Railroad Line Forums - In-ko-pah RR: New project
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 154 ]  [ Total: 159 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 In-ko-pah RR: New project
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4 Topic Next Topic: structures on the LP&N RR vol. 5
Page: of 7

Terrell
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  12:06:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done, Ray!! The whole scene looks great!!

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 02/02/2020 :  12:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray beautiful work!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2020 :  01:48:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Way back in 2013 I built an ore bin and headframe for the Princess Shilo Mine. When I quit work on it in January 2014, the headframe was made from Western red cedar and only partially painted, and lacked details such as tie rods, nut/bolt/washers, etc:

A year later I repainted the steel hopper, using "Instant Iron" and "Instant Rust" from Sophisticated Finishes. In April 2017 I modified some of the stony terrain around the mine, and put in a conduit to be used for wiring the structures with lights. Since then I've done no more work on the mine. Until now...

The unpainted portion of the headframe was badly weather after 6 years of exposure to the elements, and the glued joints were coming apart. So I had to repair those parts, and then repainted the entire structure. Next I added tie rods made from thin brass rods. Slices of styrene tube were slipped over the ends to roughly simulate the appearance of a nut and washer. In places that didn't include tie rods, NBW castings were used.

I couldn't find a suitable sheave (the large pulley wheel at the top of the headframe) so I decided to make my own. I started with a metal casting of a "cannon wheel" from Ozark Miniatures:

Unfortunately the casting is lopsided, and the hole for the axle is off-center. I had no easy way to correct these issues, so it'll just have to do. At least I don't need it to be functional. Sadly, I neglected to get any in-progress photos. Anyway, to make it a pulley, it needs a grooved rim. I created this by cutting two rings from styrene sheet and gluing one on each side of the wheel. This gave me a channel around the rim, which I filled with putty. Then I sanded a V-shaped groove into the putty. I sprayed the wheel with self-etching primer, followed by a coat of gloss black:

Next, I made an axle from 1/8" diameter brass rod, and made the pillow block bearings from bits of styrene tube and styrene strips. The NBW castings are from Grandt Line. I ended up removing two of the castings from each bearing, and replaced them with HO track nails to help secure the bearings to the wooden headframe:

The bearings and sheave were mounted on the headframe. Then I weathered them using the Instant Iron/Rust solution:

The ore is brought up out of the mine in carts. The carts are pushed across a platform and dumped into the ore bin, through a "grizzly". This is a heavy steel grate used to separate out any oversized chunks of ore. I built the platform out of Western red cedar, painted with acrylic house paint. Then I made the grizzly out of styrene:

The track for the ore cart was laid using Code 100 rail set to HO gauge, which comes out to about 15 inches in 1/24th scale. I glued the rails in place before spiking them. I also made a crude, small turntable so that the carts can be diverted for dumping waste rock:

The rails, turntable, and grizzly were given the Instant Iron/Rust treatment:

Here's how it looks on the layout so far:

I still have much more to do -- I have to make a chute for dumping the waste rock off to the side; finish cementing the stony terrain around the mine; cast a foundation; build the hoist house and other structures, etc. I also want to make an ore cart, and maybe sculpt a figure to go with it.

Edited by - Ray Dunakin on 03/06/2020 01:50:16 AM

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2020 :  03:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Ray

TomO

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2020 :  06:03:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking really wonderful, Ray. I'm happy to see you keeping us in awe of your modeling skills again.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2020 :  07:43:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ray,
Very nice! It's good to see you're refurbishing the railroad. It's a beautiful layout deserving a long life!

David Guffey

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2020 :  08:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to see the Inkopah being well cared for. Looks great.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 03/07/2020 08:38:41 AM

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2020 :  08:58:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Ray. I've had to make my own parts too even for HO scale, after not finding them on any site. I like what you did by making your turntable, and it has given me an idea for future use, thanks for the inspiration. I never would have thought of that.

Rich

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/06/2020 :  09:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent modeling, Ray! You get very real-looking metals and rust effects.

Mike

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/06/2020 :  8:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful job on the bakery Ray'.. Incredible workmanship and modeling'... Likewise on the wheel as well....

Ted

elminero67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/07/2020 :  6:09:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking head frame, and good save on the sheave. Also, donít worry if you donít have real estate for a waste rock dump-we frequently find shafts with little or no waste rock dump as it was cheaper and easier to remove material via an adit or haul
tunnel. And bonus points for not calling the waste rock dump tailings.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2020 :  3:53:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray, I've been away from the forum for a while but periodically check in. I was pleasantly surprised to see this thread and see that you are back at it as I find your work very motivating.

As always, the bakery turned out fantastic!

Thanks for sharing your step by step. It amazes me how you achieve the effects that you achieve.

Mark

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 03/21/2020 :  01:19:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 04/01/2020 :  01:53:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A mine like this needs an ore cart, so I built one. It was loosely modeled after this old ore cart in Goldfield, NV:

I started by cutting out the bottom, sides, and ends of the cart's "tub". Then I glued styrene angles to the inside bottom edges of the side panels:

I began to assembly it, first gluing the sides to the bottom panel:

Styrene strips were added to represent the iron straps. I simulated rivet heads by dipping the tip of a sharpened brass rod into some thick CA adhesive and dabbing it onto the model:

The prototype ore cart has a mechanism connecting the "tub" to the frame. This mechanism allows the tube to rotate and to tilt for dumping, and has a fairly complex shape. I didn't try to make an exact replica, just something that would look "close enough". I started by cutting a 3/8" wide section from the side of a 1" diameter styrene tube. Then I carved it into an approximate shape, added a bit of putty here and there as needed, and built up some details with styrene strips, etc:

At the rear end of the cart is a release lever that allows the tub to be titled for dumping. I cut this out of a sheet of .020" styrene:

The lever hooks onto a bracket at the end of the frame. I made the bracket by gluing a short piece of styrene angle to another section of angle, then sliced off a piece to the correct width:

I built the frame out of various styrene strips. I also built two axle bearings. These aren't prototypically accurate but they aren't really going to show, and I needed to keep them simple. The axle bearings won't be glued in place until after everything has been painted. I used HO scale train wheels for the cart's wheels:

The ore cart's tub, frame, and axle bearings were all painted separately, using Rustoleum paint/primer satin black. The tub was glued to the frame. Then the axles were lubed with a plastic-safe grease and inserted into the bearings. The bearings were then glued to the bottom of the frame. At this stage the ore cart is complete, but it looks brand new:

Of course I don't want it to look new. I want it to look like it's had several years of hard use. So I weathered it. Most of the weathering was done using Sophisticated Finishes brand "Iron" and "Rust Solution". I had a little trouble with the cast metal wheels -- whatever metal they were made of wasn't quite compatible with the rust solution chemicals. I ended up painting them with rust-colored acrylics.

To finish off the cart, I made a load of ore by carving a piece of pink insulating foam to fit into the tub, and glued crushed rocks to it. I also installed a small lead weight in the bottom of the cart, centered over the wheels, to give it a little heft and keep the center of gravity low. Here's how it turned out:

That's all for now. Eventually I will sculpt a miner figure to go with the cart.

Edited by - Ray Dunakin on 04/01/2020 02:04:02 AM

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/01/2020 :  06:02:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray, The cart looks fantastic and fits quite well into the scene. Outstanding paint job.

Your s-b-s made me want to get back into styrene modeling. All I need is the inspirational subject to model.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Structures on th LP&N RR, vol.4 Topic Next Topic: structures on the LP&N RR vol. 5  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.69 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000