Railroad Line Forums - Devil's Mountain Quarry
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 45 ]  [ Total: 45 ]  [ Newest Member: crossbuck ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Devil's Mountain Quarry
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch Topic Next Topic: Looking for I deas on building O scale SHADOW BOX
Page: of 8

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  9:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More to follow.

Philip

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  9:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
J.B.Speed owned a limestone quarry in Milltown, Indiana. In later years after abandoned it picked up the nickname Devil's Mountain. I'm bulding a small quarry. I'm needing a few odds and ends. An engine shed is first on my agenda. A rough timber structure. More details will follow. Have all the wall plans complete, still need to finalize the truss and coupla vents.

Philip

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  9:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All right there Philip, sounds interesting, looking forward to your construction.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  9:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lou!

Here is the hopeful final plan with jacks and kingstuds in place. The window and door openings are Tichy #2014 and #2021. Waiting on supplies from northeastern scale lumber. Hope this plan will work. I may need to adjust the stud width when I do the overlay on wax paper. Ah what's another day training at something I need practice with! Corrected footprint is: 16 X 40'6"

Philip

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  06:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm following as well.

Philip, your drawings are nice, what software do you use?

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  08:44:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Quarry? Now that got my attention. Any chance you know why?

I'll definitely be following along. Nice start on a building. I'm going to be doing something similar with my quarry project.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  08:46:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see you back at it Philip!

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  09:09:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks like a great project, Philip.

Bruce

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  09:31:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philip your architectural drawings are very well made, and serve their purpose of conveying intent, scope and direction you are headed in. The quality of your drawings are spot on.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  10:14:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Philip,

Your engine shed is looking good already! The large doors with round tops add a bit of class.

Maybe you will motivate Bernd to work on his engine shed; he must be getting tired of stonework.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  12:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Philip,

Maybe you will motivate Bernd to work on his engine shed; he must be getting tired of stonework.

Mike

I hope you're talking about the HO roundhouse I want to build? I've shoved all my TT scale projects, including the TT scale engine house, in a drawer probably never to be opened again.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  2:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philip, you know I'll be following along.

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 01/07/2020 :  8:34:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gents!

Carl, The program is cad std.

Free download here: http://www.cadstd.com/

I use it for all my structures. Something I can actually navigate with ease without the huge learning curb. It will print to scale dead on!

Philip

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/08/2020 :  08:55:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After looking at the Free vs: Pro, I'd go with the Pro version. For $37.50 you get so much more. Offsets and fillets are a huge help. I use them all the time with my cad program.

Frank

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 01/08/2020 08:58:51 AM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/08/2020 :  09:34:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be following along with you too, Phillip. This looks like another winning project, especially if it's built by you!

Rich

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 01/12/2020 :  2:34:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really appreciate all the nice compliments!

Frank, At one time I had the pro version, was lost when my computer crashed. Lost everything.

Bernd, Following your thread! See bottom photo.

I finally received my lumber from Northwest! Eight days from order to door for those interested in ship time. Packed nicely with lots of peanut packaging.

All wall plans are finished so I'll start with the short end wall. Something easy and hopeful for a quick build. I modified all the plans, made many changes trying to get a balanced look. I also doubled up the bottom of the window openings to burn more lumber. Actually to give a more prototype look. As a former trim carpenter I was always adding nailers that framers seem to forget about.

During the last week I also modified a Bachmann Cattle car, cut off the walls and roof, shortened to about 19'. Adding a hunkered down Bachmann frame my son-in-law gave me for Christmas. Added stake pockets (wiseman)/ posts. It's close to paint. Figured I'd share.

Bernd, I want you to see the resemblance! I may have to go vertical.

I'll try to post progress soon! Thanks again!
Philip

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: ET&WNC Stoney Creek Branch Topic Next Topic: Looking for I deas on building O scale SHADOW BOX  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000