Railroad Line Forums - cleaning shingles
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 134 ]  [ Total: 141 ]  [ Newest Member: DanielR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 cleaning shingles
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Mitchells Munitions Company Topic Next Topic: Rail Scale Miniatures Whispering Falls arrives  

dad4the3
New Hire

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  5:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

big ol box from ebay arrived.jennings lumber and several others.very dirty,any advice on cleaning shingles???First pic ever posted here......

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  6:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Patrick, welcome here to RRLines.
I use a large soft bristle brush to gently brush a dusty surface, while holding a vacuum nozzle close to what I'm gently brushing.
Sucking up the dust before it can settle back down again on the same surface being cleaned.

Greg

dad4the3
New Hire

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  6:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

better pic,,,,im learing... i hope

dad4the3
New Hire

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  6:51:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks greg.... i will try that.My qtips are coming out black.Still very happy with the box of buildings.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  6:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patrick,

As Greg mentioned, Welcome Aboard!

If your Q-tips are coming out black, I'll strongly recommend that you use a respirator until you get this stuff cleaned up. You have no idea of what's coming off the building, and breathing that can lead to Bad Things Happening....

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  8:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I concur with the soft bristle brush approach. I use one about 3/4” wide, gently. The q-tip sounds too slow and could rub the dust and dirt into the shingles unless you have a very soft touch.

Also, I agree with Pete about protecting your lungs.

And welcome from me too. You’ve already mastered the art of posting photos.

Mike

Railrunner130
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  06:16:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Railrunner130's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You could repaint the shingles. I did that with a prebuilt kit. Gave it a whole new look.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  07:47:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome, Patrick. Micro-Mark offers a 'Miniature Vacuum Kit': a small extension hose with a vacuum power adjustment and several brush nozzles. It isn't a tool I'll ever wear out, but it's useful to clean dust off HO equipment and structures

dad4the3
New Hire

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  08:09:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks to everyone for the great advice.I hadnt thought about what is on the shingles.You have a great point.Small vacuum...hmmm One could use such a thing.thanks alot.

Previous Topic: Mitchells Munitions Company Topic Next Topic: Rail Scale Miniatures Whispering Falls arrives  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000