Railroad Line Forums - In-ko-pah RR: New project
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 225 ]  [ Total: 228 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 In-ko-pah RR: New project
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Intro.- the Holt house- the White house. 11-23-20 Topic Next Topic: structures on the LP&N RR vol. 5
Page: of 7

tloc
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2020 :  08:24:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So glad you back and showing your wonderful skills, both for the structure and description of the build. Hope the arm is and getting better.

TomO

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2020 :  09:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As always, your coloring and weathering is really good. How did you like using thinned "house paint" (acrylic latex?) ? Do you think it will hold up better there outside?

Philip
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2020 :  3:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work Ray, glad your still modeling!

Philip

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2020 :  9:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, everyone!

Bill, I've been using the acrylic latex house paints for a while now and they seem to hold up ok. I hoping that they will be more resistant to fading than the craft acrylics, since the house paint is indoor/outdoor. But the jury's still out -- only time will tell for sure. And I still use some craft acrylics, such as white, which isn't going to fade, and other colors for interior details.

elminero67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  08:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great work as usual. Iím curious about your use of glass for the windows-where are you sourcing it, how thick is it, how do you cut it and secure it? Thanks, Duane

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  1:18:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elminero67

Great work as usual. Iím curious about your use of glass for the windows-where are you sourcing it, how thick is it, how do you cut it and secure it? Thanks, Duane

The glass I use is only 0.05" thick. It comes in 12' x 12" sheets:

https://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/m3012.html

When I first started out, I tried using slide cover glass but I couldn't find any large enough for most 1/24th scale windows.

I use clear silicone caulk to secure the glass. I apply it with a toothpick to the back of the window frame, then press the glass onto it. After it sets up I use an X-acto knife to trim/scrape off any excess.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  6:49:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ray. Nice to see the In-ko-pah RR back up again.
Nice structure.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 01/05/2020 :  10:12:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, I forgot to mention that I "cut" the glass by scribing it with a carbide steel scribe. Then I snap it off. When starting on a new, large sheet of glass I find it works better to cut the sheet in half or so first, then work my way down to the smaller, finished sizes.

And definitely wear eye protection!

Edited by - Ray Dunakin on 01/05/2020 10:13:51 PM

elminero67
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/06/2020 :  9:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like a bit more work but I think the results are worthwhile as nothing reflects light the same way as glass

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2020 :  12:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Progress continues...

The two post that support the overhang were painted in the same manner as the windows:

Before I get any further, I want to explain a little about how I design and paint a freelanced structure such as this. If I were replicating a prototype, I would simply copy what I see. This building has no specific prototype, so I imagine what the building's history might have been, based on what I know of prototypical mining town structures that have survived into the modern era.

As I imagine it, this structure was built during the town's first boom period. It was probably just a single-story building, painted with cheap whitewash. At some point there was a need to expand the business, and with no room on either side, the building was remodeled with a second story. The building has housed many different kinds of businesses over the years.

The town went through many periods of boom and bust, depending on the success and failures of the mines as well as larger economic factors (stock panics, etc.) This structure saw long periods of neglect, resulting in the loss of original paint and heavy weathering of the wood. In later years it was repainted now and then, with varying degrees of weathering between each coat of paint. The blue accents were adding during the most recent refurbishing. Currently the structure is once again showing its age. This is not such a bad thing, since the increasing tourist trade finds it charming.

Now, on to the painting...

The building was sprayed inside and out with white primer. Then I started painting the base "weathered wood" color, once again starting with a lighter brown and gradually adding more layers of color. I want the "wood" to show some variety of coloration, but there's no need to get detailed with it:

Reaching into the recessed entryway was tricky. I finally bent a cheap craft paint brush and reinforced the joint with glue, to make a brush that could get around corners:

The lower section of the east wall, and almost the entire west wall, will be hidden by neighboring structures. So these were just given a simple coat of undiluted brown house paint:

After the base color had dried, I began work on the finish colors. As usual, I start with a light application of paint, and gradually add more. The white paint is applied using the dry-brush technique. Here's an in-progress shot:

The storefront is sheltered by the overhang and neighboring buildings, so I will make the paint look less weathered in this area:

Here's the finished appearance after going over the white and blue a few more times. (The wooden sidewalk has also been painted.)

Here's a closer look at the false front, after the first application of color:

And here it is finished. Note that the white paint is more solid directly below the fancy details at the top of the wall. I figured that overhanging structure would shelter the top of the wall a little bit:

The top surface bears the brunt of the weather, so I painted it to look very worn. Layers of blue and white paint are visible as well as some bare "wood":

This side wall is also less weathered under the shelter of the eaves:

Here are a couple shots of the building after painting was finished:

There is still much to be done. I have to add signs to the exterior, I have put glass in the windows, install the upstairs windows and the side door, complete the interior, etc.

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2020 :  06:11:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray, OUTSTANDING as usual for you, and thanks for the s-b-s explanation of your weathering techniques.

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2020 :  09:25:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgtbob

Ray, OUTSTANDING as usual for you, and thanks for the s-b-s explanation of your weathering techniques.

Bob

Ray, I agree with Bob!

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/09/2020 :  09:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like the imagined history. The degree and placement of the different levels of weathering make sense.

Mike

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2020 :  11:50:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ray your usual "OUTSTANDING WORK".

Great tutorial thanks for all the info.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/09/2020 :  10:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful detail work with the building and the weathering! It's a pleasure to watch you create your projects!

David Guffey

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Intro.- the Holt house- the White house. 11-23-20 Topic Next Topic: structures on the LP&N RR vol. 5  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000