Railroad Line Forums - The 2020 Group Challenge Main Thread
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 269 ]  [ Total: 271 ]  [ Newest Member: MOONVLL ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 The 2020 Group Challenge Main Thread
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Possible Tom Yorke Pool Hall Bordello kit - HO & O Topic Next Topic: FOS Rust Rock Falls Kit Build
Page: of 58

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  2:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark, those vessels at Terminal Island Fish Harbor unloaded their catches of sardines and tuna directly into the canneries’ those long big chutes, something like a grain elevator, leading into the recesses of the canneries that line the land side of the wharf on Terminal Island, the crews would be ladling out scoopfuls of sardines. The silver colored fish come up in the meshes on the end of a long handle, and then disappear into the elevator and are carried up, sideways into the cannery to be processed.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  6:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike M., I'm glad your photos are turning out better. I like the paint colors you chose.

Louis, your anvil is a tour de force of tiny.

Bruce, I'm looking forward to watching you build your water tank and will be taking notes; I need one for a new scene.

Mark, intriguing and picturesque structures. They are a mystery to me. It's hard to see some of the details with the boats' masts and rigging obscuring details of the towers in the painting. Looks like Louis has the answer, although some of the details are still elusive.

Regarding my own efforts, I have all but the roof complete for the sawing building, and have stained walls for the drying building:

Next step is cutting out a couple dozen openings.

Mike

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  10:09:43 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

Thanks for the responses in regards to my mystery towers.

Frank - that is one of the pictures I have found, however I only had a part description, and when I added San Pedro to the search it came up with another useful black and white image.

Bob - thanks for your explanation. It was what I thought must happen, but just couldn't make out the details.

Louis - that picture is the best I have seen so far - thanks for that. Your description is also very helpful.

Cheers, Mark.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  10:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ground goop is spread on like frosting a cake with frosting. Then the track is set down into the wet ground goop. Once the ground goop dried, I was out of Lamp Black and Raw Senna colors, so I substituted an Engine Black paint mixed with turpentine brushed over the ties, and ground goop dirt down the center to represent oil and grease stains down the length of track center. And, also a Rust mixed with turpentine was brushed down both sides of the track ties to represent rust stains.
The next process for this project is the scenery. Trees, bushes and ground foliage.

[NOTE]: For the complete construction process for my track weathering, and steps taken pictures information, of this portion of the project, see here; http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52353

Louis

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/10/2020 :  10:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, you are all leaving me in the dust. I will be back home soon and hope to make progress. Louis, nice goop!

dad4the3
New Hire

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  08:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[img]http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/data/dad4the3/202011184752_peanut butter lid 1.jpg[/img i did finish my lid.This will have to do.

dad4the3
New Hire

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  08:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

dad4the3
New Hire

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  08:55:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
still working on posting pics.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  09:58:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patrick, it looks like you've got it. If you want the picture larger, you can use photo editing software like Paint.net (free) to do so. Otherwise, that photo looks fine. I see you left the closing "]" off the previous post.

I see that you are a bit north and west of me. I'm down near Holly, MI in Oakland County.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  12:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some progress on the water tank.

The purpose of inserting the wooden napkin holder into the cardboard tube is to keep it 'round'. Otherwise the tube is too flexible to work with. The only problem was that the tubes that I have available were either a bit too small in diameter or a bit too big. (Now the 41 year collection of cardboard tubes that I had back in New Jersey would probably have had one that fit perfectly, but that collection did not make the move to Michigan.}

So, to rectify that I figured that I'd cut the tube vertically, wrap it tight around the napkin holder, letting the ends overlap, mark it, cut it, and I'd have a perfect fit. The following few pictures show that process.

Yeah, I know that eyeballing the cut would have worked, but you have to use those squares sometime, or what's the use of having them?

Notice that I had cut the tube long enough that it will stick above the balsa wood disc that I will glue to the top of the napkin ring.

Now that I had a tight fit, I held it tight in my hand and adjusted a compass to fit just inside the cardboard tube above the napkin holder to get an accurate inside diameter. I then cut that in half for the radius, adjusted the compass, and drew a disc on my piece of balsa. Cutting it out was easy with a #11 blade.

And, the final result after gluing, trimming off the excess tube, and lightly hitting the top edge with a sanding stick. (One of those great foamboard filing sticks from Sally's.)

I'm now ready to start gluing stripwood over that tank.

Bruce

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  1:07:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

quote:
Originally posted by mark_dalrymple

Hi guys.

If anyone has any information on the two towers to the right of my drawing could they please contact me?

Mark, normally, when someone goes thru the trouble to build an elevated structure it is either to gain height for access underneath (like the photo of the saw dust loader below) or in the case of a water tank, to gain water pressure. I'm not sure what those are, but it seems to me the question to ask to get at their purpose is "why elevate them?"

It looks like they are susceptible to high water from that sketch. Just keeping their feet dry?

Jim

Take the red pill

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  5:01:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For some update on my project: Starting with the first steps of my scenery for the Farrier service peanut butter lid challenge, I’m using a product called a “Pot Topper” sold at many craft stores. I get mine at Michaels Stores. MikeC and Bruce DeYoung (Dutchman) did a how-to “Using Pot Toppers in Scenery Construction” some years back. See here; http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26141
The first set of pictures shows the package as it comes. You can get it in 4” and 6” circles. The top side is a mixed green color, and the back side is a forest ground type of color.
I started with the Ground Goop surface, used white glue, and attached some green grass at the rear of my track scenery project, and the forest color in the foreground of the track, as seen in the second set of pictures.
I’ll be moving on to have some trees and bushes installed.

Louis

mark_dalrymple
Fireman

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  5:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Send mark_dalrymple an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Jim.

I think the simple answer is ease of transportation. I think the use some sort of conveyor system to get the fish from the wharf up the tower and then another to get them across to the factory. I didn't sketch in the factory which will sit on the other side of both road and tracks, as it is beyond what I am attempting to build for the challenge. As Louis pointed out, the fish are ladled from the boats onto a conveyor belt which then transports the fish up and across to the factory.

My next search will be along the lines of 'unloading sardines at terminal island, historical'. Hopefully that will give me some better images of the details of these towers and the unloading process.

Cheers, Mark.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  6:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou, I haven't seen those pot toppers in Michael's in a while. Did you get yours recently? I still have a few squirreled away, but would like to get a few more if they still have them.

Bruce

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 01/11/2020 :  9:25:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Lou, I haven't seen those pot toppers in Michael's in a while. Did you get yours recently? I still have a few squirreled away, but would like to get a few more if they still have them.

They do still have them here in the Middletown, RI store as of last week. However, I noticed they had less of those pot toppers, and more of the grass sheets. Maybe they are fazing them out.

Louis

Page: of 58 Previous Topic: Possible Tom Yorke Pool Hall Bordello kit - HO & O Topic Next Topic: FOS Rust Rock Falls Kit Build  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000