Railroad Line Forums - Opinion on this font?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: fd ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Opinion on this font?
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: 28 boxcar project
Page: of 2

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  3:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want large building signs for my 1890s era layout, that I can actually get on my Mac :-(

Opinions on this?

thanks in advance

dave
Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  4:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First choice. For some reason the letters on the 2nd choice run together to my eye.

Bryan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  4:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brownbr

First choice. For some reason the letters on the 2nd choice run together to my eye.

Interesting, thanks! The only difference is there's 2 spaces between the words on the top sign. I can probably play with kerning/spacing.

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  4:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, The Font style looks fine to me. Do you have stage coach on the MAC? In addition I find Block Gothic useful.

Bob

It's only make-believe

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  4:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dave, I also agree with Bryan being the first set of fonts looking better visually. There are many Railroad Fonts and Vintage Fonts on the web free for the taking and using on a MAC. Have you looked into them???
One link; https://www.fontspace.com/category/mac

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Early1905
New Hire

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  4:52:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Early1905's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Difenatly play with the kerning. The letters will run together from a distance.

Howard Garner

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  4:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
I like the top one too.

You've been here right?

https://www.fontspace.com/category/vintage

Jim

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  5:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The extra space betweenletters is more appealing. IMHO

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  7:07:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

The extra space betweenletters is more appealing. IMHO

That's it! I knew the first was better also, but couldn't put a finger on why. It is the spacing between words.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  8:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, You asked about the font. That particularversion is modern for your time frame, but Clarendon and similar typefaces first showed up about mid 1800s, so you have a good feel for what works.
A few things
Why is there extra empty black space on the left and right ends on the first sign? After painting that extra background area a sign painter would probably fill up the space by spelling out "COMPANY".
Why is "TOOLS" closer to the center and "PARTS" offset farther to the right instead of than both words spaced in a similar way? under the company name - perhaps the example is a mock up.
The letter spacing and word spacing on the second sign look good to me except for the extra black mentioned above.
The dashes between words in the second sign aren't typical for signs of that time, though that doesn't mean you can't find examples with them.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 12/11/2019 8:43:36 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  9:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Bill G. about whitespace/blackspace. When I look at pre-WWII signs the lettering (or graphic) fills much more of the available area than current styles. I would also fiddle the letter spacing so the minimum glyph-glyph separation is 5-10% of the letter width.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2019 :  9:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And Bill also has a clinic stashed somewhere on "letterbashing."

That might be worth looking into. IIRC, signs back then were laid out on-site by master painters, not graphic artists....

YMMV

Pete
in Michigan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/12/2019 :  10:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's another go. I've found a couple photos and drawings of OWSC buildings, they all share a surprisingly plain (and modern) looking font.

See http://www.mackeysclockrepair.net/sj96-268.jpg as an example.

I'll need to more precisely measure the areas where "Tools" and "Parts" are, to match the structure. That means I need to finish the front door trim first :-) :-)

Then I'll redraw the signs in a different program that allows me to get more control over letter kerning (space between individual letters)

dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2019 :  11:43:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

The lettering in the photo is very similar to the Block lettering that Clover House sells. Im not suggesting you use it, but itís reassuring to those of us who have used it for lettering signs.

What font have you used here? It looks pretty good.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2019 :  11:53:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, One font that looks close to the lettering on the sign above the storefront that you posted is called Olney. I found the font using Identifont, a neat website for idnetifying typefaces in various ways.
http://www.identifont.com/

The sample is Olney Light (Light faces have thinner than "regular" letter strokes).

There are numerous sites where you can download fonts for free, including that one. However, sometimes downloading free fonts runs the risk of simultaneously downloading malware as well, so if you decide to go that route, check out the reputation of the source.

The font you used for your sample sign shown below the photo looks like a Helvetica face. (There are MANY Helvetica styles). Helevetica was designed in 1957 and because there are so many varieties it is one that is very often used by model railroaders as a generic, plain looking letter. But it is the font that immediately leaps out as a too "modern" typeface to graphic designers and typographers.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 12/12/2019 12:45:08 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2019 :  12:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm finding this tread very informative. I thought I knew a little about this but, apparently not enough.

Bill, do you have a short list of Fonts that were in use from 1870-90?

Bob

It's only make-believe

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Small Layout Design Help/Challenge - c.1905 Pennsy Topic Next Topic: 28 boxcar project  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000