Railroad Line Forums - Great Lakes Lighthouse Build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 240 ]  [ Total: 245 ]  [ Newest Member: Canyon man ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Great Lakes Lighthouse Build
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Ben Threshers Mill Topic Next Topic: Bar Mills Jerrys Tractor & Small Engine Repair:
Page: of 22

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  06:50:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New Year friends!

My newest project returns me to my roots geographically, but also from a modeling perspective. In the past, I've built many waterside scenes, including docks, wharfs and lighthouses. So, welcome to a scratch build in HO scale, of a historical spot back in my hometown of Dunkirk, New York. The Dunkirk Lighthouse and Keepers Dwelling.

For a better perspective- here's the location from Google Maps, beside the southern shores of one of the five Great Lakes, Lake Erie.

A traditional cone shaped tower was built in 1837. A third order Fresnel lens was installed in 1857 and is still in use today.

After the original tower began to crumble in place, it was rebuilt in 1875, and was clad in the squared off stonework visible today.

The attached keeperís dwelling, also built in 1875, is a High Victorian Gothic structure fashioned from red brick. The exterior is symmetrical with three large dormer windows, each with vintage wooden braces, adorning the north and south sides of the residence. The roofís gabled ends are decorated with boarding and brackets. The green shutters are original but are now plastic, and were previously on every window. A maintenance headache, all but the first floor units were removed permanently. I will not include them, because I prefer that look. The familiar red brick with white trim is quite boring, but that's expected in these types of structures.

The last "human" keeper occupied the house till 1960, when it was automated, and the light is still active today.

If interested, you can read more background history here:

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=294

The lighthouse is also listed on the National Register of Historic places. It has been carefully restored and turned into a nautical museum and souvenir shop, open May thru October. It was saved by a non-profit organization, and has not fallen into disrepair. Therefore, I will depict this model as it appears today .

Tours are available for a fee. I have been there only once, and it's worth every penny. Regrettably, I took only a few photos at the time.

I became frustrated trying to do some basic research. After contacting the Museum itself, they no longer possessed any architectural drawings or plans. They thought the Coast Guard had them, but the Coast Guard claimed they handed all of those over to the National Archives. Hmmm. In fact, the National Archives in College Park MD does have them, but require a professional researcher to be paid on site to do the necessary locating, copying and mailing. The fees were unacceptable. The Archives are in the process of digitizing all their lighthouse documents & posting them on-line, but they admit that will take years.

So I must fall back on many on-line tourist photos, brick row counting, known common values and personal judgment. In fact, Branchline Trains/Laser Art offers a kit called the "Rocky Point" Lighthouse, which is nearly an exact copy of the place...but I am not interested....

I shall begin this teeth pulling exercise next time....

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  07:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!!!!!!

What a fantastic subject for a build.

You KNOW I will be following your every step.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  08:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great modeling subject, Carl. I'll be checking in.

Bruce

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  09:04:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl, Another neat project! My wife went to school in Fredonia and had gone to the shore of the lake a few times to watch/listen to the ice break up in the spring - but somehow always East of the lighthouse point.
She was surprised to see the lightkeeper's house in your photos.

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  09:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great subject for modeling. The Great Lakes is surrounded by dozens of beautiful and unique light houses.

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  09:15:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

All right Carl, go for it.

Frank

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  09:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks like a challenging structure, Carl. It will be interesting to watch you build it.

George

kebmo
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  09:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hot diggity dog! you're going to crush this build. your last light house was a mindblower....

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  09:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. You know how many times Iíve driven by Dunkirk on the Thruway and never stopped to see this?

Itís going to be a wonderful model, Carl.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  09:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. You know how many times Iíve driven by Dunkirk on the Thruway and never stopped to see this?

Itís going to be a wonderful model, Carl.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  09:55:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll be following along. I'm interested how an expert goes about building a model when all he has are pictures. An SBS for dummies like me would be nice.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  09:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make it so, Carl!

Pete
in Michigan

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  10:07:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks to be another outstanding project to follow Carl. Looking forward to your progress!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  10:11:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Carl, nice way to start kick the new year. I'm looking forward to following along!

David Guffey

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  10:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What Bernd said, though if you weren't starting it right now, perhaps one of us could visit with a tape measure and at least get the ground plan. I've spent the night in Dunkirk while traveling to one or another NMRA National in the midwest, but didn't know of the lighthouse.

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  10:52:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl,

Your project subjects are always enlightening, and I am sure this one will be truly spectacular.
A few years ago when my wife and I were doing more traveling, we always stopped at lighthouses along the NY shore. Somehow, we never went to this one.
Your presentation is a delight to read, and most importantly, I'm sure your build will be as beautiful as the original prototype is to see. I will definitely be following along. Very nice.

Rich

Page: of 22 Previous Topic: Ben Threshers Mill Topic Next Topic: Bar Mills Jerrys Tractor & Small Engine Repair:  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.67 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000