Railroad Line Forums - The New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 177 ]  [ Total: 184 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 The New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: round house
Page: of 5

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2020 :  09:37:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Making a model of SRMW's roundhouse would be a superb model. Interesting reading the description of the model. It's odd how some company's and people can get blacklisted from publications.

Frank

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2020 :  09:51:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How was your experience with San Juan Model Co ?

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/28/2020 :  10:48:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Carl Ijust ordered windows from them. They were in no time. With a thank you note for buying from them.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2020 :  1:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Carl,

I got the same treatment Jerry did. 2 day priority mail and a personal hand written note. I will definitely go back for more product in the future.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/28/2020 :  1:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Making a model of SRMW's roundhouse would be a superb model.

I'm hoping I can pull it off.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  08:51:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Quick update on the roundhouse project.

Have finalized how I'm going to make the master mold for the stone wall blocks. This will be the first of a set of molds to make the stone walls.

The backs of the, I believe, resin cast walls had a slight depression in the middle and when put on a flat surface would rock some. Using 80 grit sand paper I carefully sanded the backs some what flat so they wouldn't rock any more. Using the flat surface of my table saw to do the work.

I'm using 1/4" thick Plexiglas with a 1" border to glue, maybe screw, the rock wall to.

The sides are 3/32" thick Plexiglas that will be both glued and screwed to the bottom.

I'm using my Bridgeport milling machine with the mold base set on edge to drill holes for 2-56 screws. I'm holding the 3/32" sides so I can drill a hole through both the side and into the bottom of the mold. This will ensure proper alignment of the 3'32" sides.

I know the question, "Why are you doing so much work on a mold?" As I said I'm making a master mold that the stone blocks will be cut out and then a second master mold will be made of the wall for the roundhouse walls. If you don't start with something that is near perfect the end result will not be good looking. Yes it takes time but "near" perfection does take time.

WWG1WGA

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  09:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Youíre not going to get perfection if you donít strive for it. Itís going to be a beauty of a roundhouse.

Mike

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  09:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

So let me get this straight. You're making a mold of the walls and then you're going to cut the blocks apart and reconstruct new walls.

Frank

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  10:52:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, I find it really useful to buy a stone tile (not ceramic, the stone is honed flat) and permanently sprayglue sandpaper to that stone. I think I have 2 different grits done that way. It's a necessity for working with castings to get a smooth and even surface.

Interesting to see your drilling setup!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  1:05:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress Bernd! I like your choice for the stone wall blocks of the roundhouse. Looks as though you are putting a lot of work into this project.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  2:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Youíre not going to get perfection if you donít strive for it. Itís going to be a beauty of a roundhouse.

Mike

I'm trying to control myself into taking time to do a project. One of my problems has always been to start a project and then sit there and think of all the wonderful things I'm going to do to get to the end of finishing the project as my minds eye see's it as finished. I've got several collecting dust that started out that way. After watching you guys here building such beautiful structures and other model items and the time you took to get them where you wanted them to end up I figured I need to try that. So, so far so good.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  2:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

So let me get this straight. You're making a mold of the walls and then you're going to cut the blocks apart and reconstruct new walls.

Yes, you are correct. This way I get to control the size and position of where I want the blocks to be placed. Those molded walls is the closest I could find to the type of blocks I wanted. Also once finished with the walls I'm hoping that the roundhouse will have a different look from the kits out there.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  2:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Bernd, I find it really useful to buy a stone tile (not ceramic, the stone is honed flat) and permanently sprayglue sandpaper to that stone. I think I have 2 different grits done that way. It's a necessity for working with castings to get a smooth and even surface.

Interesting to see your drilling setup!

dave

Dave,

That's a great idea on gluing down the sandpaper. Since I'll be doing some sanding on the plaster walls I'll have to look into that idea. Thanks.

The drilling set up comes from years spent in the machine industry. This way the holes will match when you assemble the parts. I'll do a more in-depth post when I get around to doing that.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  2:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

Nice progress Bernd! I like your choice for the stone wall blocks of the roundhouse. Looks as though you are putting a lot of work into this project.

Thanks Louis. I've a few more samples of stone walls that I'm going to use. These are the first two molds. I have six, probably 7 more molds to make. See the pictures of the items near the top of the first page.

I want to make all the molds first before I order a large amount of casting rubber and pour the molds all at once.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Edited by - Bernd on 08/07/2020 2:33:10 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  3:45:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, just a thought...instead of cutting apart the wall into individual stones after casting it,
would it work as well to use a variety of tools (Dremel, hobby knife, small gouge and chisel to slightly change
the faces of stones so they don't look like they did originally? Then you'll have walls that don't look like any
others, but still a solid one piece casting overall?

Edited by - Bill Gill on 08/07/2020 6:59:25 PM

Page: of 5 Topic Next Topic: round house  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000