Railroad Line Forums - Rockcrusher & Engine Roundhouse Projects
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 73 ]  [ Total: 73 ]  [ Newest Member: tx28 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Rockcrusher & Engine Roundhouse Projects
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: In-ko-pah RR: New project Topic Next Topic: 36 / 42 TON SHAY DRAWING
Page: of 10

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  3:02:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Bernd said, " Why don’t you just scribe the blocks on larger pieces of soapstone and be done with it. One reason. Can anybody figure it out? Post your answer."

Simple, because you want to make blocks.

Well, you are partially right there.

Ok, here's your answer, and the beer's on me. Note the variegation in the green circle? When laying blocks nobody is going pick through the big heavy blocks and match the variegation. The bigger the piece the more noticeable it would be.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 12/03/2019 3:03:36 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  3:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Dang Bernd you are so smart.

Frank

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  3:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Dang Bernd you are so smart.

Oh stop it. My wife says my head's to big for me now.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/03/2019 :  4:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

Re: question, I’m surmising soapstone doesn’t come in wall sized pieces...or it’s too fragile or heavy

You had me wondering so I did a search and came up with this info.

Dimensions: as each stone is unique, sizes will vary upon availability. Average slab size is 80” x 40” – 120” x 70”. Tiles or special sizes may be available upon request.
Thickness: standard stock thickness is ¾” and 1 ¼” for most materials, however 2” and other thicknesses may be available upon request.

I think the slab in the picture is bigger than the average slab.

Bernd

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2019 :  6:25:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice project Bernd! You might try balsa foam. You would be able to incorporate both rough positive cast stone and quoin corners in a single sheet.

Philip

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2019 :  8:23:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

Nice project Bernd! You might try balsa foam. You would be able to incorporate both rough positive cast stone and quoin corners in a single sheet.

Philip

Thanks for stopping by Philip. I'll be looking at the technique when I get to building the roundhouse. For now I'm going with cutting up the soapstone into blocks for the rock crusher building.

Bernd

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/04/2019 :  9:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Philip's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have always wanted to do a project with soap stone! Seems the only available stuff is for marking steel.

I'll be watching!

Philip

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/04/2019 :  9:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Philip

I have always wanted to do a project with soap stone! Seems the only available stuff is for marking steel.

I'll be watching!

Philip

Check out Dick Blick. That's where I got my larger pieces from.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  09:48:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The first experimental pieces have come off the mill.

But first, I did a little more research on block sizes. The standard concrete block size I’m going to base these blocks on are Actual size 11 5/8 x 7 5/8 x 15 5/8 Nominal Size 12 x 8 x 16. My blocks are going to be 14” X 14” X 20” Remember the quarry company could make up its own sizes. Being the companies CEO, that’s what I decided on from what my architect had said.

I got much information from the Indiana Limestone Company website.
A view of there yard of limestone sized rock.

Here’s a chart for what the Indiana Limestone Company sells. These are standard blocks for a running bond.

These are the sizes for a “stretcher” row.

So this morning I started out by setting up the CNC mill. I glued some aircraft plywood onto a MDF base to hold the slab of soapstone from being pushed away. I used a climbing cut which also helped hold the slab down and push it against the stop. I’ll take a video of this process next time around. For now here are some stills. The mill got pretty dusty cutting 16 slots or pieces.

This gives a view of the slots milled in the wood. The other cuts in the wood is from cutting out some acrylic plastic for the rock bunker mold.

And the first bars of soapstone. They are .160” square.

I placed a penny on them for size comparison.

This is something you’re not going to do free hand and hold accuracy. It took a couple of hours hand coding the machine to cut these.
Up next is making a fixture to cut them to a length of 20 scale inches.
Bernd

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  10:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great. Yep, it looks easy to the casual observer. Takes a lot of time doing the setup, but the results are awesome. Are you building a fixture to cross cut them in a batch of 10 or more? Fun stuff!

Jim

P.S. 90% or more of the buildings in the Capitol in D.C. were made from Indiana limestone. Those quarry's are humongous.

Edited by - BurleyJim on 12/05/2019 11:14:17 AM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  11:48:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Bernd. Amazing.

Maybe I missed it. How large a piece of soapstone did you get from Dick Blick?

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  12:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are amazing, Bernd... nuff said!
Excellent! work and craftsmanship..and you once stated you would take a seat to watch me build structures?.. I think you have surpassed that day...

Rich

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  4:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Looks great. Yep, it looks easy to the casual observer. Takes a lot of time doing the setup, but the results are awesome. Are you building a fixture to cross cut them in a batch of 10 or more? Fun stuff!

Jim

P.S. 90% or more of the buildings in the Capitol in D.C. were made from Indiana limestone. Those quarry's are humongous.

I think once everything is laid out as to how it's done it'll be easy to understand. The process of making model blocks is no different than making the real thing. My next post will explain how I'm going to do it.

Ya, I was surprised how big. IIRC in their literature it said 4,500 acres.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  4:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl B

Wow Bernd. Amazing.

Maybe I missed it. How large a piece of soapstone did you get from Dick Blick?

The sizes I got varied in length by 3" square and there were four pieces. One of the members asked where he could get large pieces like that. When I went to the sight they had varied the sizes from when I purchased mine over a year ago.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/05/2019 :  4:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

You are amazing, Bernd... nuff said!
Excellent! work and craftsmanship..and you once stated you would take a seat to watch me build structures?.. I think you have surpassed that day...

Rich

Thanks Rich. No I haven't surpassed you yet. I still haven't built a building and posted it on the forum. This will be my first scratch-built structure on the forum. So I'll still sit and watch you build structures. It's tough to surpass any of the members on here when it comes to building structures. I have a ways to go to catch up.

Bernd

Page: of 10 Previous Topic: In-ko-pah RR: New project Topic Next Topic: 36 / 42 TON SHAY DRAWING  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.92 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000