the red pill

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2020 :  7:22:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finally received my 3M Adhesive tape. I went for the 12Ē X 15 feet. Tried it out today on the upper part of the rock crusher building.

First I made some inserts for the main building. I was going to use an floor underlayment plywood but decided it would change dimensions with the humidity. I used the gator board instead. Cut up two pieces for a ceiling and a floor in the block part of the structure.

Next I made a floor for the upper part of the structure large enough to extend over the block work of the front and side wall. I used four pins to pin it in place when assembling the walls.

The upper walls were cut out from the chip board.

Then the board and batten siding was cut to fit the chip board. Thatís the 3M Adhesive paper.

I cut a piece a bit larger than the wall to be trimmed to wall dimensions later. To get good contact of the adhesive I used a piece of pipe to roll the back of the chip board.

Trimming the tape to size.

About half way through trimming the tape to size I noticed it wasnít sticking to the chip board. Come to find out there is no adhesive in the area toward one side to make pealing the paper off easier.

So I cut a new piece. Pealed back easily from the edge leaving the tacking substance on the chip board.

Next I used two 1-2-3 blocks to help align the board-n-batten to the chip board. Unfortunately I didnít get the second block into the picture. The 1-2-3 block formed a small square so I could get the wood positioned accurately the first time.

Again I used a 1-2-3 block to help position the second piece into the proper alignment.

And finally the last small piece.

And hereís the first wall.

More to come as I progress.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2020 :  08:13:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

I read through this entire thread this morning, and not being able to model for the last 6 months, I can see I missed out on many other great threads as well.
Great how-to on the acrylic mold boxes, but tedious work for sure. Your method of using the gatorboard seems like the way I would go too.
I enjoy reading your threads, and like several other folks, you show everything, step-by-step, with many tips to use for future modeling. Thanks for taking the time to show everything. I will be following this more closely as you proceed. Good work buddy!

Rich

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2020 :  08:36:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, I like your use of the 1-2-3 block to align the pieces before the adhesive grabs it.

George

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2020 :  11:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Bernd,

I read through this entire thread this morning, and not being able to model for the last 6 months, I can see I missed out on many other great threads as well.
Great how-to on the acrylic mold boxes, but tedious work for sure. Your method of using the gatorboard seems like the way I would go too.
I enjoy reading your threads, and like several other folks, you show everything, step-by-step, with many tips to use for future modeling. Thanks for taking the time to show everything. I will be following this more closely as you proceed. Good work buddy!

Rich

Thanks Rich. I have a habit of being a bit verbose at times. I think pictures explain a lot. I've run across people posting how to's in other forums I've visited and found them lacking. This is one forum I've found the best modelers on. Many give clear and concise ways of doing things. For example both George and Carl B gave me the idea behind using chip board and different methods of attaching wood to the surface. I just repeated there methods on a larger scale.

I'm really thankful for all the friends I've made on this forum. That's why I've stuck around.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2020 :  11:24:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Bernd, I like your use of the 1-2-3 block to align the pieces before the adhesive grabs it.

George

Goerge,

Any straightedge that's thicker than the two pieces you want to glue together and hold in position will benefit from this method. BTW, I'm liking this adhesive tape method of combining two different materials. It's a lot neater than glue.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2020 :  1:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

BTW, I'm liking this adhesive tape method of combining two different materials. It's a lot neater than glue.

Bernd

Glad to hear it's working for you.

George

Page: of 5 Topic Next Topic: round house  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000